Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:32:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Figurative (not actual) death on stage/TV

Started by Jockice, June 27, 2021, 02:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on June 28, 2021, 04:19:09 PM
Well, the fact that most phone games are microtransaction laden gacha schemes does make it a valid complaint.

That wasn't their complaint though was it - it was the usual gamer complaint of "Waah! Why aren't you making things exclusively for me?"

dissolute ocelot

The time an Irish bar in the centre of Edinburgh's tourist district thought it should book a load of inexperienced but militant feminist punk bands for a special, free Friday Night International Women's Day concert.

Jockice

I've definitely mentioned this one before but circa 1984 Sheffield university had a free concert. Good idea but probably the most mismatched bill ever.

First on were The Sisters Of Mercy, who were great. Probably every goth in the north of England turned up. Then came Time UK, Rick Buckler's post-Jam band. So a load of mods suddenly appeared and several fights broke out between them and the goths. Time UK were terrible.

Then came the headliner. Matt Fretton, a sort of Primark Howard Jones. He appeared on stage wearing a white suit and bow tie and with girl backing singers. And in a rare show of youth unity almost everyone, mods, goths and innocent bystanders left the venue. He played to probably about 50 people. I was one of them and he was okay but it can't have done much for his confidence.

I feel a bit guilty about posting this after finding out that he committed suicide a few years ago, but really whoever put that bill together wants their head examined.

An tSaoi

Marc Wootton as his spirit medium character Shirley Ghostman on the Jonathon Ross show. One of the other guests was Ross from Coffee Friends. Wootton/Ghostman made some quip about the ghost of Hitler, a bad move to make opposite a Jewish actor.

I think the show was dropped as a result of the appearance.

Every time someone uploads the clip it gets taken down with Sadowitz-style speed.

Edit: Beaten to it...
Quote from: idunnosomename on June 27, 2021, 03:51:59 PM
Shirley Ghostman

Edit 2:
Quote from: Johnny Textface on June 28, 2021, 01:10:30 PM
That bloke who went on Jonathan Ross in character. Apparently utter desolation. (not Coogan)

I should read threads more carefully.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: An tSaoi on June 28, 2021, 04:58:30 PM
Edit 2:
I should read threads more carefully.

I disagree, as those prior posts had no further explanation and you've given them some context.

DrGreggles

Quote from: An tSaoi on June 28, 2021, 04:58:30 PM
Marc Wootton as his spirit medium character Shirley Ghostman on the Jonathon Ross show. One of the other guests was Ross from Coffee Friends. Wootton/Ghostman made some quip about the ghost of Hitler, a bad move to make opposite a Jewish actor.

I think the show was dropped as a result of the appearance.

Every time someone uploads the clip it gets taken down with Sadowitz-style speed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ro1cCcsNfZs8BVk13VEf-wmlJm7xtZf8/view

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 28, 2021, 05:21:23 PM

That's the first time I've seen that. Nicole Kidman and David Schwimmer in the green room clearly thinking he's an unfunny cunt, audience baffled, but they *do* laugh at some very weak and tasteless material. Wonder if the director had a word in JR's miked- up ear, and wonder if JR subsequently muttered " I'd fuck off out of it if I were you, mate" into Wooton's ear, before he left at high speed?

Quote from: Jockice on June 28, 2021, 04:44:27 PM
I feel a bit guilty about posting this after finding out that he committed suicide a few years ago...

I'm afraid I don't recall the chap so looked him up and found his cause of death was given as asphyxia due to helium inhalation.

I'm ashamed of myself for wondering what his last words would have sounded like. :(

Jockice

Well, his first single was called It's So High.

the science eel

I remember the Smash Hits cover! he had wonky eyes

Jockice

Quote from: the science eel on June 28, 2021, 07:21:49 PM
I remember the Smash Hits cover! he had wonky eyes

You'll never get anywhere in the pop industry with wonky eyes. Or so Thom Yorke, Gabrielle, Jim Kerr and Feargal Sharkey told me.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 28, 2021, 05:21:23 PM

That's an order of magnitude worse than I remembered it. It's like having reaction gifs beamed directly into my skull.

At one point Ross seems to do a Mark E Smith style tongue waggle but the camera cuts back to dead man walking immediately.

Quote from: Psybro on June 28, 2021, 11:06:27 AM
the only audience reaction was from people shouting at her to get her tits out.

Did she oblige?

Alberon

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 28, 2021, 04:35:03 PM
That wasn't their complaint though was it - it was the usual gamer complaint of "Waah! Why aren't you making things exclusively for me?"

It wasn't a standard gaming convention, it was for and by Blizzard itself.

From the aftermath of the debacle it seems Blizzard stepped back from announcing Diablo IV was in production which would have satisfied most of the fans. Even just a bland teaser trailer like the one for the next Elder Scrolls game which isn't due for half a decade at least. Instead you ramp things up for a Diablo announcement and then offer them just a game for their phone. I think I watched it live online and my interest bled completely away when it was clear it was just a mobile game, no wonder those who had paid to be there were pissed off.

