Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:39:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Emergency alert!!!

Started by bakabaka, June 22, 2021, 10:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakabaka

Not really, but they're testing the system today between 1pm and 2pm. Your phone may give an unexpected siren sound but DO NOT PANIC! It's just a cull of people with anxiety issues and/or weak hearts.

Well publicised, like everything this government does.

https://www.gov.uk/alerts/planned-tests

You have been warned!

Oh, and if you're in Reading you may well get your own personalised one next week too.

Jumblegraws

Love listening to emergency broadcast sytems from around the world on Youtube so I'm pretty stoked about this.

Fambo Number Mive

Thanks for letting me know.

I haven't read this anywhere else which says a lot about the news. You'd think this would be on the BBC or something to avoid people panicking.

shiftwork2

Looks like the last test alert was around Sizewell.  I'm guessing Reading chosen because of AWE Aldermaston and Burghfield.

In a country without weather that can kill it seems these are all about the nukes.

JamesTC

I think they don't warn people in advance so funny stuff happens like in America when those cousins had sex during the missile alert.

buttgammon

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 22, 2021, 10:38:08 AM
Love listening to emergency broadcast sytems from around the world on Youtube so I'm pretty stoked about this.

Yes, me too, the all-time favourite being the terrifying Saudi ones from the Gulf War.

Norton Canes

The mobile phone network test emergency alert warning sounds like
This is the sound

Buelligan

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 22, 2021, 10:44:50 AM
Looks like the last test alert was around Sizewell.  I'm guessing Reading chosen because of AWE Aldermaston and Burghfield.

In a country without weather that can kill it seems these are all about the nukes.

Maybe they know something about the weather we don't. 

Blue Jam

Will I still get this even though I don't live in Scarfolk?

bgmnts

Has this emergency testing been done before? I cannot remember an instance where it has.

shiftwork2

Still waiting for my unexpected siren sound from these chodes

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Please be the air raid siren noise.

Janie Jones

Inspector Sands reports to Control Room.

Ferris

Quote from: JamesTC on June 22, 2021, 10:48:43 AM
I think they don't warn people in advance so funny stuff happens like in America when those cousins had sex during the missile alert.

I got one about a nuclear "event" at a huge power station near Toronto ...turns out it was just a mistake!

(Long story short, I apologized to the cleaner and we've all agreed to say no more about it.)

Captain Z

It's OK, the alert that you might receive a test alert was just a test, to test whether the test alert system is working for future cases where it might be necessary to test the alert system for real.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 22, 2021, 01:56:25 PM
I got one about a nuclear "event" at a huge power station near Toronto ...turns out it was just a mistake!

(Long story short, I apologized to the cleaner and we've all agreed to say no more about it.)

They do shit loads in Ontario - bit of wind "alert on tv, even if turned off". Child kidnapped by dad and on the run "big fuck off noise on your phone at 2am asking if you see a grey 2007 subaru driving on the highway 50 miles from you...stay away"

Jumblegraws

Quote from: buttgammon on June 22, 2021, 11:10:41 AM
Yes, me too, the all-time favourite being the terrifying Saudi ones from the Gulf War.
That's a cracker, cheers for sharing, see you at the next Test Card Circle meet

The Mollusk

Anyone hear this today? Sounded like a big fart coming out of my arse. Made me jump at first but then I remembered this was happening today and calmed down.

Ambient Sheep

I only read about it around 4.30pm, linked as a Chrome homepage suggestion.

Needless to say, I didn't get an alert, but am pretty pissed off this wasn't publicised more in advance.

JesusAndYourBush

Are there any recordings of what this alert sounded like?  I looked on twitter earlier but found nothing.

idunnosomename

FUCKING LET DOWN BY THIS LADS

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Yeah nowt here either. I was hoping it would blast out at work during my Teams meeting and piss off everyone in the call.

The Mollusk

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 23, 2021, 12:30:52 AM
Are there any recordings of what this alert sounded like?  I looked on twitter earlier but found nothing.

Did you not read my above post

MojoJojo

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 22, 2021, 07:40:54 PM
I only read about it around 4.30pm, linked as a Chrome homepage suggestion.

Needless to say, I didn't get an alert, but am pretty pissed off this wasn't publicised more in advance.

I think, given that no one seems to have actually heard it, that the test message is marked as a test and phones are supposed to ignore it. The warning message also says it's a test. The only reason they have to give out a warning is because it's an obscure functions and with hundreds of different phones out there it's pretty likely some of them don't treat the test message properly.

Actually generating an alert to everyone in the country would be problematic, with 999 getting flooded and stuff.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 23, 2021, 07:15:59 AM
Did you not read my above post

I did, but I want to see a video of someone's phone doing the big fart!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 23, 2021, 01:41:24 PM
I did, but I want to see a video of someone's phone doing the big fart!

I got it on my phone, but I had it on auto divert to voicemail as I was on a site meeting.  When I listened to it an official voice said "PLEASE DO NOT PANIC, THIS IS A TEST OF THE NATIONAL EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM, PLEASE DO NOT PANIC, THIS IS JUST A ROUTINE TEST", and then there was a pause and then a big fart and a little giggle and then they hung up.

Alberon

Being in Reading I was part of the test today. It came through on my mobile but not my work phone and even though I was expecting it still made me jump.

It's a bloody loud and unpleasant noise which is probably the point of course. It's not a patch on the old air raid siren though I suppose it might tell you some information about how and why you're about to die horribly.