Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:39:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nicest people in the recording industry

Started by Custard, June 29, 2021, 03:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 03, 2021, 09:30:12 AM
He strikes me as someone who could've been a successful stand-up had he taken a different path. I did see him one afternoon comedy-sparring with Phill Jupitus and Andre Vincent in the Ed Fringe Pleasance Courtyard bar. It was like a roly-poly English version of The Hangover cast.

More people who don't spell their first names the correct way. They make me sick.

New page nice cream from Jockice.

McChesney Duntz

Lou Reed was nice to me once.

No one believes me when I tell them that.

DenzilHolles

Quote from: badaids on July 02, 2021, 08:24:01 PM
I'm really enjoying hearing the inside story on Space.  I'll take all you've got Kankurette.

Same! Wasn't much of a fan but I do admire the commitment. Gene were my favourites, so I'm with you on the unfashionable underacheivers. Though Space did really well.

DenzilHolles

Edited as I managed to quote myself for a spelling mistake.

who cares

Quote from: Spiteface on July 01, 2021, 05:27:24 PM
It's weird how "celebrity" changes how certain actions are viewed, though. I was telling someone I worked with some of the stories around the Happy Mondays recording "Yes Please" in Barbados, to keep Shaun Ryder off the heroin, then he discovered crack. So they didn't let him have any money to buy drugs. So he sold off studio equipment, and his own clothes and piped away naked.

Any normal person, people would think that's terrible. Yet suddenly because it's Shaun Ryder, it becomes funny because he's a "legend"

It's a question of distance isn't it? If you read it in the NME or whatever, it sounds exciting and fucked-up. If you're involved, if you have to deal with the fall-out, it becomes, at the very least, 'a bit of a bother'.

Brundle-Fly

Dean Friedman. Did a cabaret function with him once in the '90s. Self-effacing and a total dude! (although I think he has a notification thing goin' on,so hello Dino x)   

For younger viewers? For the old'uns though, the last few seconds of this link are a killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhXthAzzxo

mobias

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 03, 2021, 06:29:34 PM
Lou Reed was nice to me once.

No one believes me when I tell them that.

I've heard stories from other musicians that he was totally cool with them. I think he just pathologically hated music journalists.

Dusty Substance

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: mobias on July 04, 2021, 11:49:17 AM
I've heard stories from other musicians that he was totally cool with them. I think he just pathologically hated music journalists.

Well, that's the thing - I was a music journalist at the time. But a particularly inept and stumbly one, so I think he showed me some pity.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 04, 2021, 02:18:15 PM
My thoughts exactly. Fuck that guy. XTC are still great.

AP fucked up there, for sure, but he's no anti-Semite holocaust denier. His Jewish partner of three decades might have something to say about that

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 04, 2021, 07:05:29 PM
AP fucked up there, for sure, but he's no anti-Semite holocaust denier. His Jewish partner of three decades might have something to say about that

You can prove anything with facts!

mobias

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 04, 2021, 06:52:14 PM
Well, that's the thing - I was a music journalist at the time. But a particularly inept and stumbly one, so I think he showed me some pity.

I remember many years ago Q magazine did a one off feature with him called 'Tell Lou Reed a joke'. The idea was Q readers could send in a joke and see if they could make Lou Reed laugh. I remember thinking it was quite sporting of of him to go along with it and he did genuinely laugh at most of the jokes, most of which were absolutely crap I seem to remember. 

Compare that to Van Morrison who has an equally bad reputation for being a miserable old bastard, and indeed is a miserable old bastard.

Anyway we're talking about nice people....

pigamus

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 04, 2021, 02:26:58 AM
Dean Friedman. Did a cabaret function with him once in the '90s. Self-effacing and a total dude! (although I think he has a notification thing goin' on,so hello Dino x)   

For younger viewers? For the old'uns though, the last few seconds of this link are a killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhXthAzzxo

He was very sporting about The Bastard Son of Dean Friedman I seem to recall - even did it live with them

DrGreggles

He did one of Boothby's lockdown Zoom gigs. Seems a really good guy, doesn't take himself too seriously.

