Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,308
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lamest Punks in Music

Started by Pauline Walnuts, June 21, 2021, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

They wouldn't be so smug about Talking Heads if someone shared *that* story about David Byrne (discussed recently in the Chris Frantz thread IIRC). I can still listen to them - not that I do much - but the 'Once In A Lifetime' video is not an easy watch now, especially those close-ups of him all sweaty. It's proper nightmare fuel - he's up there with bogeymen of the 80s like Jason, Freddy, Maggie or Pinhead for me now.

SteveDave

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 24, 2021, 01:36:36 PM
Love to read people kicking Frank Turner. I really liked him when he started out on his solo career and saw him live quite a few times. Eventually I noticed that almost all of his songs are about how great he, his life, and his hilarious mates are. I was going through a bad time around then, so I wasn't great, and I had no life, and I had no mates, so the songs began to offend me on that level. And then his insistence that it's great living on the road doing gigs, and that people who aren't doing that are boring old fannies, the longer it went on, started to seem like he was trying to convince himself. And then it comes out he's a cunt.

Love too slag off Frank Turner. His last LP was about how women in history were great too yeah? And it produced this wonderful self-own

It's not that the singer had a puritanical streak - far from it - but the tour clashed with a deadline for Turner's history degree, so every night, he'd hunker down to research the British-Bulgarian tobacco trade in the 1930s.

The paper eventually earned him a first-class honour - but his subsequent decision to quit and pursue music left his tutor unimpressed.

"She said, 'You've done really well, ditch this stupid music stuff and come and do your Masters with me.

"And I said, 'Music is my dream. No offence, but academia can wait'.

"Almost 10 years later, I was playing the O2 and I sent her an email saying, 'I don't know if you remember me, but we're headlining the biggest indoor venue in London and I've got a box set aside for you'.

"And she replied, 'I'm still not interested in this frivolous music of yours.'"

When even teachers can see you're a cunt and your music is shit, you're in trouble son.

jobotic

Needless to say she had the last laugh

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 24, 2021, 02:14:03 PM
They wouldn't be so smug about Talking Heads if someone shared *that* story about David Byrne (discussed recently in the Chris Frantz thread IIRC). I can still listen to them - not that I do much - but the 'Once In A Lifetime' video is not an easy watch now, especially those close-ups of him all sweaty. It's proper nightmare fuel - he's up there with bogeymen of the 80s like Jason, Freddy, Maggie or Pinhead for me now.

The one where he's polite about it or the one with the chambermaid?

Video Game Fan 2000

Fuck me there's more than one maid story? Better run run run run run away.

famethrowa

I have no idea who Frank Turner is, but has the cunt never heard of a stage name? Same goes for Amanda Marshall and James Arthur (not punks, I know)

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 24, 2021, 03:03:45 PM
The one where he's polite about it or the one with the chambermaid?

Shit, I forgot about the chambermaid. Unlike Mr Byrne.

Video Game Fan 2000

Something about the plant pots in a hotel room.

Jockice

Quote from: good times on June 24, 2021, 02:01:33 PM
She sounds like a knob to be honest, opinions about Buzzcocks/Undertones aside you have to be a bit of a cunt to call someone's favourite bands plastic punk the second they've just mentioned them as favourites don't you?

Also Talking Heads shouldn't be anyones favourite band - a band to like, even love, but there seems to be some sort of 'statement' inherent in saying they're your absolute favourite. At their absolute best they're transcendent (about half of Remain In Light, This Must Be The Place) but a decent chunk of the time they're just a bit annoying.

In answer to main question, nailed in posts #2 and #3. Although ToL seem somehow slightly charming now (for a bunch of horrid cunts) in how blatantly shit they were, at least no-one took them seriously like Idles.

I wasn't offended. Just a bit taken aback.But then I remember me at that age (and a lot older truth be told) when I would dismiss entire genres of music immediately and without a second thought, especially if an older person liked it. To me, The Undertones and Buzzcocks are not only perfect punk groups but perfect pop groups as well, But they are old people's music to her. I blame the parents. It turned out that her dad used to be in a  sort of funky pop local band I vaguely remember from the 80s.And his favourite band ever are apparently Level 42. I mean, I find that totally mystifying. How can they be anyone's favourites?

As for Talking Heads I agree totally. Very good in parts but not the sort of act I could ever claim are among my favourites. Unless I was doing my top 100 bands ever and even then they'd only just scrape in. And that's despite David Byrne and I sharing a hometown.

sutin

Wednesday Week is the best Undertones song, everyone knows that.

