Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:30:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy moments that are blatantly excuses to exorcise frustrated pop star dreams

Started by ajsmith2, June 28, 2021, 09:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Though my thread title probably suggests it with a bit of pejorative tone, it doesn't mean they have to be bad/embarrassing. (though those accepted too of course) Comedy was of course touted as the new rock and roll in the 90s, and there is a clear and deep rooted entwinement/crossover of the roles/skill sets of comedy icon and proper pop star that has led those who ended up succeeding as the former retroactively wanting to live out the fantasies of how things could have worked out as the latter.

Eldon as Mao doing Virginia Plain on Big Train is a textbook case imo. There's just enough of a comedic fig leaf of the bizarre but also strangely appropriate sight of it being Mao on his death bed launching into this classic for it to work, but really a big motivation of them doing this sketch (I would venture anyway) was so that the Big Train folk could get to pretend to be Roxy Music for 3 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEa9HvEcIlE

Likely to be less beloved on CaB is Katherine Jenkins with a case of 'The Beyonces': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvmQYMlOvI

Another older example I can think of is the usually infallible Peter Cook indulging in a joke-free Elvis impression on his very short lived talk show Where Do I Sit? (footage not existent, prob to the benefit of his legacy)

Anyhow, any others, good bad, indifferent or notable?

Gurke and Hare

The bits where Jim Royle gets his banjo out are along these lines - not necessarily frustrated pop star, but more "Here's a talent one of the cast has, let's crowbar it in".

Utter Shit

Quote from: phantom_power on June 28, 2021, 09:55:08 AM
Many examples with Frank Skinner

I love Frank and think he's probably the best comedian the UK has ever produced, but his singing is so, so bad, especially given the regularity with which he makes fun of Baddiel's voice on Three Lions.

DrGreggles

KennyMonster

Early to mid 90s, Mark Lamarr hosted a series of late night (after Newsnight, I think) shows on BBC2 covering the Edinburgh Festival.

The climax of the mini series was a bunch of fellow comedians, introduced by Lamarr as being frustrated pop stars signing Gangster by The Specials.

Vocals: The Actor Kevin Eldon
Backing Vocals: Lamarr
Guitar: Bill Bailey
Bass: Boothby Graffoe (I think).
Drums: Can't remember

DJ Bob Hoskins

I always felt that the "Little Mouse" song from Look Around You fell firmly into this category. And given the excellent music that Popper and Serafinowicz made for the show under the name Gelg, also felt completely unnecessary as they had already proven their musical ability. It's not a coincidence that it's the only segment in the entire first series that I don't find hilarious.

Kevin Eldon's "Machadaynu" and Christoper Obi's "Rapping Song" in Series 2 are miles funnier, and all the better for being so brief. Not sure if they were also written by Popper & Serafinowicz but I would assume so.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: KennyMonster on June 28, 2021, 10:19:35 AM
Early to mid 90s, Mark Lamarr hosted a series of late night (after Newsnight, I think) shows on BBC2 covering the Edinburgh Festival.

The climax of the mini series was a bunch of fellow comedians, introduced by Lamarr as being frustrated pop stars signing Gangster by The Specials.

Vocals: The Actor Kevin Eldon
Backing Vocals: Lamarr
Guitar: Bill Bailey
Bass: Boothby Graffoe (I think).
Drums: Can't remember

That wasn't done for comic effect though so doesn't really count.

Brundle-Fly

Confrontation Song from Not The Nine O'Clock News. I've always loved it but the lyrics are quite serious and I don't know who Mel Smith is supposed to be parodying. It seems like a pastiche of Killing Joke maybe?

sevendaughters

Britain's Got the Pop Factor... and Possibly a New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly on Ice, which was paper thin and attempted to launch Peter Kay as a trans woman pop star, and no one commented how weird and possibly offensive this all was because it was done by a Professional Garlic Bread Considerer.

dead-ced-dead

Lee Evans would always end his shows with those woeful ballads and it seems he would have preferred to be a crooner like (I believe) his dad was.

I think I'm remembering right that his dad was a singer.

Dusty Substance

JaDanketies

Gervais.

