Author Topic: Kevin Can Fuck Himself  (Read 3948 times)

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
Kevin Can Fuck Himself
« on: June 27, 2021, 01:02:32 PM »
Kevin Can F**k Himself is an American dark comedy television series created by Valerie Armstrong, who also serves as an executive producer. It follows Allison McRoberts, a sitcom wife played by Annie Murphy, who escapes her confines and becomes the lead of her own life, using a format which blends both the multiple-camera setup typical of many mainstream American sitcoms when Allison is with her husband Kevin, and the single-camera setup more common to contemporary television when she is away from him.

Anyone else watching this? I'm three episodes in and think the concept works really well - interested to see how it develops.

Re: Kevin Can Fuck Himself
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 07:03:01 PM »
Just watched the 4th episode (featuring that hoary old sitcom trope, the escape room episode). Wasn't sure after the first, but it's picking up nicely. Seems to be worth sticking with.

easytarget

• Silver Member
  • five gas lighters for a pound
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 04:02:21 AM »
Just started this.

Fucking great concept (bit like Wanda Vision except you don't need the 40 hour PhD in Marvel and it's probably not going to end in a sky fight), oddly both the 'comedy' bit and the 'drama' bit seem kinda badly written (comedy by design, obviously) but together it's fucking good.

Raises loads of questions. Loved how the consequences live in the dark bit ('alcoholic sno cones' written on the mirror), so far this is really good and we should be talking about it.

Better Midlands

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 12:02:49 PM »
oddly both the 'comedy' bit and the 'drama' bit seem kinda badly written (comedy by design, obviously) but together it's fucking good.

That's so true, both would be pretty lame on their own but together it's compelling.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »
Is this on any UK service or are you finding it through alternative means?

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 07:18:02 PM »
Just Watch shows nothing, so I guess I must be finding it through alternative means.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 07:48:02 PM »
If we are talking about Kevin from The Wonder Years then yes he can

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 01:19:47 AM »
Couldn't finish 4th episode. Both comedy and drama bits suddenly got on my nerves too much, and they weren't interacting at all. The actors are all extremely irritating. The juxtaposition wasn't enough to hold it together. So it's binned.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 08:50:49 AM »
It's a weird one, this. Obviously the comedy bits are meant to be shit but that doesn't make it any less shit to watch and there's not quite enough going on in the drama bits to make it all worthwhile. It's an excellent idea but would probably have been better suited to a film, the idea doesn't really have legs. Or at least make the episodes half an hour long and not an hour so they're the same length as the kind of shows they're mimicking.

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 04:14:58 PM »
Is this on any UK service or are you finding it through alternative means?

In case you're still looking, this appears to have just turned up on Amazon Prime. Looking forward to checking it out myself later.

Better Midlands

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 04:41:16 PM »
It's worth a watch as an interesting concept, but it

would probably have been better suited to a film

is about right. It starts to drag a bit and disappointingly they don't wrap it up at the end of the season.

I like the sitcom/drama idea and it could be interesting if they had totally different characters & situation with a conclusion for each season, maybe in the same universe like Fargo.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »
Just saw that this was greenlit for season 2, I think I'll give the first episode a go but it'll have to pretty strong to get me to keep watching.

neveragain

• Edited by Paul Merton
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 10:55:23 PM »
I was expecting the main character to realise she was in a sitcom and try to escape (or change things or whatever) but it seems the sitcomy scenes are just there to emphasise her awful home-life, and she's not actually in a sitcom at all... Is that right? I've only seen half of the first episode.

Tell ya one thing, at least the relevant scenes could be mistaken for an actual sitcom, which Wandavision didn't manage.

Better Midlands

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 11:59:12 PM »
she's not actually in a sitcom at all... Is that right?

That's correct, as the series progresses there's more interaction between the two worlds but the characters don't know any different.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• Muscular and compact, like corned beef.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 12:29:04 AM »
I assume they choose the title with the expectation that Kevin Can Wait was going to be a long running hit. It sounds a bit edgelordy as it is.

dead-ced-dead

• My legs hurt
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2021, 05:18:17 PM »
This is now on Prime and I'm enjoying it so far (episode 2).

It's fucking depressing, though. By design, I know. But I've seen Nordic Crime dramas less depressing than this.

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2021, 11:10:04 PM »
Was curious enough about the premise to give it a go and enjoyed it a lot. The two female leads are really good. Liked how the sitcom parts inspire horror and dread, which is pretty much the effect I always got from The King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond. Similarly I like the dissonance of Allison wearily referring to, for example, Kevin's wacky escape room plan. Impressive bit of impact when the "real" violence spilled over into the sitcom world at the end of the finale. Could do with a bit of tightening up in the second series maybe.

Better Midlands

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 11:13:03 PM »
Impressive bit of impact when the "real" violence spilled over into the sitcom world at the end of the finale.

I was hoping that the two worlds would collide like this a bit earlier as it was pretty thrilling when they did.

Shaky

• I drink your thread
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 04:05:12 AM »
I was hoping that the two worlds would collide like this a bit earlier as it was pretty thrilling when they did.

That would've potentially left them with nowhere to go, though. I think it came at a good point, and I assume they'll gradually bring more characters into the "real" world next season.

Thought this was brilliant overall, and the subtle, darker little changes to Allison and Patty's performances in the sitcom world as things spiraled outside were spot on.

« Reply #19 on: Today at 01:23:50 PM »
Not much to add other than I liked this, thought it was clever and well-executed and a good example of how showing rather than explaining is usually much more effective.

Better Midlands

« Reply #20 on: Today at 02:03:05 PM »
That would've potentially left them with nowhere to go, though. I think it came at a good point, and I assume they'll gradually bring more characters into the "real" world next season.

You're right it would have left them nowhere to go in season two, I think I just got less interested in the sitcom plots as the real world drama progressed (the restaurant/ticket games plot seemed to drag and the escape room plot was dull), having said that they captured the style of mainstream early 2000s sitcoms very well. I'm excited for season two though now things have come to a head.

Tags: