Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:02:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's your favourite Assassins Creed game?

Started by Mobius, June 27, 2021, 10:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

I'm dead bored so going to replay one, and think I'm going to do Odyssey because it's massive, everything is nice and colourful and Greek mythology is cool.

What's your best one.

Lemming

Odyssey easily. Nothing better than turning your brain off and spending 200 hours watching Kassandra walk/sail around an oddly psychedelic landscape, getting into fights every 10 steps.

Johnny Textface

I only really played the second one back in the day and it was great. I hear they're generally all the same but that one is best.

Mobius

Quote from: Johnny Textface on June 28, 2021, 12:32:01 AM
I only really played the second one back in the day and it was great. I hear they're generally all the same but that one is best.

I've probably got the least experience with the older ones, but am a bit unsure how dated they feel. I assume they've all been re-released on the PS4 though.

I was undecided between Odyssey and Black Flag. The boat stuff was pretty fun I seem to recall. I haven't played Brotherhood or Unity at all.

I'm fairly sure I haven't played any of the DLC for Odyssey so I'll definitely check that out - as if the game isn't massive enough

Barry Admin

Third one for sure; absolutely compelling and shocking story, I recall.

Loved most of them until they got heavy into the sailing stuff with Black Flag. I also lost any fucking clue about the overarching storyline with Desmond and all that stuff. And they put that fucking sneering prick Danny Walllace in at some point, too. Boke.

Cuellar

Only played II and Odyssey, so probably Odyssey. Sort of tempted to try Origins as it's going cheap on steam, but I think I'm expecting an Odyssey type affair but in Egypt and it probably won't be that will it.

Neomod

They are rinse and repeat games but I'd say I've enjoyed II and Rogue the most so far. Playing Origins at the moment and have Odyssey waiting to go so that might change.

I like the look of the Syndicate and Unity based purely on their locations so will give them a spin at some point as they are now going cheap.

madhair60

Used to be Black Flag (loved the ship stuff) but started playing Odyssey yesterday and my word, it's impressive.

Neomod

Might put Origins on hold and just crack on with Odyssey.

The Crumb

Somewhat dictated by what location and time period you're most attached to. They're mostly competent and similar games, so the virtual tourism element is a big part of the appeal. For me, that makes Odyssey the best.

Chedney Honks

Odyssey was really entertaining and absorbing for a good fifty hours, which is very rare for me. I've tried a few others and while they seem incredibly similar, there was something which didn't hit the spot.

beanheadmcginty

Odyssey is the best, Kassandra is a great character and the DLC is really imaginative.

mobias

I've never played an Assassins Creed game but I was looking for a good open worlder to loose myself in. I was going to try Valhalla since its the most recent but if Odyssey is better I'll go for that if CAB thinks its better. 

madhair60

I found Valhalla a bit of a bleak slog - Odyssey is genuinely brilliant. Highly recommend it.

Cuellar

Yeah Odyssey is great fun and a massive open world.

Barry Admin

Maybe I should give Odyssey another crack, didn't gel with it at all. I think I'd just finished playing other cheap Ubisoft games and couldn't face any more busywork after Watch Dogs or whatever.

Cold Meat Platter

Bailed on 1, finished 2, started Brotherhood but lost interest. Favourite bit was rugby tackling fleeing minstrels.
Tried to play 2 again after getting it free on PC but the handholding and interminable tutorials put me off.
It's 2 and it's follow ups that have Danny Wallace in it isn't it? Oddly enough he plays a tedious cunt.

Poobum

Only played Black Flag and my main feeling was that it would be quite a boring game without the ship stuff so I've never bothered with the others. So many of the mechanics such as the trailing people and stealth were annoying bits to get through, with the collecting only stimulating unhealthy compulsiveness.

Cuellar

Luckily you don't have to bother about stealth or anything in Odyssey.

Mobius

Called in sick to work so going to get stuck into Odyssey today!

DenzilHolles

Quote from: Mobius on June 29, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
Called in sick to work so going to get stuck into Odyssey today!

Enjoy - Odyssey is absolutely fantastic, with the caveat that I've not played much of the other games. Origins is a very similar game to Odyssey but with the Egyptian setting and not quite as vast - it didn't click with me as much as Odyssey so I only got ten or so hours into it, but keep meaning to go back to it. Let us know how you get on with it.

Waking Life

The Ezio trilogy is quite a satisfying 'storyline', although not for the Desmond /Adam and Eve hokum. They also built upon each other quite well gameplay-wise, but naturally with AC, there's still a lot of repetition and flab.

I tried 3 and was woeful. Syndicate I bought for Victorian London and it's decent enough from that perspective (although the Whitechapel / Jack the Ripper elements are poor). Always good to see Charlie Dickens in real life though. Gameplay-wise, it was beating up the same anonymous fat bald men in red coats (quite true to life I suppose).

Odyssey and Origins terrify me in terms of potential time investment into a franchise that already had enough busywork. I often waste time in life but it genuinely scares me to give up another substantial portion of my finite life to AC.

madhair60

I know everyone says this every time but I have no idea why they persist with the Abstergo/modern day framing device thing. Not one single living human being on the planet likes it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just watched some gameplay of Odyssey. Not sure what difficulty level it was set to but apparently running up to a target in broad daylight is 'stealth' because they just stand there not noticing you.

Cuellar

Depends where you are. Some areas people will attack you on sight e.g. forts, the houses of important people, but otherwise soldiers have no reason to attack you in the street or whatever. You're just some woman wandering about.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuellar on June 29, 2021, 10:59:45 AM
Depends where you are. Some areas people will attack you on sight e.g. forts, the houses of important people, but otherwise soldiers have no reason to attack you in the street or whatever. You're just some woman wandering about.

Yes, this still included enemies atop forts that seemed to have really dull powers of detection. Regardless, going up to anyone with sharp object drawn should really be cause for alarm.

madhair60

It's a video game mate a video game yeah you know it's not real right you know it's not real don't you it's just a video game pal

Cuellar

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 29, 2021, 12:29:56 PM
Regardless, going up to anyone with sharp object drawn should really be cause for alarm.

It was Greece in the old days, everyone was tooled up all the time

Mobius

I'm really enjoying Odyssey, must have played for a good 8 hours yesterday. Think I've explored approximately 1% of the map, fuck me it's huge! Everything looks so vivid and sunny, it's just nice to explore and the control feels good. I feel like I'm shit or it's hard though, keep dying against similarly levelled enemies. I think I'm just shite at parrying and dodging.

Turns out I already had it purchased but just not downloaded, and I got a bunch of Ezio's gear from one of the old games! And I have some what looks like English Gentleman or bowler hatted crooks manning my Greek ship now.