Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:28:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I don't get it...

Started by canadagoose, June 19, 2021, 08:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: pigamus on June 19, 2021, 09:01:47 PM
Cold war steve

He just seems to add hundreds of people into his photoshops as if it's one of those competitions to see how many different band members (or actors, or footballers, or whoever) you can spot.  Like OMG I just spotted Neil Tennant next to the postbox, I swear he's there but you have to really zoom in!  What's the point.  Sometimes less is more.  In fact less is always more when you're adding that many people.

Bigfella

Year after year, razor blades adverts promise the closest shave ever, couldn't possibly be closer.  They've been saying this since I was knee high to a grasshopper.  Now they increase the amount of blades, there's now a razor with seven blades.

Sebastian Cobb

How long does this extra closeness even last for, surely it's diminishing returns with each extra mm. Whack another blade on and it's closer for 30 seconds before your hair grows a micrometre.

JesusAndYourBush

There used to be a joke where you'd take the piss out of the adverts by putting on that voice from the adverts and saying "Gillette Fusion : a nuclear powered razor with 12 blades", but then the gits only went and made one called Gillette Fusion so they've ruined the joke now because I can't think of an alternate name that works as well as that one.

GoblinAhFuckScary

well into ron

ummm idk. i had that annihilation movie well hyped up, but it came off as a bit of a poundland stalker rly so i was sad about that

chveik

i get the 'things i won't get' song

The world is so hard
The people so mean
Of things I don't get

GoblinAhFuckScary

i would get anything for love

but i wouldn't get that

chveik

nah nevermind i don't get it

or do i

who cares

Quote from: Bigfella on June 20, 2021, 12:27:59 AM
Year after year, razor blades adverts promise the closest shave ever, couldn't possibly be closer.  They've been saying this since I was knee high to a grasshopper.  Now they increase the amount of blades, there's now a razor with seven blades.

"The eleventh blade shears off your face-flesh and cuts right into the bone"

Kankurette

Why football fans always say, when a team play well, that they played with passion. And if they lose, they weren't passionate enough.
Quote from: madhair60 on June 19, 2021, 09:37:29 PM
People who get intensely combative about shitty children's films. What, mate? Siddown.
Also kids' cartoons. Looking at you, MLP and Steven Universe fans, especially the ones who harassed an artist to the point of a mental breakdown because they drew a fat character thin.

steve98

Scooby fuckin' Doo. Fuck you, Doo. Mickey Mouse, too.

willbo

watching team sports in general

The Mollusk

The thing with "getting" a lot of stuff is that often the thing that needs to be "got" isn't rightfully championed because of how innovative, remarkable or revolutionary it is; its popularity is paradoxically dictated by "how many people have seen it". The reality is that very little in this world is remarkable or noteworthy, but the subconscious mind is all too aware of this and so it will clamour towards anything banal solely because that particular banal thing has got shitloads of online clout, retweets, articles written about it, memes spawning from it.

Almost nothing elicits that real sense of "fucking hell that's blown my mind" any more so all we can hope for is to be able to share a false sense of glee with the wider world, and if you snap from that collective unreality for a small moment because you suddenly realise a certain thing - avocados, for example - is actually far beyond your own personal preference because you think it tastes like slimy metallic dirt, then you become confused, annoyed and upset because you feel like you're getting life wrong. This has been the case for a long time now but it becomes more intense and exclusive and horrifying every day.

Personally I think it's fuckin great and I would walk through fire to get to another meme of a monkey getting a haircut, just to FEEL SOMETHING.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: canadagoose on June 19, 2021, 08:49:20 PM
- period dramas. "Ohhh well they have daft costumes on and there are servants and the upper-classes and that's good" Aye? Sure pal, you do you

I have no interest in them either but I can kind of see why other people like them.

Quote- those Photoshops with Farage and the dog for about 20 pages. I don't get it.

There's a lot of chaff in those threads but they're worth looking at for the occasional glorious wheat.

Quote- heavily-hopped beers. I find drinking them so unpleasant, I suppose other people must perceive them differently? Yeah, they must, but I don't get it

I like them. Different flavours from different combinations of hops. It was something to take an interest in during the lockdowns and now I'm hooked. Also, I have come to the realisation that it was the hops in Becks that appealed to me back when it was imported from Germany.

The Mollusk

Isn't the point of the photoshop threads on here not that everyone is clamouring (and failing) to make the best image in the thread, but that it's a deliberate hammering of a really silly thing, saturating it to death, the and in doing so, that's where a large portion of the humour comes from? That's why I like them anyway.

greenman

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 20, 2021, 12:40:06 AM
well into ron

ummm idk. i had that annihilation movie well hyped up, but it came off as a bit of a poundland stalker rly so i was sad about that

Your quite correct about that anyway, the scene in the office with Portman and Jason Leigh blankly staring at each other could have been improved by a loud fart being added.

