Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:32:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nicest people in the recording industry

Started by Custard, June 29, 2021, 03:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Just to even out the other thread, like

Andy Partridge is a national treasure

Michael Stipe seems like a lovely bloke

Gruff Rhys from Super Furry Animals, obvs

Neil Hannon comes across well at gigs and in interviews

Regina Spektor is incredibly lovely

A lot of people seem to enjoy working with Richard Hawley, so him probably

Who's nice?

Lungpuddle

Paul Heaton making that donation to the staff of Q magazine was the nicest thing that happened last year.
The Johns in They Might Be Giants always come across as nice, Flansburgh is possibly even lovely. And also their bassist Danny.

Think we have everyone covered now.

Kankurette

Not met her, but apparently Tori Amos is lovely and makes far more time for fans than most artist, which is saying a lot because Tori fans are batshit insane, and I am one so I can say this.

Tommy Scott, the singer out of Space, is also a really nice bloke, if a bit mental when he's pissed.

Custard

Ah yes, another vote for Tommy Scott. Only had nice (very minor) interactions with him, but he's a good sort. Incredibly upbeat and friendly

Dennis Wilson was by most accounts a really loveable person, but a bit daft and reckless

Claire Grogan seems really nice, and down to earth

Richard Thompson came across really well in a recent Word In Your Ear podcast. So did Gary Kemp

Glebe

My musical hero Black Francis was extremely polite and courteous when I met him.

kngen

It's pretty much a cliche now to talk about how nice Dave Grohl is, but even though him popping up in every music documentary made in the last 10 years is fairly enervating, he really is a very pleasant, helpful and charming fellow. I'd imagine his omnipresence is a lot to do with him being very generous with his time, and therefore is a easy 'get' for anyone making a music doc.

He's fucking pushing it by foisting his daughter doing X covers on us though.

mobias

When Keith Flint died there were lots of stories about what a truly lovely man he was. I've heard a few anecdotes about the Prodigy all being really cool people. There was a story I heard that there's a small guesthouse somewhere (I think it might be Glasgow) where the Prodigy always stayed when touring even when they became a huge band because when they first started out in the early 90's they stayed there and got on so well with the owners. Keith Flint always insisted on making his own bed in the morning to save one of the staff having to do it.

That ladies and gentleman is rock and roll.

Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub has always struck me a really nice bloke.

danwho9

Dave Gregory and Martin Newell seem like the musicians I'd most like to have a pint with.

Brundle-Fly

Chris Issak is supposed to be a dude. He always travels on the same bus and stays in the same cheap hotels as his roadcrew. Opens up a tab at any bar they frequent after the shows.

Brundle-Fly

Every member I've met from Spandau Ballet has always been delightful. Talking of that era, Martin Fry and Phil Oakey too. Lovely blokes.

Shall I get a broom?

jobotic

Never even an REM fan but didn't Stipe arrange a concert and give the money to D Boon of The Minutemen's family family after he died? They were pretty big by then.

I may have made that up. No idea where I heard it.

Sebastian Cobb

Didn't Billy Bragg hand over quite a bit of cash when a label folded (Go! Discs?) to be given to the day-to-day staff?

Nick Lowe seems like a decent sort but I'm not sure I have anything of substance to back that one up.

Kankurette

Quote from: mobias on June 29, 2021, 04:34:58 PM
When Keith Flint died there were lots of stories about what a truly lovely man he was. I've heard a few anecdotes about the Prodigy all being really cool people. There was a story I heard that there's a small guesthouse somewhere (I think it might be Glasgow) where the Prodigy always stayed when touring even when they became a huge band because when they first started out in the early 90's they stayed there and got on so well with the owners. Keith Flint always insisted on making his own bed in the morning to save one of the staff having to do it.

That ladies and gentleman is rock and roll.

Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub has always struck me a really nice bloke.
When Flint died, there were loads of heartwarming stories about him.

Egyptian Feast

George Michael of course. The stories of his generosity and righteousness that came out after he died were lovely to hear, but made you miss him more.

The clips of him on Hardtalk that have done the rounds recently are great, especially when he counters the quote from Noel Gallagher with "This is not an intelligent man".

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Kankurette on June 29, 2021, 07:01:00 PM
When Flint died, there were loads of heartwarming stories about him.

