Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:13:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Music Photography Thread

Started by The Mollusk, June 17, 2021, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Whatever ya want. Promo shots, album sleeve photography, kickass live snaps that either you or some journo cunt took, doesn't matter as long as it's photos of MUSICIANS and the photos are GREAT. Good photos not allowed, only GREAT or higher.

My favourite promo photo of recent years is this one of married couple Drew Daniel and M.C. Schmidt, who together are Matmos, one of the greatest experimental electronic acts of all time. This was for their album "Plastic Anniversary" and it's the just a stunning and beautiful photo:

Any fool worth their salt on this board will know I am a Deerhoof obsessive and I've long admired how well the noisy explosive fun of their music is captured in their photos, their charm carries through so well. I couldn't pick a favourite from these two so here's both:

I'm done having a poo now so I'll post this where it is and come back later. Ta!

non capisco

Otis mid-holler.

Speedo lost in the big sound, ladies and gentlemens.

Bit of a cliched choice but it's continually held up as one of the great rock photos for a reason. Maybe ignore that he might be pointing at a child he's seen at the back that he's up for noncing.

holyzombiejesus

Sorry for the Twitter link but sometimes links don't work when posted from my phone. It's a live picture of Fugazi, btw

https://twitter.com/bloodberry_tart/status/1407016607809945603?s=19

Neomod

Serge and Bardot between takes of Harley Davidson from the 1967 Brigitte Bardot Show.

Love this candid shot so much I got it framed.

flotemysost

Obviously there are loads of great photos of Bowie but I really like this one from the 1995 Outside tour with Nine Inch Nails:

I'm neither an expert on Bowie nor photography but there's something really captivating about how all the parts of the image come together to create this energy of brooding menace - his expression and stance, the angle of the mic stand, even the smoke at the top of the image, love it. Apparently the photographer was there to shoot NIN and was told Bowie was strictly off limits, but thought "fuck it" anyway and captured this corker.

Another cliched choice perhaps, as she's someone else who always looks great, but I like this one of PJ Harvey from Glastonbury in 1995:

I love the OTT vampy make up she adopted around then - it somehow manages to seem like a playful pastiche and sincerely defiant at the same time - and the way the hot pink jumpsuit pops against the blue background is just stunning.

DrGreggles

buzby

Joy Division stereotypically exist in a gloomy black and white world thanks to the likes of Kevin Cummins and Anton Corbijn. There's two shots in particular of Cummins' that I like - the famus shot of them on the Epping Walk bridge over the Princess Parkway in Hulme, which embodies the 'cold and  distant' myth:

and from the same shoot and location, a closeup that shows them as real people:

When it comes to New Order, there aren't many 'iconic' pictures of them as they weren't all that keen on having their pictures taken. I do like this candid shot (by Cummins again) of them at the Paradise Garage in New York in 1983:

Not a photo as such (as Gillian is probably the member of the band who likes to be photographed the least), but this still from Jonathan Demme's promo film for The Perfect Kiss is almost like a painting:

Icehaven

Quote from: buzby on June 23, 2021, 03:28:05 PM

With the exception of Curtis it's astonishing to think they were all in their early 20s in that picture. Like someone said in another thread recently, young people really did look much older years ago.

DJ Bob Hoskins

A few nominations here:

^ This has always been my favourite photo of the Fabs. They were at the absolute top of their game at this point, and they look like they mean business. Light years from the goofy kids on the cover of A Hard Day's Night. Bonus points for Lennon's thousand-yard acid-casualty stare, and Macca's cheekily-arched eyebrow.

^ You can't get much fucking cooler than this, really.

^ This, along with everything else Anton Corbijn has ever done.

jobotic

Quote from: icehaven on June 23, 2021, 03:38:00 PM
With the exception of Curtis it's astonishing to think they were all in their early 20s in that picture. Like someone said in another thread recently, young people really did look much older years ago.

Roy Cropper was in Joy Division? You live and learn

SpiderChrist

Neomod

There are some great B52's images

But this one of Cindy is my favourite

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

I loved the fact this lot embraced their young following back then and didn't give a fuck whether it was perceived as 'uncool'. How many bands would do two gigs a day on tour? One for the under 18s in the afternoons and then the adults' concert at night. They also used to perform loads of free gigs for underprivileged kids around this time. This pic sums up all that spirit for me.

Mr Farenheit

Jackie Wilson in concert

Later on... and its all kicking off!

non capisco

^ Those Jackie Wilson pics are mint!

Gulftastic

This one. Not because it's a great photo, but because it's where I'm going if I ever get a TARDIS.

Mr Farenheit

Speaking of Jackie Wilson, here's a fantastic snap of his partner in this potty mouthed duet, Lavern Baker

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on June 24, 2021, 05:13:41 PM
Jackie Wilson in concert

Probably where the rock & roll expression 'girls were throwing themselves at me' comes from.  Quite literally here.

Neomod

I'll have what Dave's having..

Nancy recording her Country, My Way album