Author Topic: Privatising Channel 4  (Read 3112 times)

Re: Privatising Channel 4
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2021, 10:42:23 PM »
One of GB News's major financial investors exploring takeover bid for Channel 4 - https://www.reuters.com/business/discovery-exploring-takeover-bid-uks-channel-4-telegraph-2021-07-31/

U.S.-based broadcaster Discovery Inc (DISCA.O) is holding informal discussions about a potential takeover bid for Britain's state-owned Channel 4 television broadcaster, The Telegraph reported on Saturday.

The potential bid process is being managed by UK Government Investments, the paper reported, adding that a deal was not expected to be completed until the middle of next year.

Discovery did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Britain's government on July 6 announced a consultation on the sale of Channel 4, and it was considering changes to the operating model of the broadcaster, including its ownership, remit and obligations.

Wouldn't be too surprised if this deal has already been agreed, it's ideal for the tories.

idunnosomename

• FROG ON THE BIG WHEEL
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2021, 01:33:04 AM »
pardon my french but what the fucking cunt is even on Channel 4 these days other than the news

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2021, 09:10:31 AM »
One of GB News's major financial investors exploring takeover bid for Channel 4 - https://www.reuters.com/business/discovery-exploring-takeover-bid-uks-channel-4-telegraph-2021-07-31/

Wouldn't be too surprised if this deal has already been agreed, it's ideal for the tories.

Christ. I mean, I don't know why I am surprised, of course this was going to happen.

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 09:53:47 AM »
Discovery's controlling shareholder John Malone is also primarily an asset stripper. Most of his career has been buying companies, selling off the non-core parts someone will pay him for, shutting down any parts that aren't making immediate profits even if it will hit things down the line (such as R&D), paring the rest down to the minimum staff needed and then when the company is able to show a profit selling it on to someone else who has to deal with the long term consequences of what was done.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 10:42:53 AM »
Channel 4's better than most (news) and I feel a bit sad about the tories killing it (if they do) but isn't this a bit two bald men arguing over a comb?  Isn't TV dead?

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2021, 02:07:29 PM »
pardon my french but what the fucking cunt is even on Channel 4 these days other than the news

It's the principal more than the product though.  Yet another thing we "own" that the tories are selling off to make a profit from. 

They've already sacked off most local authorities (central government funding completely withdrawn from most LAs from 2020, which is why we're seeing some of them go bankrupt), they're chipping away at the NHS, they'll almost certainly have another go at public land and forests.  On and on.  And the more they sell off the more they can say "well there's no point putting all of our money into these one or two things". 

As it is, Discovery is probably the best of a bad bunch (which says far more about the bad bunch than it does Discovery).

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 09:04:56 AM »
Deadline for responses to the consultation was yesterday. DCMS has already brought in investment bank JP Morgan to advise on a potential auction.

The Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has said that the channel will need more cash to survive which has to come from the private sector, but Channel 4 denies it needs this. A report suggests that to get to the profitability a commercial operator would want Channel 4 would need to slash its £660m programming budget (£500m of which is original shows) by up to half and privatisation would result in the closure of as many as 60 out of the 200 independent production companies who supplied it in the last two years.

Utterly pointless move.

Tags: