Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Travel industry "day of action"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 20, 2021, 02:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe Association of British Travel Agents (Abta) is to take part in an industry-wide day of action on Wednesday, calling on the UK Government to allow international travel to return safely and in a risk-managed way.

Abta said this can be done by expanding the green list "in line with the evidence and making restrictions more proportionate".

A review of the current travel guidance - as set out by the Global Travel Taskforce - is expected by 28 June, including any updates to the quarantine-free 'green list'.

Pilots are expected to join travel industry colleagues on Wednesday's day of action at Heathrow, Bristol, Edinburgh and Manchester airports.

Anyone on here work in the travel industry? Are you taking part in this?

I hope they arent protesting inside the airport, if they do that sounds a bit risky with COVID cases as high as they are. I really dont see how we can add any other countries to the green list given the risk of variants. I also think the amber list conditions are going to be flouted by a lot of people. Perhaps ministers should have bailed out the travel industry for the next few months and only allowed essential travel.

mothman

Yeah, but they did allow essential travel. To and from India...

Pinball

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The level of self-interest is breathtaking, though not unusual or isolated to the travel industry. However, it's directly provocative and needling when they claim to be the objective 'evidence-based' assessors. We've gone from 1,200 cases a day to 11,000 in about 3 weeks, they should be winding their necks in so tight they can gob down the rectum.

Pinball

The travel industry's lobbying and power has greatly contributed to Covid cases and deaths in the UK (i.e. our corporate-owned politicians never closed the borders properly, in particular to prevent Delta spreading). Having a 'day of action' and all the other media coverage is, frankly, disgusting. Shame on them for the deaths they have contributed to.

JaDanketies

The government should never do anything nice for incredibly-polluting industries anyway as a matter of course, COVID or no COVID.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMore than a hundred pilots and cabin crew, baggage handlers and firefighters came out to join the protest at Bristol Airport today.

They stood, two metres apart, on the tarmac between two planes.

The aircraft aren't going anywhere today, and nor are the pilots. Some are still on furlough. They all say the understand they need for safety.

But with 60% of UK adults now double vaccinated, they are pressing the government to allow more people to fly.

Otherwise, one pilot told me, global Britain will become grounded Britain.

I get these people are worried about their jobs and most people on furlough only get 80% of their wage, but surely these people can see that the risk of bringing back varients is far too high. Perhaps we should accept that international travel won't be as safe as it used to be for the next few months and focus on helping people in the travel industry find other jobs.

I do wonder whether some involved felt their employer expected them to join in.

Psybro

I get marketing emails from Trailfinders and Labour. One of them is always begging for me to give them money and go to places for them and the other is fiercely critical of government policy...

Pinball

All 6 UK cases of the Lambda Peruvian variant arose in travellers from S America. Thanks travel industry.

hamfist

Captain Roger Speaking's next role is in cyber. He just doesn't know it yet.