Peicing together Ron's meaning retrospectively is part of the fun surely?

touchingcloth

How people pick which sport team to support. I get people supporting their local team for a bit of the old tribalism, but when someone supports a team from a different city they have no other connection to - especially if that team isn't objectively one of the best ones - I don't get it. Or how people pick between teams if their city has more than one big team - why not support Man U and Man City, and double your chances of basking in Manchestery glory?

imitationleather

Personally, at a very young age my family told me which team to pick and it was pretty obvious if I didn't go along with it I'd be in a lot of trouble.

greenman

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 20, 2021, 12:07:16 PM
How people pick which sport team to support. I get people supporting their local team for a bit of the old tribalism, but when someone supports a team from a different city they have no other connection to - especially if that team isn't objectively one of the best ones - I don't get it. Or how people pick between teams if their city has more than one big team - why not support Man U and Man City, and double your chances of basking in Manchestery glory?

Palace support an inherited illness for me rather than ever having lived in the area but I'm guessing a lot of the above happens at school, you get various cliques build up around the big non local sides.

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 20, 2021, 11:52:40 AM
Isn't the point of the photoshop threads on here not that everyone is clamouring (and failing) to make the best image in the thread, but that it's a deliberate hammering of a really silly thing, saturating it to death, the and in doing so, that's where a large portion of the humour comes from? That's why I like them anyway.

That's exactly how I take them.

Dex Sawash

Don't get the ignore feature except maybe to block posters who like Aliens more than Alien 3.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 20, 2021, 11:52:40 AM

Yep, it's the photoshop equivalent of a shaggy dog story where I always find most of the humour comes from the fact that there's deliberately almost zero actual humour. Classic anti-jokes.

Magnum Valentino

Coloured vinyl, and specifically the idea that it should be worth more and cost more than black vinyl. It looks cool, but if it's still in print, stick your coloured re-release up your hole Earache Records.

Also, HMV putting great big COLOURED VINYL stickers on Public Enemy and Jackson 5 LPs with either no awareness or racist awareness is bullshit either way.

canadagoose

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 20, 2021, 12:41:59 PM
Coloured vinyl, and specifically the idea that it should be worth more and cost more than black vinyl. It looks cool, but if it's still in print, stick your coloured re-release up your hole Earache Records.

Also, HMV putting great big COLOURED VINYL stickers on Public Enemy and Jackson 5 LPs with either no awareness or racist awareness is bullshit either way.
I like coloured vinyl, purely because of how it looks. Maybe I'm part magpie. "ooh shiny LP, must buy"

By the way, I just want to clarify, I'm not saying the things I don't get are bad or that you shouldn't like them. That'd be cunty of me. It's just that I, personally, don't get the hype around them. It's interesting to read Johnny Yesno's appreciation of hops, for one.

purlieu

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 20, 2021, 12:41:59 PM
Coloured vinyl, and specifically the idea that it should be worth more and cost more than black vinyl.
Despite the hype, vinyl is still a very, very niche thing (fewer than 5 million sales in total in the UK last year - that's less than one record per person for the population of London), so labels clamour for absolutely anything that will get people interested / make something more 'collectable'.
I quite like coloured vinyl, especially as these days there seems to be more quality control involved - when it comes to decent labels at least - but it becoming commonplace is absolutely a way for labels to try and flog as much product as they can. Same reason some labels release 'bundles' of different coloured LPs, an artificial collection aimed at completists as a way for them to sell four copies of an album when one would have sufficed. It's pretty much the only way some labels can stay afloat these days, depressingly.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm fine with black vinyl and hate the artificial scarcity of multiple coloured releases.

One thing I do kind of like are some of these releases are the ones where they must mix two colour/plastic pellets as the things get pressed, so every pressing is a twin-colour splodge that is unique, I like that idea, but it's still a gimmick.

Kankurette

The whole mentality of supporting a football team comes from a time when people didn't move house and families tended to stay in the same area, so you always supported your local team and/or your dad's team. There's the expectation that, say, you'll always live in Liverpool or Huddersfield or whatever, not that you might move and find a new local team. By that logic, I should support:
- Greenock Morton (my dad's team)
- Liverpool (my mum's team, and I actually used to support them because of her before I switched sides, bitch never did take me to Anfield no matter how much I begged)
- Millwall (closest team to where I was born)
- BHA (grew up in Brighton)
- Chester City (spent teenage years there)
- Man United (my local team, unfortunately)

Wednesday are my ex-stepdad's team. With Everton, it's kind of a long story. I do not make it easy on myself.

greencalx

Quote from: who cares on June 20, 2021, 12:51:14 AM
"The eleventh blade shears off your face-flesh and cuts right into the bone"

Fairly sure Simon Munnery did that joke in his League Against Tedium Set in 2000. Hopefully this was a rewrite for M&W, rather than a rip-off.

Twitter memes, especially that distracted boyfriend one. Can never figure out what people are trying to say with it, to the point where I expect they don't either.

Johnny Yesno

For me, it's how people pick which sport to be into. They're all so dull!