Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:42:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lost - Season 2 (No spoilers please, we're British)

Started by imitationleather, July 28, 2005, 06:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

I'm sure you've all seen that neverending advert with all the people dancing around a plane crash. I have and was intrigued by it (mainly because the bloke who played Augustus in Oz is in it) and since I never remember when shows are on I decided to take a "preview" look at it.

The premise, as the advert suggests, is that a plane has crashed on an island and about 48 people have survived. It's an idea that's been done quite a lot in the past, but this one looks like it's going to be worth a look because of how in-depth it goes (there's 26 episodes) and from what I've seen it looks like a lot of the story is going to be based on the characters and their pasts.

The first episode is a bit difficult to get through because you're quickly faced with loads of characters without much explanation of the backstory. But in the second episode bad, secret details of some of the survivors start to appear and I imagine that's how the series will develop.

It's all very well done (it looks like an HBO show, but is actually on ABC) and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens. I expect the first few episodes will be them making various failed escape attempts, but once they come to terms that they're stuck there forever it ought to get very interesting indeed.

Once again American drama pisses all over what we're churning out!

Anyone else seen it or looking forward to when it's on Channel 4?

Cerys

Yup - I want to see if my hunch is correct.  Don't ask me why, but ever since I saw the first advert I've suspected that [possible spoiler] they didn't actually survive, but they don't know it yet.

If I'm right then I graciously accept your adulation in advance.

fanny splendid

Yeah, I have seen it. It's okay. It's worth watching for free.

Oh, and they're not dead.

Should be good shouldn't it? I agree I wish we could compete with US tv when it comes to drama series - it isnt just about money, its about taking risks, we dont tend to do that here. I've just worked my way through the tru calling box set which was lent to me by someone and which i'd put off watching for a week because teeny things aren't usually my bag. But it was exceptional and that apparently was one of the us shows that failed!

I'm up to season 5 of oz (theres only six right?) one of the best programmes i've ever seen (though 5 was waning a little)

How do people here watch their tv shows? Do you follow them weekly or, like me, do you wait for the dvd's? Monk, 24, Oz, Tru Calling, The 4400, The Sopranos... all watched through the rental club and enjoyed all the more for it. I hate waiting for episodes!

Link to the lost website: http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/

Cerys

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Oh, and they're not dead.

Smeg.  Why do you have to go shattering a girl's illusions?

imitationleather

I find watching shows weekly difficult, especially when there's as many episodes as twenty-six.

For me torrenting has been a godsend because it means I can watch a series at my own pace, which means either bombing through it all in a weekend or watching one episode every few weeks when I fancy it.

I expect I'll get Lost watched quite quickly though, I want to watch episode three now but it's not ready yet!

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"I'm up to season 5 of oz (theres only six right?) one of the best programmes i've ever seen (though 5 was waning a little)
Yeah, there's six seasons. But beware, if you thought season five was bad then you're in for a shock...

Aha. Thanks to the delights of bit torrent I've seen the whole first season.

Its a good show, very addictive viewing and Im convinced it'll be a hit over here.

But be warned. It was originally written (I think) as a one series show, maybe 12 epidodes... then, when they realised they had a hit on thir hands they extended this, then they extended some more, and then finally ended at 24 episodes with the promise of at least 2 more series...

As a result the plot line (and the producer swear the questions it poses all have satisfactory answers... hmmm, I have my doubts) often feels stretched out and padded. for example something pretty significent happens around episode 10... but then is hardly mentioned for the next 5 and doesn't even get wrapped up by the 24th...

So don't watch this expecting to get many answers any time soon. It would've made a fantastic 10 part mini-series, but I found myself just getting frustrated with the slow drip feed of information and can't help but think its going to wind up like the X-files... lasting several seasons and then once everyone stops watching wrapping it all up in an unsatisfactory way, hoping that by then no one will care anyways.

So, its well made, and the first episodes are great viewing and will almost certainly get you coming back for more... but.. but... but... you might regret getting involved as its gonna be several years before you get any answers...

ah yeah, good unofficial web site for spoliers etc is :
http://www.lost-tv.com/
Someone has kindly transcribed all the episodes here so you can read the scripts.

(edited to add the web page details)

The first time I saw the Channel 4 advert for this I could've sworn it was promoting some kind of new perfume or something. I'll probably give it a go when it starts over here- I'm not a big fan of most American drama series (stuff like The West Wing, 24, ER, Six Feet Under etc. usually just leaves me cold) but it's got that bloke from Lord of the Rings in it. Which is as good a reason as any to watch a TV programme.

The Duck Man

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Should be good shouldn't it? I agree I wish we could compete with US tv when it comes to drama series - it isnt just about money, its about taking risks, we dont tend to do that here.
Mmmm, yeah.

Think how many British drama series are based around the police - in particular pathology - or hospitals.

Some of my favourite British dramas have been Teachers, Shameless, ogh god there was another one. Anyway, they all break this mould.

Quote from: "imitationleather"I
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"I'm up to season 5 of oz (theres only six right?) one of the best programmes i've ever seen (though 5 was waning a little)
Yeah, there's six seasons. But beware, if you thought season five was bad then you're in for a shock...

I didn't think it was bad... but its the worst of the 5 i've seen, im sad to hear things don't get better. Anyway, at the risk of threadjacking, the 6th season isnt out on dvd for some time but could you answer one question for me? Do they ever explain luke perry's dissapearance? It kind of irritated me that they just shrugged it off when his body vanished.

