Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:26:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Distant Duos

Started by Greg Torso, June 16, 2021, 01:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Torso

HELLO BASTARDS

Distant Duos was a project extended last year through various notional lockdowns and setbacks across the world. Two artists primarily from the noise/burble/buzz/electronic sound neighbourhoods of chode were asked to collaborate on a short piece of whatever without hearing what the other was doing.

If you are a fan of field recordings, found sound, wild drum fights, saxophone abandonment, piles of dead leaves, distant squadrons of shitfire arsecraft droning overhead, meth cornflakes, grumbling, DVD start-up menus, drilling, malfunctioning laptop fans, tarzan tapes, cheap hiss shit or just listening to crickets whine on a starlit night in the hills, you might find something for you here

wait

HERE

do the fucking link

https://distantduos.bandcamp.com/

there

There are some known names in here - Thurston Moore, John Olson, Mary Lattimore, Evil Moisture, Felix Kubin, Climax Golden Twins, your dad, Phil Tod, Sam Gas Can, Tim from The Office, Thalia Zedek, Keith! Fullerton! Whitman! ... the list literally continues!

Some things I picked out that I liked:

Felix Kubin and M.C. Schmidt
- invites us into a delightful domestic scene where old Matmos-chops itemises his drug drawer whilst Felix tidies up the flat, whistling jauntily. He then sets the burglar alarm and runs a bath. Once MC is under the bubbles, Felix K sets his Casio keyboard on 'rhumba' and continues to whistle like he wants to join the Scorpions.

Anna Hochhalter and Eleanor Moore
- sounds like someone trying to get some documents photocopied while the office jazz goose blows a saxophone in their face. A duet between alto reed and fax machine. Borbetomagus getting their business portfolios together.

Chris Brokaw and Mark Charles Morgan
- a guitar pretending to be a swan is dragged all around a cellar whilst the drums go absolutely Ainsley Harriot. The drummer was in To Live And Shave In LA, which explains a lot.

Joshua Burkett and Ma Turner
- a few words of discouragement and self disapproval as an organ slides downhill, slowly.  text-to-speech hippy cremation. How to sell self-help to help self in hell?

Janet and Street Rat
- WHO IS JANET? WHO IS STREET RAT? Poked words spoken into a moving bicycle wheel. Earnest open sore night smeared into a long echo of rust, it repeats, a corpsing train track forgets its lines and cracks up. Excellent noise.

Matt Korvette and Mary Lattimore
- trembling strings, chewed up tape words, sleep aids, dried twig interlude. Solo on a dead owl. Breathing in and out, disgusted with the machinery of your own body.

Tom Borax and David More
- Sounds like a bank of dot matrix printers trying to get their shit together on the bottom of a lake. A cloud harvester starts up its turbines and gets to work ploughing the vapour trails. Here mate twat this toy hammer for a few annoying times and I'll record it yeah

Elisa Ambrogio and Chris Corsano
- YES bring tha muthafuckin grumble, bring the imbroglio. Scatter tits tube valve abuse tightened to death by vampire belts.

Chris Cooper and Matt Weston
- machine time torture. Greasy fistfuls of cafeteria forks driven into groaning appliances. SOMETHING'S GETTING SAWN IN HALF TONIGHT BOYS.
playing air guitar with your soul
all up and down the boulevards of spiritual nourishment

Thurston Moore and Phil Tod
- the elder statesmen of jamming a biro into a broken guitar pick-up. Mad props. Floating ashtray grandeur. a withered Rundgren

christ is that enough for a thread that no one will read

I hope you will take some time to explore strange expressions of sound. None of them are as good as listening to "Eyes Without A Face" drunk on wine that genuinely tastes like washing up liquid but I won't be here to hold your hand forever.

feel like my posts have wine stains and finger smudged ash and bits of outside dirt on them
like you have found them in the field

honestly the aesthetics of this post it's a disgrace

jobotic

Which of these would you class as the most peaceful? That's the one I'll listen to today.

DrGreggles

sevendaughters

Listened to the Eric Copeland one (fits together nicely) and the Chris Brokaw/Mark Morgan one (exactly what you would expect Chris Brokaw and the guy from Sightings to sound like, full album please). Good idea and look forward to the rest, even the ones that don't work.

Brundle-Fly

Will have a listen, thanks.