Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:26:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Simon Pegg adapting Galaxy Quest for TV

Started by Malcy, June 25, 2021, 03:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Bit light on details at the moment but doing a TV version with The Thick Of It Writer Georgia Pritchett.

www.comedy.co.uk/people/news/6428/simon-pegg-to-adapt-galaxy-quest/

Is there any point if it doesn't have the film cast? I have hought they had said without Alan Rickmansworth they wouldn't be up for doing it so we'll see.

JamesTC

I thought the same regarding the cast. If they can get the surviving film cast on board, then I'd be up for it.

I would be very dubious how it could work without Alan Rickman though. He was the star of the film.

Blue Jam

I dunno, is Peter Capaldi busy right now? Any space in Roger Allam's diary?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 25, 2021, 03:51:19 PM
I dunno, is Peter Capaldi busy right now? Any space in Roger Allam's diary?

Bill Nighy?

mothman

Rather than recast the role, I'd do what they were planning to do with Spock in the Star Trek Phase 2 series - Nimoy wouldn't do it, so they created a young Vulcan protege called Xon. This way you get the newbie in the crew to play the outsider, to replace Guy Fleegman.

Blue Jam

Couldn't they just borrow an animatronic Alan Rickman from Harry Potter World?

mothman

Actually it's pointless unless it's either a) a complete reboot and recast, or b) you get the whole cast back. Allen and Shalhoub might be up for it, but would Rockwell and Weaver?

So how about this - Galaxy Quest Generations. Literally a handover from the original GQ to GQ:TNG. That way you can have some of the originals (who know what they're doing) teamed with new actors playing new roles (who don't).

Blumf

Will this pick up from the end of the film? i.e. be set in the 'real' world as opposed to the fictional Galaxy Quest TV show world.

Not a Pegg fan in general. His Trek film was okay, but it doesn't take much to beat the JJ crap. I just don't see him bringing anything interesting to Galaxy Quest.

The Orville has probably covered all the bases anyway.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blumf on June 25, 2021, 04:38:35 PM
Not a Pegg fan in general. His Trek film was okay

I knew he'd played Scotty but until reading this and checking his IMDB page I had no idea he'd actually written one of the films. Promoted Fanboy dun good, fair play. Nerd Do Well indeed.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 25, 2021, 04:52:36 PM
I knew he'd played Scotty but until reading this and checking his IMDB page I had no idea he'd actually written one of the films. Promoted Fanboy dun good, fair play. Nerd Do Well indeed.

For me it was the best of the trilogy too, so it's a shame financially it didn't do as well as they'd hoped.

Blue Jam

I'm not a Star Trek fan at all but I love Spaced and couldn't help reading that and thinking "Ahhhh, that's nice for him, well done".

Was it an odd-numbered or even-numbered one he wrote? ;)

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on June 25, 2021, 04:12:42 PM
Actually it's pointless unless it's either a) a complete reboot and recast, or b) you get the whole cast back.

Agreed, and since (as pointed out here) Rickman isn't around any more, a revival seems like a total waste of everyone's time.

Galaxy Quest was a perfect little film anyway. No need to bring it back. The idea is solid enough to hang a reboot on, but let the film be.

Noodle Lizard

Ah Galaxy Quest is a great film - a Popcorn Classic! Must watch that again soon, I hadn't thought about it since the early 2000s.

As for this - I dunno. Simon Pegg's about the right person to do it, I suppose.

Gulftastic

I love Simon Pegg, and I love Galaxy Quest, but I just don't see what they can do with it. The film has a definitive ending.

mothman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 25, 2021, 07:21:25 PM
For me it was the best of the trilogy too, so it's a shame financially it didn't do as well as they'd hoped.

Agree. In my top three overall in fact.

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 25, 2021, 07:23:44 PM
Was it an odd-numbered or even-numbered one he wrote? ;)

Umm... hang on... six TOS movies, four TNG, three Kelvinverse... OK it's an odd, but then by that point it was meaningless especially given Into Darkness was an even and it's one of the worst ever.

St_Eddie

Urgh, just leave it be, for fuck's sake.  No Rickman, no dice.  Also, Pegg better just be writing it and not acting in it.  If he's thinking of putting his stupid face onscreen, he can fuck off.  Bet he'll crowbar Nick Frost in there and all.  Pegg and Frost hijacking lovely things from the past, like a couple of cunts.  No fucking thank you.

letsgobrian

This is at least the second attempt at doing this. Paul Scheer was discussing his version of a TV Galaxy Quest for Amazon on his Unspooled podcast a few weeks ago. And the director Dean Parisot discussed it last year when promoting the new Bill & Ted film.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 26, 2021, 08:10:10 AM
Urgh, just leave it be, for fuck's sake.  No Rickman, no dice.  Also, Pegg better just be writing it and not acting in it.  If he's thinking of putting his stupid face onscreen, he can fuck off.  Bet he'll crowbar Nick Frost in there and all.  Pegg and Frost hijacking lovely things from the past, like a couple of cunts.  No fucking thank you.

What else have they 'hijacked' from the past, Grumpychops?

bakabaka

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 26, 2021, 12:37:45 PM
Have you not seen the Scooby Doo reboot with Pegg and Frost as Shaggy and Scooby?

Or the X-Files one?

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 26, 2021, 12:37:45 PM
The original Grumpychops was a stone cold classic.

As for Pegg's Galaxy Quest I'm going to stick my neck out and say it'll end up not happening.
Then several years from now there will be a reimagined reboot film involving however many Wayans Brothers are still around at that point.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: bakabaka on June 26, 2021, 12:45:22 PM
Have you not seen the Scooby Doo reboot with Pegg and Frost as Shaggy and Scooby?

Or the X-Files one?

No, I've only seen Bagpuss: Redux (2016), Zack To The Future (2017) and I heard their remake of Little & Large 1980 Xmas Special, is in pre-production with Big Talk under the working title, Extraordinary!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on June 25, 2021, 04:12:42 PM
but would Rockwell and Weaver?

Sigourney Weaver absolutely would if the script was right - it's one of her favourite films from her cv and one of the very few that she has continued to attend screenings for.

Whether there's any point to this or if it's a good idea is another matter entirely.

mothman

Yeah, it probably won't happen, and yes as Grumpychops says probably shouldn't. But it's fun to spitball these things.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 26, 2021, 01:10:40 PM
their remake of Little & Large 1980 Xmas Special,

tbf I'd pay good money to see that.

Mister Six

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 26, 2021, 08:10:10 AM

Ah it's like a flashback to CaB circa 2003.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 26, 2021, 01:25:33 PM
Sigourney Weaver absolutely would if the script was right - it's one of her favourite films from her cv and one of the very few that she has continued to attend screenings for.

Also, she seems happy to basically take cameo or supporting roles in stuff like Cabin in the Woods, Paul and Netflix's dire The Defenders, so taking a starring TV role doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 26, 2021, 03:55:18 PM
tbf I'd pay good money to see that.

One of those 'tears behind the laughter' ones that the Beeb used to make,, showing Large as a proper bullying bastard and making him so evil his family complains and it can never be shown again in its original form

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I - I don't see the point of making Galaxy Quest the "show within the film". It's a Star Trek analogy. Star Trek already exists. I could see a TV show working if the aliens from Galaxy Quest need the actors' help again. Or if it's a show about being the star of/working on a nerdy show with an obsessive fanbase and an egotistical main actor/creator/director.

I wouldn't be bothered about not having exactly the same actors. You, you all have to start letting that go. Time's arrow only marches forward after all.

olliebean

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 26, 2021, 06:34:44 PM
I - I don't see the point of making Galaxy Quest the "show within the film". It's a Star Trek analogy. Star Trek already exists.

And so does The Orville, which would make it even more redundant. Not to mention Netflix is apparently making a USS Callister series.

JamesTC

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 26, 2021, 06:34:44 PMI could see a TV show working if the aliens from Galaxy Quest need the actors' help again. Or if it's a show about being the star of/working on a nerdy show with an obsessive fanbase and an egotistical main actor/creator/director.

A show about stars working on a nerdy show whilst having to simultaneously help aliens. A halfway house between Episodes and The Orville. You can have your cake and eat it by satirising the production of the show and the show itself.

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 26, 2021, 06:34:44 PMI wouldn't be bothered about not having exactly the same actors. You, you all have to start letting that go. Time's arrow only marches forward after all.

I guess you could do a Phase II style reboot in universe and have some of the old actors in this new version with others left off. Could be some interesting stories out of that now that I think about it. Fans saying they don't like the new characters, the new actors not getting along with the old actors, an old actor left off the new version of the show and being bitter about it.