Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:05:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Simon Pegg adapting Galaxy Quest for TV

Started by Malcy, June 25, 2021, 03:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Or just make something entirely original? There's a thing.

Blumf

Starting off from the end of the film: Maybe you could have it with various alien civilisations come to Earth for help, because of what they've seen from the events in the film and 'TV show', and the crew would be being filmed as some kind of reality TV deal, with forced drama and other network meddling.

I don't like that idea, but I could see it being a possible route.

Malcy

There was going to be a sequel to the film that Tim Allen said was a brilliant idea so maybe they'll adapt that.

evilcommiedictator

Aren't we all going to cancel Tim Allen anyway for being a massive Trump lunatic?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 26, 2021, 12:37:45 PM
What else have they 'hijacked' from the past, Grumpychops?

A "grumpychops", I may be but does that mean I have to like things that I don't care for?  Am I not allowed to express distaste, if that's how I feel?  As for when Pegg hijacked things in the past?  Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that he has (though I could mention Star Trek to prove a point).  Fact is, I don't want Peggly Wiggly making a TV series of Galaxy Quest.  I don't like him.  Shaun of the Dead is overrated and all.  May I not hold that opinion?  I know it's controversial to not share your thoughts and tastes.

Ultimately, let me ask you this; have you never been critical of things?  Do you love every single creative?  Nah, you don't, do you?  Think about it.  Next time you're critical of something, do I get to dismissively brand you as a "grumpychops"?  Just curious what the rules are here.  By your own standards, surely you are never allowed to be critical of anything ever again, lest you veer into the realm of hypocrisy.

St_Eddie

I dunno, perhaps I'm being an arsehole.  It just irks me when people do the whole "criticism is not allowed if I like this" thing.  It comes across as egocentric.

Mister Six

I think it's the swear-laden hyperbole and accusing Pegg of having a "stupid face" that got you the grumpychops moniker. It's not like you sat there puffing a pipe and calmly gave a reasoned critique of their output.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Can I ask, seriously, why people are so insistent that a TV adaptation of a 22 year old movie feature the exact same cast as the movie or else not go ahead at all?

phantom_power

I think the concept of the film is good enough to hand a series off, as long as it is a complete re-imagining rather than some bastardisation of the original. New crew, new baddies, new plot, same basic concept

mothman

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 27, 2021, 10:35:50 AM
Can I ask, seriously, why people are so insistent that a TV adaptation of a 22 year old movie feature the exact same cast as the movie or else not go ahead at all?

It's a good question. A completely recast TV adaptation can work and even transcend the source film (MASH) but there are plenty of others that didn't. There's a lot of competing takes on this - why even bother, why Pegg, why not do something original, etc. - and they all have merit. It may be that enough ( = too much) time has passed, so a reboot with new cast might be the only way to go. But then you risk pissing off Allen who's been a cheerleader for a sequel, and possibly Shalhoub and Weaver too, those are some heavy hitters to have outside the fence pissing in.[nb]Mind you, Richard Hatch cheerleaded for a Battlestar Galactica revival for years, and when it did happen he wasn't Apollo. But then willingly participated in another role, and seemed to be quite pleased with getting the chance to do so.[/nb]

This is why I think a Star Trek Generations approach might work. You get the best of both worlds. Of course, Generations is far from perfect but it's a good starting point nevertheless.

olliebean

Surely it's easy to recast without rebooting, and also allowing for whichever members of the original cast might be up for it to appear as their original characters: you just have it be about the cast of an in-universe reboot of the original in-universe show.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on June 27, 2021, 06:40:40 AM
I think it's the swear-laden hyperbole and accusing Pegg of having a "stupid face" that got you the grumpychops moniker. It's not like you sat there puffing a pipe and calmly gave a reasoned critique of their output.

And people who critique the likes of Linehan and Gervais do so in a well measured and reasonable manner, without resorting to swear words and insults?  I'm pretty sure that worse than "stupid face" has been said in regards to those two.  It's only because I've been critical of a creative that the majority like, that I'm being pulled up on it.  Let's not pretend that others are above critiquing creatives they don't like in exactly the same manner that I did.

mothman

Eddie, not the first time it's been said but you need to lighten up a bit. You have a certain turn of phrase, a passionate vociferousness in the way you express your (perfectly justified) opinions, that is occasionally amusing. But we're NOT laughing AT you for them (I'm certainly not). And I'd certainly question a statistic like "the majority of CaBers like Simon Pegg."