Kankurette

Quote from: mobias on July 05, 2021, 08:41:38 AM
I remember many years ago Q magazine did a one off feature with him called 'Tell Lou Reed a joke'. The idea was Q readers could send in a joke and see if they could make Lou Reed laugh. I remember thinking it was quite sporting of of him to go along with it and he did genuinely laugh at most of the jokes, most of which were absolutely crap I seem to remember. 

Compare that to Van Morrison who has an equally bad reputation for being a miserable old bastard, and indeed is a miserable old bastard.

Anyway we're talking about nice people....
I can't remember if I've got that issue but that sounds great. Reed did have a sense of humour, just a very dry one. I mean, the guy made Metal Machine Music.

famethrowa

Quote from: Kankurette on July 05, 2021, 09:40:50 AM
I can't remember if I've got that issue but that sounds great. Reed did have a sense of humour, just a very dry one. I mean, the guy made Metal Machine Music.

And he also released Live: Take No Prisoners, basically Lou attempting standup comedy, dissing all and sundry in between his hits. Highly enjoyable.

Head Gardener

Quote from: famethrowa on July 05, 2021, 12:35:46 PM
And he also released Live: Take No Prisoners, basically Lou attempting standup comedy, dissing all and sundry in between his hits. Highly enjoyable.

my copy has a warning sticker!

daf

To be fair, most of that's probably down to the Ringworm. *

- - - - - - - - -
* (It's a very common disease, actually . . . Oooh, aaahhh... Uuunnnhhhaaahhnnn)

Jockice

Quote from: pigamus on July 05, 2021, 09:11:27 AM
He was very sporting about The Bastard Son of Dean Friedman I seem to recall - even did it live with them

I heard from someone who vaguely knows HMHB that they were embarrassed by him latching onto them and only agreed to let him do it with them to stop him asking to. And when Friedman later did a Liverpool date they were invited to appear in stage with him but made a unanimous decision not to even turn up.

Dunno if it's true or not though. But if he reads this maybe he'd be able to clarify things for us.

SteveDave

Over the weekend I went back to Cardiff and took photos of loads of old magazine reviews/interviews that my band did in the early 2000s. One of them was in Careless Talk Costs Lives and Everett True writes about "babysitting" one night in a bar in New York. We plied him and Steve Gullick with drinks and made them tell us stories about various people. I asked about Lou Reed and Steve Gullick said a photo shoot wasn't going that well so he asked Lou Reed to tell him a joke and the joke that Lou Reed came up with was "What does going down on an old person taste like?" Steve said "I don't know, what does going down on an old person taste like" and Lou Reed replied "Depends" and then burst into uncontrollable laughter. Steve had to be informed that Depends were a brand of adult nappy/diaper.

no_offenc

Another thumbs up for Tommy Scott from Space, who was chatty and full of praise when me and goldentony played some gig fucking donkeys years ago in the cafe at Quiggins in Liverpool (so deffo pre 2008, probably around 2005 or so?)

Kankurette

When did Quiggins close? I went there once and it was a bit like a Scouse Afflecks.

buzby

Quote from: Kankurette on July 15, 2021, 11:25:45 AM
When did Quiggins close? I went there once and it was a bit like a Scouse Afflecks.
Quiggins was evicted from it's original location in School Lane in 2006 as part of the Liverpool One development (the two rear warehouses were demolished, the Palatine Building on the corner's facade was retained as frontage for a new building.

Some of the stallholders moved to the Grand Central Hall in Renshaw St (opposite what was Rapid Hardware) and called that Quiggins at Grand Central. That closed in 2018 as the Grand Central Hall was sold for redevelopment into a hotel. The original co-owner of Quiggins also set up a small market in Aigburth, but when he stood for election as an NF candidate in 2012 Mayoral Election the traders at Grand Central dropped the Quiggins name,