Bill Bailey might deserve an honourable mention because he's actually talented and often very funny, and would be good on Eurovision

mippy

The comedy song at the end of a sketch show trope seems to have fallen out of fashion. Smack The Pony is the last one I can remember doing it as a regular thing.

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 28, 2021, 12:09:54 PM
I always felt that the "Little Mouse" song from Look Around You fell firmly into this category. And given the excellent music that Popper and Serafinowicz made for the show under the name Gelg, also felt completely unnecessary as they had already proven their musical ability. It's not a coincidence that it's the only segment in the entire first series that I don't find hilarious.

Well worth it for the Reggae Man follow-up from series 2 though.

mippy

Maybe the comedian-does-swing-album has overtaken it. I saw 'An Evening With Rob Brydon' advertised in Eastbourne with a poster suggesting there was a band and singing involved.

Brundle-Fly

I often thought French and Saunders parodies, films included, were an excuse to raid the BBC costume department and get to be their idols for the day.

Case in point. They do look fabulous though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLSvbvmDixQ

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: mippy on June 28, 2021, 12:46:46 PM
The comedy song at the end of a sketch show trope seems to have fallen out of fashion. Smack The Pony is the last one I can remember doing it as a regular thing.

It's Kevin always finished with a number.

JaDanketies

First time I saw Mrs Brown's Boys, they finished the show with a big singalong.

Autopsy Turvey

There's that bit in Auf Wiedersehen Pet when Oz gets up to do a song in a country and western pub and he sings the whole thing while everyone is blown away by the transcendent beauty of his voice. His debut LP emerged shortly afterwards.

JaDanketies

Matt Stone and Trey Parker love their little singing interludes. Cannibal! The Musical is their first full-length film and it's got some of the catchiest tunes ever in it.

Jack Black appears to have accomplished all of his dreams, to be a comedian, a rock star and even occasionally a dramatic actor.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on June 28, 2021, 01:14:08 PM
There's that bit in Auf Wiedersehen Pet when Oz gets up to do a song in a country and western pub and he sings the whole thing while everyone is blown away by the transcendent beauty of his voice. His debut LP emerged shortly afterwards.

Yes. Worst moment in 'Pet history.

Oddly, the same episode featured one of the greatest, as Barry gave one of Ally Frasier's thugs a vicious shoeing

BJBMK2

John Stamos being all chummy and bezzie mates with Mike Love. I know the Love fronted iteration of the Beach Boys appeared on Full House a couple of times, but fucked if I'm watching that shite again.

Video Game Fan 2000

Monty Python - The Money Programme?

Found out a while back the Two Ronnies actually put out albums in character as their country music alter egos.

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 28, 2021, 12:09:54 PM

I can't stand this. I agree its the only part of the entire series that doesn't work.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 28, 2021, 12:21:43 PM
Confrontation Song from Not The Nine O'Clock News. I've always loved it but the lyrics are quite serious and I don't know who Mel Smith is supposed to be parodying. It seems like a pastiche of Killing Joke maybe?

Are you thinking of Follow the Leaders, with the handclap bit? It's a bit like They've Got A Bomb by Crass

petril

Quote from: phantom_power on June 28, 2021, 09:55:08 AM
Many examples with Frank Skinner

Tony Ferrino

Blue Heaven was his attempt at ironic gambit, doubling down for the episode where they get misled into being in a "let's take the piss out of crap[nb]it was the 90s, crap was still a big comedy word[/nb] bands vid

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JaDanketies on June 28, 2021, 01:20:15 PM
Jack Black appears to have accomplished all of his dreams, to be a comedian, a rock star and even occasionally a dramatic actor.
School of Rock was at least quite funny, but Tenacious D really dragged it out to interminable length.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: BJBMK2 on June 28, 2021, 02:44:45 PM
John Stamos being all chummy and bezzie mates with Mike Love. I know the Love fronted iteration of the Beach Boys appeared on Full House a couple of times, but fucked if I'm watching that shite again.
Stamos was literally in the Beach Boys for a while though, touring with them and everything.

lankyguy95

Do Tenacious D have anything else approaching Tribute? I don't think so.

Tim Vine's admitted he wanted to be a popstar when he was younger. This tour is as obvious an admission to that fact as it's possible to get. https://www.timvine.com/plastic-elvis-2021-uk-tour/