Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:53:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's your favourite Assassins Creed game?

Started by Mobius, June 27, 2021, 10:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Learn the kick and just run round going BOOFFFFF booting cunts off cliffs. Best thing in the game.

Cuellar

The 'chucking your spearhead thing from a distance and chaining the attacks' makes most combat utterly trivial so get that too.

Mobius

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 29, 2021, 09:50:39 PM
Learn the kick and just run round going BOOFFFFF booting cunts off cliffs. Best thing in the game.

Yeah it almost feels like cheating just booting someone off a boat.

Quote from: Cuellar on June 29, 2021, 10:06:02 PM
The 'chucking your spearhead thing from a distance and chaining the attacks' makes most combat utterly trivial so get that too.

I've got that one, well it chains once so far - but I don't do enough damage to 1 shot most enemies yet

I'm about level 10 and have a bunch of quests that vary from Level 12 (surprisingly nails) to like level 25, which are just going to clog my quest log forever

DenzilHolles

Yep, cunting people off cliffs with the Spartan Kick is a great joy. One thing i wish i'd known at the start is that it's not worth bothering upgrading your gear as it's really expensive and you level up really quickly, so you're always finding new weapons that are around the level you are currently on.

Mobius

Yeah I got a load of cool Ezio gear which is legendary or epic or something... but it almost immediately becomes worthless once you level up a few times and it's really pricey to upgrade. Saving all my resources for ship upgrades.

But they've got that transmog appearance thing that a lot of games have now, so even if you're wearing wank gear you can make it look like your cooler gear.

DenzilHolles

It's really worth engraving gear though - my particular favourite was one that added fire attack to your weapons.

Cuellar

I'm raging - I started a new game to play it through as the man a month or so ago and now I can't access my old Kassandra playthrough at all. I realised I hadn't done the DLC and wanted to give it a go and it's all gone!

I hate the man.

MoreauVasz

I loved Odyssey. To this day it is one of my favourite games of all time. I then downloaded Origin and, despite the two games being mechanically almost identical, I could not deal with the Egyptian stuff at all.

Looking back, I now realise that a lot of this is down to writing. Odyssey has fun characters and the pacing of the plot is well managed. Like, you start out and you're just a provincial mercenary killing people for pay and favours. The game allows you to get a feel for the character and the setting before introducing the plot and even then it allows aspects of the plot to bed in before expanding the scope.

Origins on the other hand, has no characters and it opens with a series of cut scenes that introduce you to the character, the setting and two or three different plot strands before you have even taken control of your character. Swimming in info, it then expects you to be invested in various conspiracies that barely make sense involving factions you barely recognise.

wasp_f15ting

I loved Black Flag, Valhalla is probably my fave but Origins was great too.

Neomod

Quote from: Mobius on June 29, 2021, 10:33:14 PM
I'm about level 10 and have a bunch of quests that vary from Level 12 (surprisingly nails) to like level 25, which are just going to clog my quest log forever

Is it a bit of a grind then?

beanheadmcginty

I'd be interested to know if anybody has done more than my total playtime on Odyssey of 226 hours. That did involve me doing absolutely everything the game and DLC had to offer. And even after that I still would've played more if they gave it to me.

Noodle Lizard

When I think about it now, Syndicate might be my favourite of the AC games. Being the last one before they kind of re-crafted it with Origins, it includes and has fine-tuned all the best mechanisms from the other games (except for boats, but I never particularly cared about those bits), and the Victorian London setting is aesthetically perfect for me. One of the more fun storylines as well.

AC:II and Brotherhood are amazing, obviously, and probably "better" overall considering when they were made, but they get harder and harder to return to. Compared to something like Syndicate, they're starting to feel a bit clunky.

I keep giving up on Origins and Odyssey, they don't hold my interest for long and feel a bit too intimidatingly big. With the Italy-based ones and Syndicate especially (being a former Londoner), you start to get a good feel for the map to the point where you don't really need to look up where to go. A lot of dead space in the 'O' games as well - the towns/cities in Odyssey especially are quite dull and lifeless, I thought. I haven't given Valhalla a go yet - I'm assuming all the release bugs have been patched by now?

Neomod

Just got stuck into this today and it's a lot of fun especially when you start adding abilities. The level gating is a bit annoying so no sailing about like in Rogue, stopping off to take a settlement when you please. Still, it's huge if the map (and what everyone said on here) is anything to go by.

Oh and nice of Lovejoy to make an early appearance as Elpenor.

I wonder what the percentage is of players who have chosen to play Kassandra as opposed to the fella. I did and I think I chose wisely.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 01, 2021, 01:29:21 PM
I'd be interested to know if anybody has done more than my total playtime on Odyssey of 226 hours. That did involve me doing absolutely everything the game and DLC had to offer. And even after that I still would've played more if they gave it to me.

That was around as much time as I spent on it. I absolutely would've spent more time with Kassandra if there had been more to do
Spoiler alert
- she lived for around two and a half thousand years, so the craic had barely even begun for her. I want to know how she ended up in that hideous ill-fitting suit and everything she'd been up to before she put it on.
[close]

Quote from: Neomod on July 04, 2021, 06:06:39 PM
Oh and nice of Lovejoy to make an early appearance as Elpenor.

