Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:06:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV character's drinking coffee

Started by Leej88, June 17, 2021, 11:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 19, 2021, 09:36:28 AM
Or stevia. Or ricin in a stevia packet.

Yes, you're right, I think Lydia in Breaking Bad is seen as a bit weird for putting a sweetener of any kind in her tea. Not to mention drinking tea rather than coffee. And all this forming a plot device.

I don't get the cream thing though. Bit decadent, isn't it?

Exactly how Walt produced a sealed packet of stevia bothers me, actually. And then even after successfully doing so, he'd have to get there before them, taking several risks including 1. that she still always sits at the same table (I don't think he hung around Albuquerque for several weeks to check?), 2. That nobody else sat at that table before she got there, 3. That neither her nor Todd noticed him when they came in...

Or maybe since nobody else uses stevia seemingly? But then why gave it in the bowl of sweeteners by default?

And, yes, cream. Have to admit that although I drink my coffee black (with artificial sweetener - I actually even quite like stevia!), I do like coffee with cream in...

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I drink coffee black but will float cream on it for a treat if I've got some spare... it's pretty much a different drink.

mothman

Love an Irish coffee to finish off a nice dinner out. But, like Miles O'Brien (🧐) I can't drink something with that amount of caffeine past around midday.[nb]I went through a period of about 20 years where I couldn't drink coffee at all, even one drank at 7am would keep me up that night. It's possible there were deeper psychological factors affecting the insomnia, which I've been prone to my whole life anyway.[/nb]

El Unicornio, mang

Having lived in America, can confirm that they use creamer rather than milk. Also, instant coffee is viewed the same way we view cheese in a can.

JaDanketies

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 19, 2021, 10:29:34 AM
Having lived in America, can confirm that they use creamer rather than milk. Also, instant coffee is viewed the same way we view cheese in a can.

I view it pretty much the same way. Would rather go through caffeine withdrawal than drink them fuckin gravy granules

I love an espresso, but am always amused to see George Clooney drinking from his teeny-weeny cup.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 19, 2021, 11:09:00 AM
I love an espresso, but am always amused to see George Clooney drinking from his teeny-weeny cup.

281 coffee pods

Gurke and Hare

I don't like coffee, but if I did I'm pretty sure "lotsa cream, lotsa sugar" would be how I'd have it.

Blue Jam

Now I think about it putting a little cream in a coffee probably isn't as bad as having one of those tall lattes which look innocuous but contain about a bajillion calories.

I don't like coffee either. Love the smell but can't stand the taste, despite smell being a major contributor to the sense of taste. I find the smell very appetising but it makes me want to ingest anything but coffee.

I like tea but take it black with no sugar because I am a monster.

greencalx

I'm always amused by the little pots of drink whitener called "Tastes like real milk!" that you get on trains - as this tells you only what it isn't.

Blue Jam

I once had someone tell me he'd get his kids to be quiet on train journeys by giving them some of those little pots of milk and telling them "See if you can shake that long enough to turn it into butter..."

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 18, 2021, 09:28:28 AM
Best tv character drinking coffee is Vince from 15 Stories High I reckon.

https://youtu.be/eU0X1XDE4C8?t=192

I'm gonna be That Guy: it's soup, isn't it? When she enquires to buy the flask he says "With or without lunch?"

Sebastian Cobb

If it was soup wouldn't it be the lunch?

The Mollusk

He's saying "With or without the contents, which are my lunch" isn't he?

Sebastian Cobb

I always interpreted it as "do you want my packed lunch as well?".

Of course the bleary grading means tomato soup is indistinguishable from coffee in their world.

The Mollusk

Do people have coffee with lunch though? Typically speaking I'd say it's the bottom of the three main meals you'd ever expect to have coffee with.

IT IS SOUP ADMIT IT

imitationleather

Love a piping hot coffee with my dinner.

imitationleather

Are you talking about when people have a coffee in a restaurant instead of a pudding?

