Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:54:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Green Man by Mark Owen should be named the official album of Poundland

Started by willbo, June 16, 2021, 03:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Torso

This thread has reminded me of the time I got three Stereolab CDs in The Works for £2 each. Something that will never ever happen again. I was just chatting with a mate last night about how ridiculous charity shops are these days for pricing vinyl. No I'm not going to pay £15 for a battered-to-fuck copy of Hounds Of Love that someone's bitten a piece of the cover out of

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Greg Torso on June 17, 2021, 10:33:36 AM
This thread has reminded me of the time I got three Stereolab CDs in The Works for £2 each. Something that will never ever happen again. I was just chatting with a mate last night about how ridiculous charity shops are these days for pricing vinyl. No I'm not going to pay £15 for a battered-to-fuck copy of Hounds Of Love that someone's bitten a piece of the cover out of
Presumably when a load of vinyl is donated, someone in the shop is told to get on disogs or whatever and they price up according to whatever the top end value on that is.

Makes me miss the days when I could wander into my local Oxfam and pick up Felt's 'Ballad of the Band' EP or the Sun and the Moon's album for a couple of quid, because the old duffers in the shop didn't see it as an different for the countless copies of 'No Parlez'.

No Parlez crops a lot, but I think the record I have seen most often in charity shops is this one:

I'm pretty sure this fucker is a Poundland staple.

For years charity shops would always have a Stephen Donaldson book or two (usually a Thomas Covenant or the Gap series), this eventually got replaced by the Twilight series and after that endless copies of Fifty Shades Of Grey.

purlieu

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 17, 2021, 10:39:34 AM
Presumably when a load of vinyl is donated, someone in the shop is told to get on disogs or whatever and they price up according to whatever the top end value on that is.

Makes me miss the days when I could wander into my local Oxfam and pick up Felt's 'Ballad of the Band' EP or the Sun and the Moon's album for a couple of quid, because the old duffers in the shop didn't see it as an different for the countless copies of 'No Parlez'.
It's the same for almost everything in charity shops these days. My partner always used to pick up random bits and bobs - clothes, ornaments, etc. - being very into 'vintage' stuff, and she says these days it's all either overpriced or, more often, simply not there. Anything that's a bit weird or uncool tends to get chucked, actually valuable stuff ends up on the charity's eBay page going for good money. I mean, fair enough that they want to make as much money as they can from stock, but that they're mostly run like standard high street shops takes away a lot of the reason people would go into them in the first place.

willbo

Quote from: Greg Torso on June 17, 2021, 10:33:36 AM

They really have exchanged the experience of what it's like to buy old KB records haven't they.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: purlieu on June 17, 2021, 10:29:19 AM
My main problem was that if a case broke it was much harder to source replacement parts (and harder to remove the tray once a replacement was found).

Poundland mate

Brundle-Fly

Travis - The Man Who CD. If you bought every Poundland/ charity shop copy and pile them up, they would reach the moon and back. Or at the very least a tower as tall as the London Eye.

who cares

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 16, 2021, 07:47:23 PM
Scissor Sisters' debut album
Most Robbie Williams albums, especially Swing When You're Winning
Post 2000 Madonna albums
All Saints self titled
Dido's two albums

spot on. Also-

Coldplay (various, but especially that one with half a head on the cover),
U2- How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Snow Patrol (various)
CaB favourite Maroon 5
The Thrills- So Much For The City
Goldfrapp- Supernature

...but Robbie Williams is the hands-down winner; particularly Escapology round are way

Funny to see Scissor Sisters' debut and warehouse excess stock in neighbouring posts. I worked in a CD/DVD/book warehouse from 2003-5 and the returns sale was legendary. I bought about 50 copies of that at 50p each and was turning them over at nearly retail price on eBay. There was the suggestion the firm had fallen out with Morrisons and all the stock had been returned. Everything in pristine condition other than for needing to peel off price stickers. The window was small though, and after a while it wasn't worth the effort of listing them. I saw a few still floating around last time I moved house. Perhaps I should do the decent thing and charity shop them.

willbo

Quote from: who cares on June 21, 2021, 12:42:26 AM
The Thrills- So Much For The City
Goldfrapp- Supernature

Noooooooooooooooo! Those 2 albums are still loved! The people who bought them still regularly play them!

purlieu

Quote from: who cares on June 21, 2021, 12:42:26 AM
...but Robbie Williams is the hands-down winner; particularly Escapology round are way
Yeah, that's the one I see the most, although I even find recent 'comeback' era ones often enough. Similarly, 21st century Take That albums, especially Progress.
QuoteThe Thrills- So Much For The City
Yeah, there are always about 50 copies of this on the Music Magpie shelves in Poundland. Along with Natalie Imbruglia's Left of the Middle (both covers), Madonna's Music, and the second albums by The Coral and The Zutons.

willbo

I was disappointed by the Zuton's at the time. I'd actually really liked their first album (didn't own it, but had friends who played it a lot), and loved the "why won't you give me your love" single. I wished the 2nd album had more stuff like that on it. Looking back now it seems like that song fit in with the whole Scissor Sisters/Mika big band musical sounding thing that was going on then. Bjork should have re-released "oh so quiet" to make it complete really. I guess the Take That comeback had a similar sound too.

