Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:10:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV character's drinking coffee

Started by Leej88, June 17, 2021, 11:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leej88

It is so obvious when they are drinking the cup is empty or when they have a coffee shop cup it is empty, Plus pouring gasoline on yourself they would be a smell and they would know it is not water.

I don't know why they don't put water in the cups to make it at least look like the characters are lifting something heavier than an empty cup.

Replies From View

For me it's the obviously empty cups and the tendency to look slightly to the side to check your timing is right.

Jacobi there could not be imbibing fluids without breaking the laws of physics.  Awful!!  Everyone holding a cup on television and film does this, even when they are alone, so it can fuck off.  Next!

monkfromhavana

Also, the way they belt it down straight away. Must have asbestos-lined throats.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 17, 2021, 01:18:04 PM
Also, the way they belt it down straight away. Must have asbestos-lined throats.
In American shows/films, I put that down to those coffee pot machine things keeping the temperature of the coffee "just right" for instant drinking, rather than it being boiling hot (as it is when you've used a kettle) and needing to cool down. I could be well off the mark with that, though.

To be fair, I know plenty of folk who just guzzle down freshly poured tea and coffee. Even with a fair whack of milk, you're still talking well in excess of 75 degrees. Dunno how they aren't all dead. And then they have the gall to ask why I'm leaving mine for ten mins to cool down.

Replies From View

They should have more moments in TV and film with characters popping their mug in the microwave for a few seconds without remarking on it.

Magnum Valentino

It is required that I mention Tony Soprano torturing his ice cream

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 17, 2021, 05:45:51 PM
It is required that I mention Tony Soprano torturing his ice cream

Go on then.

mothman

And they hardly ever add sugar unless it's a plot device (one of the Dirty Harry films comes to mind). And they all have cream. Or - worse - "non-dairy creamer."

Also, what exactly is it they drink in westerns? There's always this cast iron kettle on an open fire. What sort of coffee have they actually made there? Did instant exist in the Wild West? Because I don't see any coffee grinders, or ways to strain out grounds. Or perhaps they were just drinking hot water ("with just a dash of milk, what" - er, I mean, "hot diggety darn!") like in Asterix In Britain.

Lemming

Quote from: Replies From View on June 17, 2021, 01:26:07 PM
They should have more moments in TV and film with characters popping their mug in the microwave for a few seconds without remarking on it.

Stopped doing this forever after inadvertently discovering the phenomenon of "superheating". Never seen anything like it, the coffee just exploded.

Quote from: mothman on June 17, 2021, 07:26:16 PM
Also, what exactly is it they drink in westerns? There's always this cast iron kettle on an open fire. What sort of coffee have they actually made there? Did instant exist in the Wild West? Because I don't see any coffee grinders, or ways to strain out grounds. Or perhaps they were just drinking hot water ("with just a dash of milk, what" - er, I mean, "hot diggety darn!") like in Asterix In Britain.

Maybe nettle tea or some shit, but they never mention it because it'd make the cowboys look vastly less cool. People apparently used to make dandelion coffee too, which is just about the saddest thing I can think of.

Jake Thingray

I still can't quite work out whether or not Leej88 does all this deliberately.

Replies From View

Quote from: Lemming on June 17, 2021, 10:23:47 PM
Maybe nettle tea or some shit, but they never mention it because it'd make the cowboys look vastly less cool.

Mate they ponce around on horses all day

dissolute ocelot

Apparently cowboys drunk gallons of coffee. Lots of riding at night and long journeys. Tea was out of fashion since the Boston Tea Party. They boiled coarse grounds in a pot and served without milk or sugar - the flavour is weaker than with fine grounds. There are tricks to get the grounds to settle or you can use a sock. Not totally sure how they ground it, maybe a hand grinder, mortar and pestle or even between 2 rocks. There were commercially manufactured preserved roast beans with a coating so you'd carry ready roasted. Lots of info if you Google cowboy coffee.

https://www.wakacoffee.com/blogs/coffeelifeblog/cowboy-coffee-in-the-wild-wild-west
https://sprudge.com/cowboy-coffee-94275.html
https://truewestmagazine.com/how-easy-was-it-to-get-a-cup-of-coffee-in-the-old-west/

Sebastian Cobb

Best tv character drinking coffee is Vince from 15 Stories High I reckon.

https://youtu.be/eU0X1XDE4C8?t=192

mothman

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 18, 2021, 09:07:52 AM
Apparently cowboys drunk gallons of coffee. Lots of riding at night and long journeys. Tea was out of fashion since the Boston Tea Party. They boiled coarse grounds in a pot and served without milk or sugar - the flavour is weaker than with fine grounds. There are tricks to get the grounds to settle or you can use a sock. Not totally sure how they ground it, maybe a hand grinder, mortar and pestle or even between 2 rocks. There were commercially manufactured preserved roast beans with a coating so you'd carry ready roasted. Lots of info if you Google cowboy coffee.

https://www.wakacoffee.com/blogs/coffeelifeblog/cowboy-coffee-in-the-wild-wild-west
https://sprudge.com/cowboy-coffee-94275.html
https://truewestmagazine.com/how-easy-was-it-to-get-a-cup-of-coffee-in-the-old-west/

Boiling it up unfiltered is how it's traditionally done in the Middle East as well isn't it?

Neomod

Of course if you are a show based in the environs of New York you will be drinking from an Anthora coffee cup.

Bazooka

Watching Tony Soprano try to eat with utensils is more problematic than his coffee drinking.

Brundle-Fly

The best coffee scene ever is in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ-kCE6YEno

MojoJojo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 18, 2021, 09:53:26 AM
Boiling it up unfiltered is how it's traditionally done in the Middle East as well isn't it?

My friend who grew up in Brazil said that there rich/posh people have instant coffee, while the masses just boil it in a pot.

mothman

Having grown up partly in Brasil, I fucking love a cafezinho.

Leej88

When they hold all those coffee shop cups in a cup holder it is light as a feather.

Captain Z

It all started when Jennifer Aniston drank a cup of gasoline by mistake.

Replies From View

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 18, 2021, 11:50:04 AM
My friend who grew up in Brazil said that there rich/posh people have instant coffee, while the masses just boil it in a pot.

The poshest of all augment it with coffeemate

mothman

Does Marvel still exist? Ghastly stuff.

aunt mildred

Yeah, they do those awful superhero movies now.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Women in adverts who wear chunky jumpers with the sleeves pulled over their knuckles must cradle the coffee mug in both hands - regardless of the vessel's size/weight - ideally holding it just below their face so they can savour the aroma and smile wryly at the cozy decadence.

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on June 19, 2021, 01:19:03 AM
Women in adverts who wear chunky jumpers with the sleeves pulled over their knuckles must cradle the coffee mug in both hands - regardless of the vessel's size/weight - ideally holding it just below their face so they can savour the aroma and smile wryly at the cozy decadence.

...in proximity of a window

Such a weird trope, woman = two hands, man = one hand
Demz da rulez

Blue Jam

And they hardly ever add sugar unless it's a plot device (one of the Dirty Harry films comes to mind). And they all have cream. Or - worse - "non-dairy creamer."

Or stevia. Or ricin in a stevia packet.

Yes, you're right, I think Lydia in Breaking Bad is seen as a bit weird for putting a sweetener of any kind in her tea. Not to mention drinking tea rather than coffee. And all this forming a plot device.

I don't get the cream thing though. Bit decadent, isn't it?