A mates dad ended up chatting to him in some exclusive airport lounge, I doubt he approached them as a fawning fan, and said he was just a lovely bloke.

Brundle-Fly

John Lydon anonymously donated large sums of money to children's charities until Jonathan Ross brought this up on his chatshow much to Rotten's embarrassment.

Mick Jagger anonymously paid Sid Vicious's legal fees.

Paul McCartney paid for Ian Dury's private medical care.

Sebastian Cobb

George Harrison used to put down and outs in his big mansion didn't he?

Bently Sheds

Isn't Johnny Marr supposed to be a lovely fella? He came across as a genuinely nice bloke on Adam Buxton's podcast.

bakabaka

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 29, 2021, 07:21:01 PM
George Harrison used to put down and outs in his big mansion didn't he?
A friend was knocked off his bike by George Harrison on a country lane near his home. He still thinks of it as the most embarrassing meeting he's ever had because while Harrison was lovely and hugely apologetic and trying to make sure Mark was OK, all Mark could do was burble incoherently because it was George Harrison. Only vigorous nodding of the head by Mark convinced Harrison that it was OK to leave him.[nb]it meant he didn't have concussion or a broken collarbone.[/nb]

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 29, 2021, 05:57:09 PM
Every member I've met from Spandau Ballet has always been delightful.

You haven't met Hadley then.

holyzombiejesus

My friend's band supported Coldplay when they were quite big and apparently/ disappointingly they were lovely. Chris Martin was a bit poncey but decent too. When they arrived at one venue, Coldplay's name was up in lights and CM asked the venue to put my friend's band's name up there as well. He also gave them a 5 figure sum so they could afford to do the tour. I think the drummer's turned out to be a bit of a wanker though - something about a neighbour and a taxi?

Friend said Mike Skinner was also lovely.

When TFC used to play Manchester, they always used to go to Cafe Pop on Oldham Street. My ex worked there and she said a) they would always take their plates back to the counter when they'd finished eating and b) they always used to take some Celtic memorabilia in for Brian the Celtic-mad Geordie who also worked there.

A couple of people have told me that Robbie Williams is a decent man.

sutin

Jarvis Cocker was very nice to me, and to friends who've met him too.

Ron and Russell from Sparks are supposed to be polite and gentlemany to a fault, with several people who have worked with them saying that you never feel like you're getting the 'real' them as they're very private and insular.

In the indiepop 'scene', Duglas BMX Bandits, Stephen Pastel, Amelia Fletcher and Rob Pursey have all been very friendly and nice to me over the years.

Sebastian Cobb

The Drum 'n Bass producer, dj and record shop owner Nicky Blackmarket had a reputation for being a lovely bloke.

I've heard several stories of people saying they'd sometimes have records put behind for them or whatever and tell a parent who happened to be passing to pick them up for them and them remarking how the guy behind the counter was lovely and they were nattering for ages.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sutin on June 29, 2021, 08:51:27 PM
Duglas BMX Bandits

He's a lovely fella. Same goes for most of the Glasgow indie stalwarts I've met - bis, Belle & Sebastian, the aformentioned Teenage Fanclub, all AGBOL. Which isn't particularly surprising, I suppose; it would be a shock to discover that these people are in fact arseholes.

danwho9

Quote from: sutin on June 29, 2021, 08:51:27 PM
Ron and Russell from Sparks are supposed to be polite and gentlemany to a fault, with several people who have worked with them saying that you never feel like you're getting the 'real' them as they're very private and insular.

Impossible to imagine any different really, doesn't surprise me that they aren't the most extroverted either but often private and humble people can be the most genuine.

Kankurette

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 29, 2021, 07:08:01 PM
George Michael of course. The stories of his generosity and righteousness that came out after he died were lovely to hear, but made you miss him more.

The clips of him on Hardtalk that have done the rounds recently are great, especially when he counters the quote from Noel Gallagher with "This is not an intelligent man".
Yes! Loads of donations to charity, but he kept it anonymous cos he didn't want people to make a big fuss about it, I guess. I was so sad when he died.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 29, 2021, 03:48:08 PM
Richard Thompson came across really well in a recent Word In Your Ear podcast.

I thought he was a notorious cunt?  Unless he's massively mellowed in recent years, a la Robert Fripp.

chveik

Twit 2