In my nearest Poundland, the CDs are largely made up of late 90's early 2000's indie landfill like Travis, Starsailor, Razorlight, The Bravery, The Pigeon Detectives, etc.

The last time I went in there, they had about 20 unshiftable Blu-Ray copies of that James Corden Paul Potts biopic 'One Chance' that nobody watched stacked up on a shelf.

As far as charity shops go, the CD sections in the chazzers round my way always have at least 5 or 6 copies of Daniel Bedingfield's 'Gotta Get Thru This' album and Sandi Thom's 'Smile...It Confuses People' atrocity.

The DVD sections always have around 6 or 7 copies of 'Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle' (quite often old ex-rental copies from Blockbuster), 'Shaun of The Dead/Hot Fuzz' and various Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear straight-to-DVD specials. 

purlieu

Quote from: willbo on June 21, 2021, 01:39:09 PM
I was disappointed by the Zuton's at the time. I'd actually really liked their first album (didn't own it, but had friends who played it a lot), and loved the "why won't you give me your love" single.
They always struck me as a second-rate Coral (right down to the singer sounding identical), but the first album had its charms. That said, I think a lot of that was down to Ian Broudie's production, as The Coral themselves seemed to lose their weird edge and slightly lo-fi psychedelic sound the second they stopped working with him.

Is it Asda that are now also selling the Music Magpie refurbished CDs that can't be shifted? The idea of a supermarket selling second hand stuff is so fucking weird.

Quote from: purlieu on June 21, 2021, 11:21:20 PM
Is it Asda that are now also selling the Music Magpie refurbished CDs that can't be shifted? The idea of a supermarket selling second hand stuff is so fucking weird.

Yeah, I was in Asda earlier this evening and noticed that.  It was yer standard Coldplay, Dido, Stereophonics, Manics, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sting and Robbie Williams CDs all for a quid each. 

Chriddof

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on June 21, 2021, 11:35:15 PM
Yeah, I was in Asda earlier this evening and noticed that.  It was yer standard Coldplay, Dido, Stereophonics, Manics, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sting and Robbie Williams CDs all for a quid each. 

They really ought to just give up and see how much of it can be recycled. I'm only half-joking here. It weirds me out that this constant shuffling around of stock has been allowed to drag on for this long. I know similar things happen with other physical goods, but when it comes to music (and unwanted shit late 90s music at that) it feels demented.

purlieu

CDs can be recycled if the data layer is removed, but apparently this is so inconvenient that practically nowhere will actually do it.

Quote from: purlieu on June 21, 2021, 11:21:20 PM

Asda are trialling second hand clothes too

https://corporate.asda.com/20210429/were-launching-a-second-hand-vintage-range-as-part-of-our-commitment-to-sustainable-fashion

Guaranteed the vinyl section in any charity shop round my way will contain at least 3 copies of:

'Endless Flight' by Leo Sayer
'The Singles: 1969-1973' by The Carpenters
obviously 'No Parlez' by Paul Young
'Private Collection' best of - Cliff Richard
and a shit ton of various scratched-up James Last/Ray Conniff/Mantovani/Geoff Love & His Orchestra albums.
Plus the obligatory Readers Digest box sets of 100 Classical Favourites.

My nearest one must have had a delivery of a couple of boxes of actually half-decent LPs recently but, as mentioned in one of the posts above, they clearly went straight onto Discogs/Ebay and put them up for ludicrous prices.

willbo

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on June 22, 2021, 01:57:20 PM
Guaranteed the vinyl section in any charity shop round my way will contain at least 3 copies of:

'Endless Flight' by Leo Sayer
'The Singles: 1969-1973' by The Carpenters
obviously 'No Parlez' by Paul Young
'Private Collection' best of - Cliff Richard
and a shit ton of various scratched-up James Last/Ray Conniff/Mantovani/Geoff Love & His Orchestra albums.
Plus the obligatory Readers Digest box sets of 100 Classical Favourites.

70s albums like that seem an exotic lost world to me now.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 22, 2021, 08:36:42 AM
Kathy Lette books

and Jenny Colgan.

"You do?! Oh, that's wonderful... can you keep it for me? My name? Oh yes... it's Audrey Eyton."

stonkers

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on June 17, 2021, 10:44:12 AM
No Parlez crops a lot, but I think the record I have seen most often in charity shops is this one:

My parents - who have never expressed any other fondness for The Beatles - have just cleared out their attic so there's at least one more copy been put into charity shop circulation recently...

Brundle-Fly

I remember once seeing the 1973 whiskey tumbler-shaped Rod Stewart LP, Sing It Again Rod in a charity shop in the nineties and procrastinating whether to buy it. It was £6, in bad nick and I don't like his music much, but was it collectible?  I left that purchase this time around but with a tinge of regret on the bus home.

Years on, I regularly notice it rearing its big-nosed smirking head in many an Oxfam record section. Always battered and scratched to fuck though. Quite telling in a way.

willbo

I passed up the chance to buy an Oxfam box set of Springsteen's "born to run" with extra demo/rehearsal/b-side track discs and a DVD documentary. It wasn't even cheap, I think they wanted £20 or so. And of course I have the regular album and never play it. But for some reason I wished I'd gone back for it. There's just something about it being Oxfam that makes me want things I wouldn't normally care so much for.