Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,475
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:40:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snowflake Tories

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 16, 2021, 03:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA Scottish Conservative councillor has demanded the SNP stop referring to his party as Tories.

Todd Ferguson, who represents Dalry on North Ayrshire Council, claimed that Nationalists were using the term in a derogatory way in debates.

At a local authority meeting this week he told one Nationalist councillor: "It is a derogatory term and I would prefer if you call us by our appropriate name, which is the Conservatives or Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party."

But the SNP representative Tony Gurney fired back: "On [social] media, the handle for the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party as chosen for them by their Westminster colleagues is ScotTories."

Provost Ian Clarkson, who was chairing the meeting, interrupted an argument between the pair and asked SNP members to refer to the group as the Conservatives from now on...

Ferguson told the Record he was happy to call himself a Tory when not in the council chamber - and insisted his call was about ensuring respectful debate between elected representatives.

"Tory is something used in Scotland colloquially to refer to the Conservatives and it's not used as much in England," he said.

Surely people call the Conservatives Tories in England all the time?

This is exactly the kind of thing that the right wing media would be all over if it came from the left.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-conservative-councillor-demands-snp-24330509

Imagine saying "Scottlish Conservative and Unionist Party" every time you wanted to refer to the Tories.

touchingcloth

I conducted a Google search and apparently the correct collective term for members of the party, whether English or Scottish, is "Tory cunts".

Icehaven

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 16, 2021, 03:48:55 PM

Imagine saying "Scottlish Conservative and Unionist Party" every time you wanted to refer to the Tories.

They could use ''Scottish Conservative & Unionist Members''. Abbreviated for ease of course.

jobotic

Quite right. SNP man should know his place and call the Tories The Natural Party of Government

touchingcloth

The Nazis didn't like being called Nazis, so I think we should behave conciliatorily and refrain from calling Tories Tories, and simply call them Nazis instead.

bgmnts

Tories by their nature are snowflakes arent they really? So privileged and resistant to any sort of positive change in society they think they are somehow persecuted.

It's so strange.

Captain Z

The name "Tories" of course is simply derived from the second part of their full name, the Conservatories.

idunnosomename

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 16, 2021, 03:51:18 PM
I conducted a Google search and apparently the correct collective term for members of the party, whether English or Scottish, is "Tory cunts".
or "cunts", for short

Johnny Yesno

He's clearly confused the word with the hatred with which is spoken. Mate, you could be called the Happy Bunny Goes Fluff Fluff Along and Unionist Party and it would still come across the same.

canadagoose

Scottish Tories love a good whinge. They think they're persecuted, the poor dears.

Kankurette

Tories run the country and they're still not happy and think they're oppressed.

Quote from: canadagoose on June 16, 2021, 08:03:13 PM
Scottish Tories love a good whinge. They think they're persecuted, the poor dears.

Scottish Tories don't even seem to like being called the Conservative and Unionist Party or using the colour blue either if their multi-coloured leaflets for the last election were anything to go by. It was the 'STOP ANOTHER DIVISIVE INDYREF' party, and the 'LOOK, HERE'S RUTH DAVIDSON, YOU REMEMBER HER' party, with any mention of Conservatives in tiny lettering somewhere.

canadagoose

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on June 16, 2021, 08:23:33 PM
Scottish Tories don't even seem to like being called the Conservative and Unionist Party or using the colour blue either if their multi-coloured leaflets for the last election were anything to go by. It was the 'STOP ANOTHER DIVISIVE INDYREF' party, and the 'LOOK, HERE'S RUTH DAVIDSON, YOU REMEMBER HER' party, with any mention of Conservatives in tiny lettering somewhere.
At some point the voters are going to realise Roofeh isn't the leader any more and that they've got DRoss in charge instead. Mind, considering they're mostly boomers and Lodge bigots these days (and, more locally, stuck-up Inverleith shites), they're probably not that fussed.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'd be calling them Unionists for extra confusion and negative connotations

canadagoose

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 16, 2021, 08:32:42 PM
I'd be calling them Unionists for extra confusion and negative connotations
That would be historically accurate as that's what they were called in Scotland until the '70s, but it would be confusing because Labour and the Lib Dems are also unionists.

I googled this Todd Ferguson character expecting him to be about 20 or something - somebody that wasn't old enough to remember when Tories really did get dog's abuse - and he appears to be in his forties or so. Ageing snowflake it is, then.

dr beat

So as I reside in the Edinburgh South constituency do I have to stop being 'Scouse' and now be 'of the Liverpool City Region'?

mothman

Quote from: Kankurette on June 16, 2021, 08:15:42 PM

The classic far right narrative. That's where they are as a party now.

Kankurette

Quote from: mothman on June 16, 2021, 09:02:46 PM
The classic far right narrative. That's where they are as a party now.
You can't even argue with them because they'll just scream about being silenced. They go on about how they want debate but what they really want is for everyone to agree with them.

mothman

Quote from: Kankurette on June 16, 2021, 09:03:54 PM
You can't even argue with them because they'll just scream about being silenced. They go on about how they want debate but what they really want is for everyone to agree with them.

Precisely. That's why I don't see the point in arguing with them. Because nothing, no appeal to facts or logic or simple human decency, will get them to change their minds. Even when presented with evidence of how they've (for the most part) been fooled by people who don't have their interests at heart, they'll double down and refuse to believe that too.

jobotic

Quote from: Kankurette on June 16, 2021, 08:15:42 PM

They don't think they're oppressed, they pretend they are. Can't admit they're the bad guys and can't let the hate levels go down. Fascism doesn't work if the fire goes out.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on June 16, 2021, 03:52:24 PM
They could use ''Scottish Conservative & Unionist Members''. Abbreviated for ease of course.

I'd be alright with this and would go so far to say that for once I'd support the English equivalent dropping the country prefix and claiming the definitive article.

Chedney Honks

Scottish Tory. Jesus Christ.

hamfist

canadagoose

Everyone knows their proper title is "Proud Scots but". Or "I can't support Scotland in the Euros because the SNP ruined our country".