I kinda liked Elpinor. He was a cunt, but he had a certain charm other villains in the game lacked. He also reminded me of Mr Wint out of Diamonds Are Forever.
Spoiler alert
I was surprised he was done away with so quickly,
but at least Kassandra had a nice reunion with him in Hades.
[close]

Quote from: Neomod on July 04, 2021, 06:06:39 PM
I wonder what the percentage is of players who have chosen to play Kassandra as opposed to the fella. I did and I think I chose wisely.

I couldn't have spent 220 odd hours listening to that stupid voice. He's laughable in every cut scene.

My colleague played as the fella cos he wanted to do the whole 300 thing and didn't feel it was right playing as a woman. His loss.

beanheadmcginty

Yeah, surely Odyssey was designed with the intention that you play as Kassandra? She's so much better than the bloke in every respect and there's at least one quest line that would've been really fucking weird if I wasn't playing as a woman. Although saying that, the cover art shows a bloke assassin, but maybe that's Ubisoft worrying about scaring away the manbabies.

bgmnts

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 06, 2021, 01:12:07 PM
Yeah, surely Odyssey was designed with the intention that you play as Kassandra? She's so much better than the bloke in every respect and there's at least one quest line that would've been really fucking weird if I wasn't playing as a woman. Although saying that, the cover art shows a bloke assassin, but maybe that's Ubisoft worrying about scaring away the manbabies.

I think it's actually part of Ubisoft's culture. They have form for weird attitudes towards women in games.

rack and peanut

Jacob is front and centre on the Syndicate cover art, despite Evie being just as much of a lead character, and more likeable IMO. Deffo some manbaby affirming shenanigans.

Chedney Honks

It's less to do with Ubisoft than the amoeba tier inept gonk scum who make up the vast amount majority of 'gamers'.

Neomod

Finished the first Island and getting to the mainland you really see the vastness of the task ahead.

So with limited available time to play I usually ration myself to do one thing, be it a side mission, bit of exploring or one of the main tasks.

Obviously that went out the window when I discovered Poseidon's arse.

Cuellar

You can climb up Apollo's knackers somewhere

Mobius

The world looks so pretty, climbing just feels less fiddly than Valhalla for some reason too.

I've sort of finished the first island now, although I can't kill that legendary bear. Heading to some weird cave on Andros. I haven't had to jump back to modern times yet, which is nice.

I don't really understand how this war stuff works though, I have blue and red flags on my map like I can fight for Sparta or Athens and take control of regions... does it actually effect anything?

Chedney Honks

Sorry, yeah, I do know about all that, just saying the real reason isn't because they're abusive bastards, which they are, it's because gamers are skullfucked in the head.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Mobius on July 06, 2021, 09:21:28 PM
I've sort of finished the first island now, although I can't kill that legendary bear. Heading to some weird cave on Andros. I haven't had to jump back to modern times yet, which is nice.

I managed to cheat one of the boar fights (the fart gas cunt) by leading a higher level mercenary there. It's a bit remote so it took a while (and you have to make sure they're still following occasionally), but he killed it for me easily.

Mobius

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on July 06, 2021, 10:02:26 PM
I managed to cheat one of the boar fights (the fart gas cunt) by leading a higher level mercenary there. It's a bit remote so it took a while (and you have to make sure they're still following occasionally), but he killed it for me easily.

This is a great idea, thanks. I watched one of thoes mercs slaughter about 20 enemies yesterday, it was ace. By the end he had like 1hp left and all I had to do was give him a big kick up the arse.

bgmnts

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 06, 2021, 09:58:10 PM
Sorry, yeah, I do know about all that, just saying the real reason isn't because they're abusive bastards, which they are, it's because gamers are skullfucked in the head.

Oh right yeah fair enough. I suppose they're both branches of the same misogynistic, rotten tree.

Neomod

Quote from: Mobius on July 06, 2021, 09:21:28 PM
The world looks so pretty, climbing just feels less fiddly than Valhalla for some reason too.

I don't really understand how this war stuff works though, I have blue and red flags on my map like I can fight for Sparta or Athens and take control of regions... does it actually effect anything?

I've completed the first island and I don't recall a legendary bear so may have killed one not realising it's legendary status, where was it in a cave?

The Spartan's really seem like assholes and dad's a prick but I've just won a battle with them. Hopefully you get to change sides?

Cuellar

The war stuff doesn't really matter. You can win a region for Athens then immediately start bumping their soldiers off, burning their supplies then win it back for Sparta if you want. No one thinks any less or more of you.

Mobius

Quote from: Cuellar on July 07, 2021, 11:09:20 AM
The war stuff doesn't really matter. You can win a region for Athens then immediately start bumping their soldiers off, burning their supplies then win it back for Sparta if you want. No one thinks any less or more of you.

Ha okay, it seemed that was the case but I felt daft just murdering a succession of Athenian and Spartan leaders. Good to know, easy XP!

Quote from: Neomod on July 07, 2021, 10:59:04 AM
I've completed the first island and I don't recall a legendary bear so may have killed one not realising it's legendary status, where was it in a cave?

Sorry I just realised I typed bear instead of boar. And I meant the first island you go to, not the one you start on. This quest basically https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-18-assassins-creed-odyssey-kalydonian-boar-strategy-5022