Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mushihimesama (Cave bullet hell classic) on Switch now

Started by Chedney Honks, June 15, 2021, 09:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I don't know how much, fifteen quid or something, but if you want to play a proper Cave bullet hell which is pretty straightforward and accessible (much more so than ESP.Ra.De. Psi), it's just been released out of the fucking blue on the Switch eShop.

Great soundtrack, cool bug aesthetic, loads of modes and difficulty settings, proper Cave bullet hell patterns and slowdown, the real fucking deal. Cheap as fuck for what it is.

Kelvin, specifically, I remember you enjoying some shmups on Switch a good while ago. This is the proper shit. CAVE on Switch. We're genuinely fortunate to have this.

Do it Kelvin. Dooo iiiit.
Good idea. These recruitment drives might be more successful if we focus all our attention on one player at a time.

Not available on the UK eShop at the moment. Hopefully it gets added tomorrow.

Chedney Honks

It was available same time as the Japanese and US eShop yesterday. It is definitely on there.

Excellent. It seems to be available on the console itself, but not via the web version.

Chedney Honks

Ah, OK. Fair enough, not used that for a few years. Hope you can get it no worries.

Kelvin

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into this. TBH, its hard to tell from videos online as bullet-hells, especially played on harder difficulties, tend to look very similar. But if it's a particularly good bullet-hell, or one which is more accessible, I would certainly be interested.

madhair60

Probably my favourite Cave shooter, though I still gave up on level three when it was throwing out patterns you have to know are coming to have a hope in hell of dodging. That stuff doesn't motivate me to play more in order to memorise it, unfortunately. The undulating carapaces and exoskeletons sort of grossed me out in a cool way and the music is ace. It's fun until it's rote memorisation which, again, level three.

The time it takes for your speed to change when using your focus shot is intentionally long. I'd say that adds to the difficulty, making the controls intentionally cumbersome.

Normal mode I'd say is a lot closer to an old-school shooter than a bullet hell. The bullet speed gets fast!
many people say that they find maniac mode easier because even though the number of bullets increases, they're a lot slower and you get way more time to react.

Of course you have to learn the stage layouts and boss bullet patterns but that all comes naturally through play.
It's a fair comment though, cave games do require a lot more memorisation than your average bullet hell, especially on normal mode where the bullet speed gets a lot faster. You ain't gonna get no blind clear here, hotshot.

It's definitely one of caves easier games, but I'd say deathsmiles, deathsmiles II, DFK (strong), donpachi, akai katana and futari black label are all easier. Actually, espgaluda is a breeze bar that last boss pattern.

Having said that, there is a novice difficulty which should be a really good "in" and the 1.5 matsuri mode makes the bullets a lot slower, until you start playing for score and point blanking enemies and raising the rank.
I'd recommend you start there if novice mode is feeling a bit tame.

Is it a particularly good bullet hell? Honestly, I wouldn't class it as bullet hell until you get to the higher difficulties.
Is it a good game? Hell, yeah!
Is it accessible? That's a tricky one. It'd do a very good job of giving you the "spectacle" and bringing you into the genre, but there are way better games to start with.
Having said that, I cut my teeth on futari and it did me no harm. Jump in and get your dick wet.

Hey, madhair, I 1cc'ed satazius the other day. Thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed it once I'd figured out the gotcha deathtraps!

madhair60

Yeah that's more my sort of game, I saw when you posted about it before but I forgot to respond, sorry. Have you played Super Hydorah?

I remember seeing that "we added acceleration to your digital controls to make them feel more like analogue. You're welcome!" picture and wanting to strangle whoever thought that was a good idea.

I think I remember trying it and not feeling it at the time, but I'll definitely give the demo another try!

Chedney Honks

I don't really like them kind of games but I liked Super Hydorah quite a lot. Rinsed it.

The demo doesn't give you much, three stages or something.
It's alright, but it was verly slow and tame. Does it pick up?
I'll stick it on my wishlist anyway, grab it if it goes on sale and give it a good go.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They really don't help themselves with these game titles. Can't they call it, I dunno, Let's Bullet or something for the Western market?