Video Game Fan 2000

Rockpalast version of Julie Ocean for me, then maybe Emergency Cases or Get Over You

DrGreggles

Quote from: sutin on June 24, 2021, 09:26:52 PM

Sutin's on to something there.

And Talking Heads were great, so fuck y'all*!

*apologies for saying "y'all"

sutin

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 24, 2021, 09:43:53 PM
Get Over You

Get Over You is a great song but I can't disassociate it from that horrific road safety advert.

Jockice

And incidentally the best Buzzcocks single was Promises. Closely followed by Love You More and What Do I Get?

non capisco

Harmony In My Head and Everybody's Happy Nowadays are my top two. Those bastards come up on shuffle and the volume's getting pumped, bebbeh!

Video Game Fan 2000

Unless I get to pick Boredom, I couldn't pick a fav Buzzcocks single. ESP or I Believe for their best song ever, but its a tough one.

chveik

i quite like the one about wanking

Jockice

Quote from: non capisco on June 25, 2021, 12:30:41 AM
Harmony In My Head and Everybody's Happy Nowadays are my top two. Those bastards come up on shuffle and the volume's getting pumped, bebbeh!

Both wonderful. The former is one of the very first singles I ever bought. I've said it before but Singles Going Steady is the greatest greatest hits album ever, only rivaled by The Undertones' All Wrapped Up, despite the unfortunate sleeve on that one.

As for album tracks, I'm very fond of Fast Cars, No Reply, Real World, Hollow Inside and Mad Mad Judy. And as for The Undertones there's Family Entertainment, She's a Runaround, Whizz Kids, His Goodlooking Girlfriend, I Don't Know and Conscious.

But both bands are so intrinsically connected with my adolescence (it's fair to say that they gave me something to live for) that I find it hard to find songs by them that I don't like. Er, What's With Terry? by the 'Tones is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 24, 2021, 01:01:11 PM
They fulfilled their remit superlatively.

Yeah, got to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for Max Splodge and the various men/women/dogs that have been in his band. A friend of mine was in their fan club and won first prize in a contest they held, with a mystery prize. It turned out to be a box full of leaves. Wonder if he's still got it?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on June 25, 2021, 12:52:56 PM
Yeah, got to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for Max Splodge and the various men/women/dogs that have been in his band. A friend of mine was in their fan club and won first prize in a contest they held, with a mystery prize. It turned out to be a box full of leaves. Wonder if he's still got it?

And this Harry Hill TV Burp moment endeared them to me even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41sTMJgu5F8

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 21, 2021, 05:07:49 PM

Ronalado

Not avin this Idol was a legend (also humblebrag I knew his cousin)

The Mollusk

Any mention of Achewood will always get a nod of approval from me.

Edit: just realised my avatar is Achewood. Feel a bit daft now.

who cares

Quote from: Jockice on June 24, 2021, 09:18:09 AM
She then proceeded to name Talking Heads as her favourite band.
Quote from: Jockice on June 24, 2021, 07:34:41 PM
It turned out that her dad used to be in a  sort of funky pop local band I vaguely remember from the 80s.And his favourite band ever are apparently Level 42. I mean, I find that totally mystifying. How can they be anyone's favourites?

it runs in the family

who cares

Quote from: sutin on June 24, 2021, 09:26:52 PM

I concur.

Best Buzzcocks single for me- I Don't Know What to Do With My Life. I generally dislike guitar solos, but that one's a belter.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on June 22, 2021, 11:14:11 AM
The way he moves reminds me of an early 80s, punk, kinda singer, used to wear metallic silver makeup and possibly was having a real emotional breakdown. Song about being Void or Humanoid, or is he just paranoid.

Who's name I can not freakin' remember.

Shrink's Valid or Void

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sioRoehZgIs

pigamus

Shouldn't Wednesday week be a week Wednesday? Not last Wednesday?

Jockice

Quote from: pigamus on June 27, 2021, 06:24:33 PM
Shouldn't Wednesday week be a week Wednesday? Not last Wednesday?
g,
John O'Neill, who wrote most of The Undertones hits including this, admits it doesn't really make sense. Still a great song though. It seems the title was taken from an identically-named Elvis Costello number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VDnd2g1ZSw

Video Game Fan 2000

I thought "wednesday week" means something that's not going to happen. "I'm gonna mend the fence for you" "when, wednesday week?"

The chorus should be "wednesday week she'll love me, wednesday week'll never happen at all"