Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,375
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:50:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Illogical TV Scenes

Started by DrGreggles, June 23, 2021, 09:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

My mate just shared this with me.
It's a scene from NCIS (a show I've never seen) and they (whoever 'they' are) are being hacked.
Woman types furiously on the keyboard, because that's famously how you stop it, but to no avail.
Luckily a man is there to help*, so he also starts typing furiously ON THE SAME KEYBOARD AT THE SAME TIME!
Weirdly this doesn't work either, so they both panic when the screen goes dead, only for it to be revealed that their boss(?) has calmly saved the day by pulling the plug out.
THAT'S THE MONITOR, YOU FUCKING IDIOT!

https://youtu.be/u8qgehH3kEQ

Spoiler alert
Hi Graham!
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

Ha, that is amazing, not just that it was written in the first place but that all of the cast, producers and the director, etc, etc, didn't point out how ridiculous it is either.

Blumf

Bazooka

Why does NCIS look like it was filmed via someone's dream?

Gurke and Hare

Just isolate the node and dump them on the other side of the router!

Fambo Number Mive

Whenever hackers attack they make it super obvious by opening dozens of windows, in order to alert people.

Wonderful Butternut

They were probably furiously trying to change everyone's passwords from 'abc123' to something that couldn't be guessed.

Leej88

I know you can not show people how to lock pick but the way a character does it on TV or a Film is ludicrous.

BlodwynPig

Its why i stopped watching NCIS. Gibbs free energy of shit

Icehaven

Quote from: Leej88 on June 23, 2021, 11:27:57 AM
I know you can not show people how to lock pick but the way a character does it on TV or a Film is ludicrous.

That must have been subverted at least a few times, character shoves piece of wire into lock and wiggles it but nothing happens, and after several attempts they say something like "Actually this is really difficult".

Glebe

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 23, 2021, 09:16:16 AMMy mate just shared this with me.
It's a scene from NCIS (a show I've never seen) and they (whoever 'they' are) are being hacked.
Woman types furiously on the keyboard, because that's famously how you stop it, but to no avail.
Luckily a man is there to help*, so he also starts typing furiously ON THE SAME KEYBOARD AT THE SAME TIME!
Weirdly this doesn't work either, so they both panic when the screen goes dead, only for it to be revealed that their boss(?) has calmly saved the day by pulling the plug out.

Spoiler alert
Hi Graham!
[close]

JesusAndYourBush

Ditto hotwiring a car.  Obviously they can't show you how to do it, so they show a red wire and a blue wire conveniently falling down from under the dash.  The ends of the wires have already been stripped of their plastic coating so our car thief merely has to rub the two ends together and the car starts first time.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 23, 2021, 04:08:00 PM
Ditto hotwiring a car.  Obviously they can't show you how to do it, so they show a red wire and a blue wire conveniently falling down from under the dash.  The ends of the wires have already been stripped of their plastic coating so our car thief merely has to rub the two ends together and the car starts first time.

Well Top Gear showed exactly how to "hotwire" an old Vauxhall Nova: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNdygguAMQA&ab_channel=539874524124a

Presumably there aren't enough left on the road for this to be considered a problem though.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on June 23, 2021, 04:43:02 PMWell Top Gear showed exactly how to "hotwire" an old Vauxhall Nova: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNdygguAMQA&ab_channel=539874524124a

That is INSANE!!  I urge everyone to watch it, it's only 32s long and is entirely NOT what you'd expect!

I would love to see the wiring diagram to figure out how that's possible... but I'm not going to pay Haynes £18.99 for it. :-)

paruses

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 23, 2021, 04:08:00 PM

Doesn't Samuel L Jackson do it in Die Hard 3? Or 4. - who knows - just jams a screwdriver in and says he's an electrician not a car thief.

paruses

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 23, 2021, 10:56:11 AM
Just isolate the node and dump them on the other side of the router!

That's worth pointing out twice

Butchers Blind

I know we don't have as many car thieves posting here as we used to, but with modern cars can you still 'hotwire' them?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 23, 2021, 06:13:22 PM
I know we don't have as many car thieves posting here as we used to, but with modern cars can you still 'hotwire' them?

Nah, immobilisers have been mandatory on new cars since 1998.

bakabaka

You can hotwire a Morris Minor/Traveller by wedging a 50p piece between 2 of the fuses. Which might explain why you don't see many of them on the road these days.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 23, 2021, 09:16:16 AM

Spoiler alert
Hi Graham!
[close]
Hacking doesn't look like hacking on TV. That's why you have to tape a bunch of cats together.

Alberon

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 23, 2021, 06:13:22 PM

Don't think so. That's why thieves break into the house to steal the keys these days or clone the signal from those keys which automatically open the car when they're close to it.

These illogical scenes are mostly TV shorthand. A car needs to be stolen, so either show the conveniently stripped wires ready to be touched together or hide the keys in the sun visor. Just lazy writing really.

Small Man Big Horse

Back in the 90s I saw a tv show where someone broke in to a house using their credit card and just shoving it through the crack in the door and wiggling it around the lock, and a few months later when a housemate lost her keys and couldn't get in to her room I tried it and it worked. The lock was shockingly piss poor though so that could have something to do with it, when I tried it about a decade ago in a different house share it didn't work at all.

An tSaoi

Terminator 2 is a rare example of real lockpicking, when Sarah Connor breaks out of her cell.

Leej88

Also, the cliche of is it the red wire or the blue wire to defuse a bomb.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 23, 2021, 09:16:16 AM

Spoiler alert
Hi Graham!
[close]

Reminds me of the time my home laptop got hacked and a friend actually seriously (ie, not in a remotely joking way unless she's a deadpan comedy genius. Which she's not) suggested I should try turning it off then on again. Blimey, I'd never have thought of that if it hadn't been for you.

PS, it didn't work.

dissolute ocelot

It's reminiscent of the classic 1997 episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer when a demon took over a computer at Buffy's school and started chatting up the nerds. Hard to say which is less plausible.

Fambo Number Mive

Not so much a scene but why does the Gotham City Police Department have a Commissioner and a Chief in the Batman TV series?

famethrowa

Ooo I've got a good one, there's a new US sit"com" called The Unicorn, based on the idea that the main guy is irresistible to every lady in town, knee-deep in clunge and beating them off with a shitty stick. It's really stretching believably and makes no goddamn sense because the main guy looks like a total weirdo, receding hairline, looks like a firecracker went off in his face.... I mean what a charmer, woof:

I appreciate the cunt is probably a good actor, but that's when he's playing total psychos in Westerns, not a smooth ladies man dilf!