Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:35:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alexander Technique

Started by Lost Oliver, June 17, 2021, 08:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

Anyone here do this?

I've been for two sessions and I've no idea how I'm going to translate what I've learned into every day life. It is enjoyable being touched though.

P.S. Had a CaB dream last night. The board had changed and there was a Men's Health forum with only one thread in it by someone who was taking the piss out of the name.

buttgammon

Apologies for the entirely unhelpful post, but all I know about this is that there's a man in London with the exact same name as me who does Alexander technique, and it's only in the last year or so that I've overtaken him in Google searches.

Paul Calf

R'n'B stars' names are just preposterous these days.

Greg Torso

"Problemes d'Amour" is a banger.

Dr Rock

Don't need it, my posture is top-tier.

touchingcloth

My partner was paid £25 per hour to research Alexander Technique compatible office chairs for a hedge fund. Most of them looked like torture devices.

Pijlstaart

Seems like victorian-era hoodoo to make it easier to grope servant girls. Haven't I grown up, not a marsh crab at all, I am a productive member of society they make you say self-consciously behind your stick-on moustache. Time to take the air at broadstairs, but I definitely shan't go in any tide pools because I am not a crab. It's doing bad things to people. Myself, I've come to favour the droideka stance, it showcases both my standing ability and rolling potential, I find there's a great utility to hunching, you can hunch over things and under things as the situation dictates. Only reason to stand upright these days is to look out for predators, which of course has it's own set of problematic connotations, eyes down, stay in your lane.

MoreauVasz

I've known singers to do it because better posture can result in a better sound. Unfortunately, it's a load of pseudoscicey nonsense on a similar scientific footing to osteopathy. Turns out that your posture can be improved but that requires you to work out the relevant muscles.  Stretching, putting a back against the wall, and shuffling tension about the place will not help

Butchers Blind

I wear one those back braces for three hours a day. It presents its own problems but posture is everything.

Chedney Honks

Learned about this from some ASMR video I watched. Fell asleep in my chair and woke up and my back was fucked.

Fair warning.

ProvanFan

Quote from: buttgammon on June 17, 2021, 09:16:44 AM
there's a man in London with the exact same name as me who does Alexander technique,

"Dr" buttgammon is a miracle worker

buttgammon

Quote from: ProvanFan on June 17, 2021, 12:52:31 PM
"Dr" buttgammon is a miracle worker

What a shame that profoundly silly surname has held him back from being fully recognised!

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 17, 2021, 09:57:27 AM
Don't need it, my posture is top-tier.

Your posterior has colossal mis-steps in its harvesting.  I do wish you would be less proud of it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Replies From View

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 17, 2021, 11:17:21 AM
I wear one those back braces for three hours a day. It presents its own problems but posture is everything.

What kind of "problems"?

ProvanFan

touchingcloth

Brandy Alexander Technique, more like! Can't wait to be able to go out at cocktail o'clock again COME ON JULY

thenoise

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 17, 2021, 01:05:42 PM
JUST DO YOGA.

I always thought AT was more or less yoga without all the cultural baggage, chakra bollocks or chanting. I'm not surprised to hear it comes with baggage of its own though.

Is pilates ok?

touchingcloth

Quote from: thenoise on June 17, 2021, 02:23:14 PM
I always thought AT was more or less yoga without all the cultural baggage, chakra bollocks or chanting. I'm not surprised to hear it comes with baggage of its own though.

There's really not too much cultural baggage with yoga, or chanting, or chakras. In my experience, the cultural baggage is limited to the words used for some poses (e.g. Urdhva Hastasana), and the most spiritual it's ever got is instructors ending sessions with a "namaste".

Pilates is probably better if improving posture is what you're after, and yoga for flexibility. I imagine sitting on special chairs does next to fuck all compared with either.

Lost Oliver

FFS. It's 60 quid a session. Have I just spunked all my moolah on a load of shite?

I would do yoga but I've no idea what my back feels like when it's straight so when they say have a straight back I'm always curved and they tell me I'm doing it wrong and to just feel it as straight but I can't.

paruses

A friend of mine did it for a few sessions and said he felt good after a lesson but has probably not benefitted long term. Does sound relaxing though. He did group sessions and did not like touching the other people but that might just be him. I would love that.

Just enjoy the session and never go back if you don't want.

Based on 8 texts I have just exchanged with him I would agree with touchingclothand say do pilates if you want to target your posture. I did it for a while and felt so much better and upright and stronger. I have since regressed to looking like a question mark such is the nature of desk based work but am inspired to pick it up again once things open up.

Really enjoyed yoga too. Have done lots of bits of styles and experienced very little nonsense. Hot yoga is the best and worst. I enjoy the pleasure / pain of it but it has lots of "sweating out toxins" stuff to ignore. The worst bit of yoga is the hippy dippy studio owners who are all one with the universe  but know the price of everything.

Alberon

Had the pleasure of meeting Alexander Technique at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I used to get a lot of tension headaches from working at the computer all day. I watched a video about Alexander Technique have found the advice useful (sit up straight, basically). I'm not about to pay for it though.

Quote from: Lost Oliver on June 17, 2021, 03:57:41 PM
FFS. It's 60 quid a session. Have I just spunked all my moolah on a load of shite?

I would do yoga but I've no idea what my back feels like when it's straight so when they say have a straight back I'm always curved and they tell me I'm doing it wrong and to just feel it as straight but I can't.
We've got some planks in the shed. Give me 60 quid and I'll gaffer tape them to your back.

Pranet

If it does you good and you can afford it knock yourself out I say. If I had back problems might do myself. But I have come across adherents who go fucking ballistic if you dare question how much evidence there is at the moment for all the claims that are made for it. Some seem to think it is a cure all.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Lost Oliver on June 17, 2021, 03:57:41 PM

That is difficult with yoga, especially for someone like me with bad coordination in general. I really need someone else there who can watch me and tell me to straighten my back or get my arse down because it all just feels the same to me.

paruses

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 18, 2021, 06:34:28 PM
That is difficult with yoga, especially for someone like me with bad coordination in general. I really need someone else there who can watch me and tell me to straighten my back or get my arse down because it all just feels the same to me.

Yes same. I went to a yoga class when gyms opened last August (?). It was all socially distanced to the extent that the instructor wasn't allowed to do the wandering around and aligning you. I did feel it made a difference to the practice.

touchingcloth

Quote from: paruses on June 18, 2021, 07:06:42 PM
Yes same. I went to a yoga class when gyms opened last August (?). It was all socially distanced to the extent that the instructor wasn't allowed to do the wandering around and aligning you. I did feel it made a difference to the practice.

I've only ever done it via an app, but my partner has done lessons in the past so helps keep my arse where it's meant to be. I don't think it would be particularly effective for me without someone watching me, because it's quite hard to know where you're supposed to be feeling the strain. The app does say where you should feel it, but there's a difference between feeling it and _really_ feeling it.