JamesTC

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 27, 2021, 10:35:50 AM

The idea alone isn't what made it, for me.

Similar to Ghostbusters which is why the third one (whichever third one) doesn't interest me.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on June 27, 2021, 05:17:57 PM
And I'd certainly question a statistic like "the majority of CaBers like Simon Pegg."

But according to the official CaB Census of 2021, Simon Pegg is the 5th most beloved famous person in the world, right behind Telly Savalas.

Shit Good Nose

Eddie, not the first time it's been said but you need to lighten up a bit. You have a certain turn of phrase, a passionate vociferousness in the way you express your (perfectly justified) opinions, that is occasionally amusing. But we're NOT laughing AT you for them (I'm certainly not). And I'd certainly question a statistic like "the majority of CaBers like Simon Pegg."

I was a big fan of his with Spaced, Big Train and Is It Bill Bailey?, but went off him years ago when he found independent success, which was deserved to be fair given how long and hard he'd been working, but he just completely disappeared up his own ass and became very self absorbed.  Also a few peeps on here at the time said they'd come across him "IRL" and he was a prick.  And then The World's End - the success and popularity of which continues to bewilder me - tops it all off.

All that being said, several peeps have said he's really mellowed in recent years, so I dunno.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

oh god who gives a shit that someone called you grumpychops, jfc

madhair60

Blue Jam

And I'd certainly question a statistic like "the majority of CaBers like Simon Pegg."

HA!

Quite like him personally, and I still don't know what "That Voice" means.

Mister Six

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 27, 2021, 05:07:00 PM
And people who critique the likes of Linehan and Gervais do so in a well measured and reasonable manner, without resorting to swear words and insults?

Well Linehan gets criticism for being a bullying lunatic who wants to hurt transpeople as much as possible, and Gervais has made a career out of punching down at the disabled, at gay people, and so on. Pegg's just a successful British comedian and actor. Your language seems disproportionate to his perceived offences.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on June 27, 2021, 07:04:46 PM
Well Linehan gets criticism for being a bullying lunatic who wants to hurt transpeople as much as possible, and Gervais has made a career out of punching down at the disabled, at gay people, and so on. Pegg's just a successful British comedian and actor. Your language seems disproportionate to his perceived offences.

What about James Cordon?  You don't see many people getting called grumpychops for slagging him off, weight based insults and all.  Is the hate he receives not disproportionate to his perceived offences?  It occurs to me that it's only classified as grumpy because the person dismissing the critique as grumpy personally likes the person in question.

For the record, I only mildly dislike Simon Pegg and whilst I don't care for the idea of him making a Galaxy Quest TV series, it doesn't really bother me all that much.  I was merely being hyperbolic, as is my general wont to do.  I also don't mind being called grumpychops.  It's a very soft and gentle bit of ribbing.  I'm just the highlighting the hypocrisy of standards. 

mothman

QuoteIs the hate he receives not disproportionate to his perceived offences?

No. He doesn't get anywhere NEAR as much as he should.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 27, 2021, 07:31:07 PM
What about James Cordon?  You don't see many people getting called grumpychops for slagging him off, weight based insults and all.  Is the hate he receives not disproportionate to his perceived offences?  It occurs to me that it's only classified as grumpy because the person dismissing the critique as grumpy personally likes the person in question.

For the record, I only mildly dislike Simon Pegg and whilst I don't care for the idea of him making a Galaxy Quest TV series, it doesn't really bother me all that much.  I was merely being hyperbolic, as is my general wont to do.  I also don't mind being called grumpychops.  It's a very soft and gentle bit of ribbing.  I'm just the highlighting the hypocrisy of standards.
I did not dismiss your opinion, Eddie. In fact, I enjoy a lot of your opinions, you're passionate and enthusiastic about things you like and that is good. I just asked you a question because I was trying to think what other stuff Frost and Pegg had 'hijacked'. Come on, you basically said Pegg & Frost are 'a couple of cunts' and should 'fuck off' because one of them may or may not make a Galaxy Quest TV series. To me, that seemed a rather terse and over-the-top reaction to something quite innocuous. Imagine if Pegg overheard you in a fan convention restroom? Hence, that's why I called you 'grumpy chops'. 

It always surprises me when people can be so vitriolic about people off the telly, filmmakers, comedians, some (albeit (I hope) jokingly) wishing torture and death on them, but are so defensive if they get even the slightest comeback or any perceived challenge to the entitlement of expressing an opinion.  I'm sorry I called you 'grumpychops'.

jobotic

I don't mind Pegg apart from the fact that he made a film celebrating Toby Young based on a book by Toby Young that celebrates being Toby Young.

Imagine doing that.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 28, 2021, 11:59:45 AM
To me, that seemed a rather terse and over-the-top reaction to something quite innocuous.

I already agreed that it was.  I was being intentionally hyperbolic in my expression of my dislike for Pegg, as I've already stated.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 28, 2021, 11:59:45 AMImagine if Pegg overheard you in a fan convention restroom?

Why would I ever be in a place where Pegg could overhear what I said about him, much less find myself attending a B/O convention?

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 28, 2021, 11:59:45 AMIt always surprises me when people can be so vitriolic about people off the telly, filmmakers, comedians, some (albeit (I hope) jokingly) wishing torture and death on them, but are so defensive if they get even the slightest comeback or any perceived challenge to the entitlement of expressing an opinion.

This is the same forum where I expressed distaste for the celebration of an innocent old rich man being brutally murdered by the majority of posters and I got told by everyone that it's what the forum's sense of humour is and if I don't like it, I should leave the forum.  So why should a famous and rich writer/actor (and non-murdered) celebrity be off limits for receiving a bit of hyperbolic vitriolic criticism for his choice of rebooting a cult comedy film?

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 28, 2021, 11:59:45 AMI'm sorry I called you 'grumpychops'.

As I've already said; I'm not bothered that you playfully called me 'grumpychops', so there's no need to apologise for doing so.  I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of it being one rule for Pegg and another for Corden and the likes.  It's the hypocrisy which I took exception to.  Not the silly, lighthearted word itself.

St_Eddie

Having said that, I'm happy to lose the hyperbole and vitriol, by amending my original post to the following...

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 26, 2021, 08:10:10 AM
Urgh, just leave it be, for fuck's sake.  No Rickman, no dice.  Also, Pegg better just be writing it and not acting in it.  If he's thinking of putting his stupid face onscreen, he can fuck off.  Bet he'll crowbar Nick Frost in there and all.  Pegg and Frost hijacking lovely things from the past, like a couple of cunts.  No fucking thank you.

I'd rather they just leave it be.  No Rickman, no dice.  I'm also not a fan of Pegg's, so his involvement doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.  Bet he'll crowbar Nick Frost in there as well and I'm not a fan of his either.  Ultimately, I'd sooner certain beloved things from the past were left alone but who knows?  Maybe it'll be great.  Time will tell, I guess.

rue the polywhirl

How come Simon Pegg can't just create an original sci-fi/comedy series that has nothing to do with Galaxy Quest. Seems like the easiest and best rewarding thing to do.

Sherman Krank

^ Original ideas don't come with a pre-existing and easily exploitable fanbase which is why you hardly ever see them now.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 28, 2021, 10:16:34 PM
I already agreed that it was.  I was being intentionally hyperbolic in my expression of my dislike for Pegg, as I've already stated.

Why would I ever be in a place where Pegg could overhear what I said about him, much less find myself attending a B/O convention?

This is the same forum where I expressed distaste for the celebration of an innocent old rich man being brutally murdered by the majority of posters and I got told by everyone that it's what the forum's sense of humour is and if I don't like it, I should leave the forum.  So why should a famous and rich writer/actor (and non-murdered) celebrity be off limits for receiving a bit of hyperbolic vitriolic criticism of his choice of rebooting a cult comedy film?

As I've already said; I'm not bothered that you playfully called me 'grumpychops', so there's no need to apologise for doing so.  I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of it being one rule for Pegg and another for Corden and the likes.  It's the hypocrisy which I took exception to.  Not the silly, lighthearted word itself.

How dare you lump me in with the CaB forum clique/ hivemind!  Although it's true, I am a total hypocrite, but for once, not in this instance. Ask my ex-wife.

The 'overhearing Pegg (or Jason Nesmith) getting slagged off in a restroom at a fan convention' was a Galaxy Quest reference.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 29, 2021, 01:19:40 AM
The 'overhearing Pegg (or Jason Nesmith) getting slagged off in a restroom at a fan convention' was a Galaxy Quest reference.

Ah, yes.  So it was.