Artemis

I remember this coming on last fall when I was in the States - as I recall, it got a lukewarm reaction critically. As I recall, the first episode is great (or at least opens magnificently) but it kind of tapers off and eventually starts journeying dangerously close to it's own arse. I'll watch it though, for sure. The promos are certainly intriguing (would be more so if they didn't come on every bloody five minutes)

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Cerys"
Quote from: "fanny splendid"Oh, and they're not dead.

Smeg.  Why do you have to go shattering a girl's illusions?

Sorry. I was reading a forum with some people who had been to a Lost convention, and the writers of the series quickly stated that they weren't dead, and seemed to be saying so because it was throwing people of the scent of what was really happening.

I didn't mean to be quite so down on the series; Jimbobsyouruncle sums it up very well.

Cerys

dan dirty ape

It's pretty good stuff. Be warned though, there is one character called Charlie (played by one of the hobbits from Lord of the Rings) who before the crash used to be in a band called, yes, "Driveshaft". You get to see all the character's back stories, and unfortunately his means you hear a lot of Driveshaft's shit "You All Everybody" song, which goes "you all everybody" a lot.

"You all everybody" aside, reccommended.

jimmy jazz

You forget Nip/Tuck. Which I am becoming more than slightly obsessed with. But the whole Miami thing is so 80s, as is the soundtrack. But I think that's intentional.

Need. Less. Full. Stops. Bad. Grammar.

wheatgod

The ad makes it look shit, but this is a very good show, the best I've seen in a long time and probably my favourite american show ever.
You All Everybody is da bomb, you need it in your dome

Rev

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"But be warned. It was originally written (I think) as a one series show, maybe 12 epidodes... <snip>
I found myself just getting frustrated with the slow drip feed of information and can't help but think its going to wind up like the X-files

I'm sure I'll like it, but what you've said there sums up my fears about it.  It really does seem like a one-series idea that was conceived with a definite ending that'll turn out to be unworkable however many series down the line, when the audience leaves and it actually ends.  Still, I've heard too many good things about it to put me off.

same thing happened with 24 though and that worked out even though they concluded it halfway through

imitationleather

If you've not yet seen the trailer it's at Channel 4's site for the show (which hasn't got anything else on it yet). The site is here.

Ambient Sheep

I was originally very intrigued about this, what with the Portishead backing, and especially as it reminded me of an old haunting science-fiction story I once read.

However the sheer overexposure of the trailers has just about killed any interest I might have had, especially as when I finally caved in and went to http://www.channel4.com/lost in the hope of some explanation or info...all it had was a chance to see the fucking trailer again.

Channel 4 can probably stuff it up their own arses for all I care by now.

Mind you, much the same happened with Desperate Housewives, and that turned out to be fucking good, so...

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"...finally caved in and went to http://www.channel4.com/lost in the hope of some explanation or info...all it had was a chance to see the fucking trailer again.

Everything and more you could ever want to know can be found at this Lost 'geek' site

http://www.lost-tv.com

Spoliers everywhere though so tread carefully...

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "imitationleather"Once again American drama pisses all over what we're churning out!

Ever thought about writing for the Radio Times?

imitationleather

Bah. One three part mini-series starring the new Doctor Who doesn't make up for it, y'know.

Just call me Alison.

Almost Yearly

Nip/Tuck is shite. Vapid sensationalism with the odd soulless joke, unworthy of walking the same earth as Six Feet Under.

That trailer for Lost has annoyed me from the start. "We are this, we are that..." it says, and I instinctively belch, "You are cunts." This a special chartered plane for plastic smack-chic models only, is it? Nobody's listened to Portishead for going on ten years, bloody americans. I'm looking forward to the end of Big Brother so I can take a long break from TV.

Ambient Sheep

Thanks for the link, JimBob.

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Nobody's listened to Portishead for going on ten years...
I do, but that's because at my age it still seems like a recent album.  And I haven't thrown a dinner party in about 12 years or more.

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"...bloody americans.
May be C4 rather than the Americans.

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"I'm looking forward to the end of Big Brother so I can take a long break from TV.
Ah but I can empathise with you fully there.

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"
But be warned. It was originally written (I think) as a one series show, maybe 12 epidodes... then, when they realised they had a hit on thir hands they extended this, then they extended some more, and then finally ended at 24 episodes with the promise of at least 2 more series...

Wasn't that what they did with the first series of 24 - hence the decidedly flabby second half of series?

*edit

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"same thing happened with 24 though and that worked out even though they concluded it halfway through

Bollocks... ah well.

Anyway Lost = best thing since tits.

Very good character development throughout the series, with the exception of 2 cheesey moments in the first two episodes, it is very well written. Keeps you guessing and imagining...

Caroline

I've downloaded and watched the whole first season, and while there are some great moments and some excellent characters, I don't think they give you quite enough of a payoff. Having been kept guessing what was going on through twenty-four episodes, I was a bit dissatisfied with the finale. Like when you try to sneeze for ages but can't. Very watchable stuff though.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Is it a Twin Peaks for the 90s?

All the previews for it keep saying 'Well it looks like we'll all be staying in on Wednesdays from now on!' type stuff, which puts me off. But I'll give it a go.

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Is it a Twin Peaks for the 90s?

Considering it is in actual fact 2005, I highly doubt it.