The poor bastard on stage looked extra nervous from the start, he knew what was coming.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 28, 2021, 04:35:03 PM
Have to side with the #gamers here. Nobody who's emotionally invested in a PC-based game series wants a shitty mobile port as the next entry in the series. That only works for Pokémon Go where the gimmick is oooooooh you find different Pokémon by walking around just like on the Gameboy.

I remember one work do where nobody bothered to tell the band that the youngest person at the party was 30-something and furthermore that we weren't the kind of crowd who dragged our partners to the office Christmas party. Every three or four songs they'd play a slow number and the dance floor completely emptied.

mothman

Had to watch the Ghostman debacle live, not in a hurry to watch it ever again!

The Rachel Stevens story reminds me of an account I read of a PA for the Rebel MC, presumably late 80s, in which the fact he only had one song - "Street Tuff" - rapidly turned the whole thing into a farce as they played it over and over.

Johnny Textface

Michael Bay at some promo for a curved telly (they didn't last long did they?)

https://youtu.be/R4rMy1iA268

Just unable to wing it in any way shape or form. He doesn't simply die but commits suicide. Partridge would be less than impressed with this performance.

Mr Banlon

I remember the BBC had one of their 'Rock Around the Clock' things on in the Summer of '83. (24hrs of live music and videos etc on BBC2)
At some point in the afternoon they broadcast a live concert from the band Roman Holiday. I think there were maybe a dozen or so people in the audience, and most of them were just wandering about and ignoring the show.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 28, 2021, 06:19:29 PM
That's the first time I've seen that. Nicole Kidman and David Schwimmer in the green room clearly thinking he's an unfunny cunt, audience baffled, but they *do* laugh at some very weak and tasteless material. Wonder if the director had a word in JR's miked- up ear, and wonder if JR subsequently muttered " I'd fuck off out of it if I were you, mate" into Wooton's ear, before he left at high speed?

The interview Kidman did with Ross was pretty awkward as well. At one point she says, perhaps only half-jokingly "I just want it to end!". Possibly not a coincidence that she's never been interviewed by Ross again in 16 years since.

I could just picture her on the phone to her agent the second it was over demanding "What the FUCK was that shit? NEVER book me for this show again!!"

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Jockice on June 28, 2021, 08:52:09 PM
Did nobody try to stop it?
Nice.

I have to admit the Ghostman line about Kurt Cobain did make me chuckle.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 27, 2021, 04:38:49 PM
Most acts I saw support The Fall absolutely died on their arses

Suede when the supported The Fall at Glasgow City Halls. They hadn't broke through yet, but I knew of them.

Went down the front when they were playing their set to about a dozen people, none of them interested. Managed about 30 seconds of dire wailing before leaving for the bar

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 27, 2021, 02:41:14 PM
That pensioner comedian on Britain's Got Talent. They add all the silly ragtime music over it in the edit to make it comedic but there was probably just silence and nervous laughter in the Apollo auditorium. Haha, look at the befuddled old man allowing nerves to get to him. Not a grain of sympathy, certainly not in this clip and ITV chose to show this on Saturday night TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSQWAYQfFiE

For some reason I can't post the clip of Shabnam, later a first week evictee from Big Brother, trying out her presenting skills on BGT. The perfect display of lack of talent combined with ambition and enthusiasm.

But having  said that, there are plenty of famous people with TV careers who have those three attributes.to an equal or even greater extent.

Jockice

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 28, 2021, 09:36:07 PM
Suede when the supported The Fall at Glasgow City Halls. They hadn't broke through yet, but I knew of them.

Went down the front when they were playing their set to about a dozen people, none of them interested. Managed about 30 seconds of dire wailing before leaving for the bar

Slightly similar but I was one of about a dozen people watching Happy Mondays when they supported The Shamen at The Leadmill in 1987. My only memories were wondering why they hadn't taken their coats off (it was a warm September evening) and thinking it was nice of the band to let one of their brothers with learning difficulties up on stage with them.

GoblinAhFuckScary

ooh ahh that ghostman interview was rough

PaulTMA

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 28, 2021, 09:58:46 PM
ooh ahh that ghostman interview was rough

physically painful to watch.  look at his face after the chemo joke.  he knows he's well gone and fucked everything

Dusty Substance

When I saw Madness in 1999 at Wembley Arena, the support act were two lads telling the story of Ska music via a DJ set. One lad would narrate, the other would drop in snippets of tunes. This was not what the very hyped up crowd were expecting for a support act and the awkward silence in a huge venue soon turned to boos and jeers.

Psybro

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 28, 2021, 08:02:06 PM
Did she oblige?

The workmanlike way she carried on doing her job in deplorable circumstances still haunts me.