Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Illogical TV Scenes

Started by DrGreggles, June 23, 2021, 09:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leej88

Love that 5 o clock shadow lol.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 24, 2021, 10:25:31 AM
Back in the 90s I saw a tv show where someone broke in to a house using their credit card and just shoving it through the crack in the door and wiggling it around the lock, and a few months later when a housemate lost her keys and couldn't get in to her room I tried it and it worked. The lock was shockingly piss poor though so that could have something to do with it, when I tried it about a decade ago in a different house share it didn't work at all.

There are actually purpose-made plastic cards for doing what the credit card technique does:
https://www.buckenhamlocks.co.uk/product-page/wendt-super-mica-cards

Was it on Naked Gun where he tries different cards to open the door as if they were a ring of keys?

An tSaoi

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 24, 2021, 06:42:43 PM
Was it on Naked Gun where he tries different cards to open the door as if they were a ring of keys?

Yes, he uses some less prestigious credit cards, then picks a top class one, which opens the door.

paruses

Does the lack of forensic protective clothing count? Have been watching a lot of Silent Witness lately (with mixed feelings towards it)  but for people who bang on about e idence and forensics so much they wander about crime scenes all the time shedding skin cells and stuff everywhere while in the background everyone else looks like one of the moomins.

There's a scene in the second episode of the second part of Lupin on Netflix which is utterly ridiculous. Assane does something in 10 minutes that would surely take many hours/days of work.

I won't go into details because it's probably a bit spoilery.

Really took me out of the moment.

kalowski

This thread reminds me of watching London's Burning or Backdraft with my fireman father. He watched religiously, but it was always, "The smoke would be different,"; "Paraffin ignites differently,"; "As if he could withstand the heat from a burning plastic canopy at that distance! The fumes would have already rendered him unconscious!! Right, who wants some toast?"

One of the earliest scenes in the short-lived Law & Order UK spin-off had two police officers encountering a suspect package which they believe to be a bomb, and instead of, y'know, calling in the fucking bomb squad and getting themselves and the public as far away from it as possible, they decide to open it up and see what's inside. What an utterly stupid and unbelievable way to try and contrive dramatic tension

And which incompetent hack was responsible for this? Let's just say his name is an anagram of CHIS CRIBNALL.

C_Larence

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on June 24, 2021, 09:00:45 PM
There's a scene in the second episode of the second part of Lupin on Netflix which is utterly ridiculous. Assane does something in 10 minutes that would surely take many hours/days of work.

I won't go into details because it's probably a bit spoilery.

Really took me out of the moment.

Not sure what but you're referring to specifically, mainly because there were ten different moments per episode that stretched credulity.

phantom_power

Quote from: famethrowa on June 24, 2021, 03:00:25 PM
Ooo I've got a good one, there's a new US sit"com" called The Unicorn, based on the idea that the main guy is irresistible to every lady in town, knee-deep in clunge and beating them off with a shitty stick. It's really stretching believably and makes no goddamn sense because the main guy looks like a total weirdo, receding hairline, looks like a firecracker went off in his face.... I mean what a charmer, woof:

I appreciate the cunt is probably a good actor, but that's when he's playing total psychos in Westerns, not a smooth ladies man dilf!

He does have charisma coming out of his arse though to be fair, which I am told is quite popular with the lady women of this world

Quote from: C_Larence on June 24, 2021, 10:35:25 PM
Not sure what but you're referring to specifically, mainly because there were ten different moments per episode that stretched credulity.

Haha you're not wrong. Entertaining stuff still.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 24, 2021, 06:42:43 PM
There are actually purpose-made plastic cards for doing what the credit card technique does:
https://www.buckenhamlocks.co.uk/product-page/wendt-super-mica-cards
Most door frames have a ridge/lip on the outside, covering the crack, so you can't get anything in between the door and the doorpost to slip the latch. (This assumes the door opens inwards.) Some very shit doors don't have anything to stop you doing this. If you're opening from the inside when the handle/knob is broken, then a card is also useful.

jobotic

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on June 24, 2021, 10:27:57 PM

And which incompetent hack was responsible for this? Let's just say his name is an anagram of CHIS CRIBNALL.

Brian Schicll has always been an awful writer.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 25, 2021, 02:49:06 PM
Most door frames have a ridge/lip on the outside, covering the crack, so you can't get anything in between the door and the doorpost to slip the latch. (This assumes the door opens inwards.) Some very shit doors don't have anything to stop you doing this. If you're opening from the inside when the handle/knob is broken, then a card is also useful.

I thought in some cases you can snake the card around the lip as they're thin and bendy, but quite strong lengthways when forced?

I know it's not the only trick a locksmith has, and I kind of assumed if you've just got normal, entry-level doors they'll probably find some trick to get a door open without having to force it.

paruses

Just watching new Bosch series on Prime. At a crime scene they are all using latex gloves folded over to handle things rather than putting the fucking things on. Bosch has just used a folded over glove to open a drawer then stuck his bare hand in to root around and lift out a gun. Next shot he is wearing the gloves to handover to a colleague. Come on guys. Sort it out.

Sebastian Cobb

Holodeck malfunctions were always quite illogical, and usually shit.

I say this as someone who actively enjoyed Q turning up and taking the piss.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 25, 2021, 02:49:06 PM

There was a series of burglaries in various flats around where I used to live - my flat was broken into - where the filthy fucking scum bastards wily trespassers used a curved piece of plastic cut out of a washing-up liquid bottle to jemmy their way in. Presumably the curvature was critical.

mothman

It's always been my assumption that the credit card trick would only work if you were on the side that the door opens towards. But then I remember that in older novels from pre-credit card days, burglars (and private eyes) would be in possession of a stiff-but-flexible strip of celluloid that would do the trick and maybe even go round the "corner" created by being on the outside of an inward-opening door.

Cerys

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 04, 2021, 01:28:25 PM
There was a series of burglaries in various flats around where I used to live - my flat was broken into - where the filthy fucking scum bastards wily trespassers used a curved piece of plastic cut out of a washing-up liquid bottle to jemmy their way in. Presumably the curvature was critical.

I've used this technique several times.  Only with the permission of the resident, mind.

Icehaven

I mentioned it in the thread but in Back To Life there's a bit where the main character, who's just been released after a decade in prison, is asked if she'd watched a popular TV series and she angrily replies "How could I have done?" Prisoners have had TVs in their cells for years, and even before that there were TV rooms so it's not a stupid question. Also the person asking her is her probation officer so it's fairly likely she'd know this. I thought maybe the joke was going to be that she'd been in prison for ten years and somehow never found out that she could have had a telly all that time.