Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:50:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Windows 11 preview leaked

Started by Sebastian Cobb, June 17, 2021, 05:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

aunt mildred

They've already backtracked to TPM 1.2 as the minimum and I'm guessing somebody will work out a way to bypass the TPM requirement altogether.

Also this: https://www.techpowerup.com/283812/thanks-to-windows-11-scalpers-buy-out-add-on-tpm-2-0-modules

lmao fucking scalpers, you gotta love 'em eh

edit. I meant directstorage not storeMI upthread, storeMI is that AMD shite that hardly anybody can use anyway.

evilcommiedictator

Microsoft continuing their amazing tradition of every second operating system they release being a massive pile of steaming horse shit

olliebean

Quote from: aunt mildred on June 25, 2021, 10:56:23 PM
They've already backtracked to TPM 1.2 as the minimum

Are you sure about that? From yesterday evening: https://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/microsoft-now-says-windows-11-tpm-requirement-is-for-version-2-0

QuoteMicrosoft Now Says Windows 11 TPM Requirement Is For Version 2.0

The company has updated its documentation to say that its previous guidance on the minimum TPM security requirements was incorrect, and that TPM 1.2 is no longer considered to be sufficient.

There's also this: https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22549725/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-support-tpm-hardware-requirements

QuoteWindows 11 will only officially support 8th Gen and newer Intel Core processors, alongside Apollo Lake and newer Pentium and Celeron processors.

Basically it doesn't sound like my current PC has a gnat's chance in hell of running this.

aunt mildred

Quote from: olliebean on June 26, 2021, 08:58:16 AM
Are you sure about that?

Nope but there's so much bs flying around who knows apart from MS?

Does your cpu/motherboard support TPM 1.2 but not TPM 2.0? Have you looked in the bios for PTT (intel version of TPM)? Does your motherboard have a TPM header?

It's a wait and see situation as far as I can tell, I can't see MS locking out people like yourself with relatively new hardware and if they do there will be workarounds imho.

There is also a good chance that there will be a bios upgrade for many systems that are currently unsupported, Ryzens TPM implementation is all in the AGESA comboPI for example, so firmware based, not hardware.

olliebean

Quote from: aunt mildred on June 26, 2021, 09:49:58 AMDoes your cpu/motherboard support TPM 1.2 but not TPM 2.0? Have you looked in the bios for PTT (intel version of TPM)? Does your motherboard have a TPM header?

I don't know about all that - it supports TPM 1.2 and when I searched for whether it could be upgraded to 2.0, I found an answer that said definitely not because TPM 2.0 requires Haswell or later. TBH Ivy Bridge was released in 2012 so it's almost a decade old (13 years by W10 EOL), so not too surprised that it isn't supported.

QuoteIt's a wait and see situation as far as I can tell, I can't see MS locking out people like yourself with relatively new hardware and if they do there will be workarounds imho.

I'm not sure I'd call my hardware relatively new - I bought it 2 years ago but it was a refurbished machine, released in 2012. The official line seems to be that PCs from the last 4 years ought to be able to run it (meaning, if Coffee Lake is the oldest supported processor, PCs that had the newest available processor a little under 4 years ago, which will still exclude a lot of them).

seepage

Apparently from 2023, laptops must have a front-facing camera. Why? For login via facial recognition? Can't be because desktops. So people can't complain about a rubbish Teams experience because of a crap camera? Are all webcams attached to desktops decent? Do mini PCs like Intel NUC identify as a desktop even though they have mobile CPUs?

olliebean

What's going to happen in 2023 if you have an existing laptop without a camera running Windows 11? Will it just refuse to update any more?

seepage

Maybe just checks during initial installation.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't like the idea of it at all, although can you even get laptops without webcams these days?

Blumf

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on June 26, 2021, 07:58:26 PM
Worth knowing these exist:

I just used one of those circular dot sticker things they have for marking pages.

Zetetic

Quote from: seepage on June 26, 2021, 05:52:46 PM
Maybe just checks during initial installation.
Probably not even that, but a matter of certification.

canadagoose

I don't think any of my Windows PCs (including the little stick I got for about £40 new) will be compatible with 11. No TPM 2.0 and the processors are too old. Ah well. Might still muck about with the preview versions in a VM or something.

aunt mildred

They've removed their health status tool now, they've also gone back on their >1TB requirement for directstorage. As for TPM1.2 OR TPM2.0 nobody knows including MS apparently. They now say 1st gen Ryzen and 7th gen Intel will be supported.

More here from a reputable site: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/microsoft-removes-the-application-to-verify-windows-11-requirements.html

Using the tool I can say my Ryzen 3600/X470 combo passes IF I enable fTPM in the uefi and fails otherwise saying TPM2.0 is required.

Blumf

I've seen it suggested that the TPM2.0 requirement is (was?) a sweetener to PC makers, who were somewhat shafted over the Win10 roil out dropping onto existing PCs without much fuss.

Sebastian Cobb

Well they can fuck off with that 'coded obsolescence'. Generating tonnes of e-waste to keep Dell and Lenovo sweet.

canadagoose

You know how you can install macOS on Intel PCs and they're "Hackintoshes"? Do you think a method of installing Windows 11 on unsupported PCs will pop up at some point, like some kind of Hindows / Hackdows / Windacks solution?

Zetetic

I suspect that it won't even need that - some of this stuff is about using certification as a lever to ensure that computers being built and sold now support trusted computing.

Without stuff like OEM certification, Microsoft has very little leverage over the consumer market for things like that, I guess.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on June 30, 2021, 07:49:21 PM
You know how you can install macOS on Intel PCs and they're "Hackintoshes"? Do you think a method of installing Windows 11 on unsupported PCs will pop up at some point, like some kind of Hindows / Hackdows / Windacks solution?

People will hack their way around this because this is how nerds respond to obviously arbitrary rules that sound like they could be hacked around.

Building a hackintosh is on another level, but we don't have to worry about that because this is barely even another version of windows let alone another operating system.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: canadagoose on June 30, 2021, 07:49:21 PM

Call it "Ubuntu"?

brat-sampson

So I signed into the insider program to get AutoHDR back in like... April. Opted out again late May but they said I couldn't roll back and would basically be taken out at the next stable full 10 release.

I now have Windows 11.

I mean, I'm not mad, just not really what I signed up for. I've put the start bar back in the corner and most other things are basically the same tbh, just with some UI changes.

Glebe

Just installed this. Not very impressed, changes seem mainly cosmetic, kind of Mac kinda look. Don't like the way the Wi-Fi/sound/battery controls are lumped together. Task Manager also not handy to bring up. Recycle Bin icon is well shite.

MojoJojo

Apparently zip files are now called post code files.

touchingcloth

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 07, 2023, 11:23:32 AMApparently zip files are now called post code files.

There's a Reddit thread here - https://www.reddit.com/r/iiiiiiitttttttttttt/comments/12de5qo/microsoft_has_mistranslated_zip_files_as_postcode/

Which led me to this article about how geneticists have officially renamed some human genes to stop Excel from deciding that they are dates - https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21355674/human-genes-rename-microsoft-excel-misreading-dates

Which reminded me of a business I work with at work - let's call them "10e20", which Excel always insists is actually the number 10E+20.

seepage

^ instead of opening csv files directly, open a blank worksheet, use data import, and specify that all columns are text