That's just to sober them up for the drive home.

JaDanketies

Fraiser and the folks from Friends were always drinking coffees and offering each-other coffee late in the evening / last thing at night. Perhaps it is supposed to be a stand-in for cocaine.

Magnum Valentino

Might be wrong on this one but coffee places in America open much later than over here where it's a cultural thing that your only choice is to get drunk in the evening rather than just full of caffeine. It's a massive problem for me as a non-drinker (socially, I'll drink at home on rare occasions) that the only options locally for a Friday evening after work were loud, shouty pubs when a chance to chat from a comfy seat with a cup of coffee would be just as nice.

But it's not UK culture, and never will be, and there's no way to prove it because the coffee shops all shut up at 6 or 7.

The Mollusk

You can get a delicious coffee in the warm, friendly glow of a Wetherspoons any time day or night, my brother.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 19, 2021, 02:13:40 PM
Might be wrong on this one but coffee places in America open much later than over here where it's a cultural thing that your only choice is to get drunk in the evening rather than just full of caffeine. It's a massive problem for me as a non-drinker (socially, I'll drink at home on rare occasions) that the only options locally for a Friday evening after work were loud, shouty pubs when a chance to chat from a comfy seat with a cup of coffee would be just as nice.

But it's not UK culture, and never will be, and there's no way to prove it because the coffee shops all shut up at 6 or 7.
I remember leaving a bar in Istanbul around 1am (I'd been watching Man United play Crystal Palace) and walking back to my hotel, surprised that the main street up to Taksim Square was still busy and cafes were full of people having coffee. I did wonder if they had jobs to go to the next day, as this was a Wednesday. Part of the culture, I guess. Great city, too.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 19, 2021, 11:43:32 AM
I don't like coffee either. Love the smell but can't stand the taste, despite smell being a major contributor to the sense of taste.

Yeah, same - there's no better smell than a new tin of ground coffee being opened, but it tastes nothing like that delicious smell.

imitationleather

I used to go to the same pub in Peckham every Saturday night at 9pm and have a coffee.

By about the third week you should have seen their faces when I walked through the door.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 19, 2021, 04:49:40 PM
I remember leaving a bar in Istanbul around 1am (I'd been watching Man United play Crystal Palace) and walking back to my hotel, surprised that the main street up to Taksim Square was still busy and cafes were full of people having coffee. I did wonder if they had jobs to go to the next day, as this was a Wednesday. Part of the culture, I guess. Great city, too.

Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.
(Turkish Proverb)

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 19, 2021, 01:37:17 PM
Do people have coffee with lunch though? Typically speaking I'd say it's the bottom of the three main meals you'd ever expect to have coffee with.

IT IS SOUP ADMIT IT

I think an extra joke from the radio version reveals it to be fudge.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 17, 2021, 01:21:03 PM
I could be well off the mark with that, though.

bizarre statement - you do realise TV/film is fiction and any possibility could hold true. You are neither wrong or right.

paruses

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 19, 2021, 06:08:53 PM
Yeah, same - there's no better smell than a new tin of ground coffee being opened, but it tastes nothing like that delicious smell.

Another upvote for this sentiment.  When I worked in Denmark they drank lots of coffee and no tea all except for my colleague. She always wanted to know why something that smells so good can be made to taste so bad. That gulf of disappointment had never really chimed with me before. And before someone says I have never had really good coffee - I have and its fine.

dissolute ocelot

In the 1960s, British people used to go out for a coffee in the evening, daddy-o. When my parents were students they went to coffee shops with folk musicians playing in the corner. It makes me wonder just how much of "traditional British culture" was invented since 1975 (or whenever pubs started opening for more than 4 hours a day). Britain even used to have milk bars, but I don't want to know what went on there.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 30, 2021, 03:00:27 PMBritain even used to have milk bars, but I don't want to know what went on there.
People drinking sodas cold as frost and quizzing each other's jukebox selections, I think.