Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:34:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 12, 2021, 12:38:14 PM
Imagine looking at the night sky and thinking "here that looks like a lass has dribbled her tit all over it"

Just give me a minute...

beanheadmcginty

Considering how much the ancient Greeks and Romans loved putting cocks all over the place, I'm surprised they didn't think it looked like spunk.

NoSleep

For the first 350,000,000 years after the "big bang" the universe was in darkness, until the first stars formed (called the "cosmic dawn").

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on August 16, 2021, 01:29:54 PM
For the first 350,000,000 years after the "big bang" the universe was in darkness, until the first stars formed (called the "cosmic dawn").

Depends how you define light. The cosmic microwave background dates from around 380,000 years after the "big bang," when the universe became transparent.

The Michelin Star food people are called that because it's the same organisation as Michelin tyres. Did everyone else just know this? I always pronounced them differently and assumed they had different spellings. Fuck my chef's hat.

Paul Calf

I knew that, but have always been aware that it's stupid.

It's because they produced guide books to restaurants to get more people doing more driving. It just blossomed from there.

seepage

According to the guide:

1 Michelin star = worth stopping for a bite if you happen to be passing in your car
2 stars = worth a detour
3 stars = worth a special journey

Poobum

There are also AA rosettes which sound even stupider than Michelin stars.

Mr_Simnock

AA rosettes are aids tier and a very low bar. The worst is catholic nunnery mass child grave canceritic Ebola tier grade 'Lancashire pub award' and other such local food awards/marks, serving a toasted dog turd can win you one of them if you know which cocks to suck.

seepage

In Spain and Italy, outside of major towns & cities it seems that Michelin star places are always down a dirt track in the middle of nowhere. Which invalidates their definition of 1 star because you would never just be passing unless you were completely & utterly lost. Does that apply elsewhere as well?

touchingcloth

Quote from: seepage on August 17, 2021, 03:41:23 PM
According to the guide:

1 Michelin star = worth stopping for a bite if you happen to be passing in your car

So most service stations?

beanheadmcginty

Is Les Routiers still going? That was the big thing in country pubs when I was a kid.

famethrowa

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 18, 2021, 12:26:10 AM
Is Les Routiers still going? That was the big thing in country pubs when I was a kid.

You're the routier, pal!

seepage

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 17, 2021, 09:56:21 PM
So most service stations?

The other way 'round: don't bother eating at any old service station, wait 'til you happen to pass a 1 star eatery [could be in a service station in theory].

dissolute ocelot

These days it's all Trip Advisor awards, which are determined by a proprietary algorithm. Or someone printing out a Trip Advisor review and sticking it in their window.

touchingcloth

Quote from: seepage on August 18, 2021, 08:08:08 AM
The other way 'round: don't bother eating at any old service station, wait 'til you happen to pass a 1 star eatery [could be in a service station in theory].

"Wait until you happen to pass" is an interesting use of "happen to".

Worth a detour so you happen to pass.

Worth going out of your way so you happen to pass.

gilbertharding

I was briefly excited about my work hosting a 'do' at a local restaurant which according to the restaurant website was "Michelin listed"... I realise now that this was printed on their blurb precisely to impress people who didn't quite grasp the fact that it didn't have a star, or what that meant. I mean, it was a very nice meal and I had a really nice time, so thanks!

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 18, 2021, 01:57:33 PM
"Wait until you happen to pass" is an interesting use of "happen to".

Worth a detour so you happen to pass.

Worth going out of your way so you happen to pass.

No. You're on a journey. You happen to pass a service station... you keep going until you happen to pass a much nicer restaurant which would, nevertheless, not be worth a detour.

touchingcloth

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 18, 2021, 06:20:21 PM
No. You're on a journey. You happen to pass a service station... you keep going until you happen to pass a much nicer restaurant which would, nevertheless, not be worth a detour.

Ignoring your hunger level for several days, weeks or months if that's what it takes.

Zetetic

Did you stop at every service station?

No wonder you moved to a country with smaller plates.[nb]This both needed more work and wasn't worth it.[/nb]

touchingcloth

Quote from: Zetetic on August 18, 2021, 07:31:28 PM
Did you stop at every service station?

If I was hungry, then every service station I happened to be passing in my car was worth stopping at for a bite, in the same way that every Greggs was.

My heart's not really in this line of devil's advocacy, by the way, but I do plan on sticking with it.

Zetetic

In fairness, Bibendum himself does come across a little like a creature who'd be unable to pass a Greggs so you may be on to something:

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

buzby

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 11, 2021, 12:08:05 PM
The Hollywood sign, of course, copied on the famous Kindness sign in the Todmorden Morrisons car park.
This appreared recently, fittingly on the massive slag heap next to the A483:

Sebastian Cobb

In parts of China and India 'pig toilets' were/are a thing, where the dunny dumps human shit into a pig sty and then pigs eat it.

I'm not sure how this solves anything though as you've still got the pig shit to deal with.

Paul Calf

Yeah, I went veggie in India when I discovered that that's how they feed the pigs reared for bacon.

idunnosomename

Seems even more amazing they were so pleased with them they had little models of them made to put in their graves.

https://collections.artsmia.org/art/4793/funerary-model-of-a-pig-sty-china

I guess it's the Han Dynasty version of a Buck Rogers toilet

buttgammon

Quote from: buzby on August 24, 2021, 10:35:22 AM
This appreared recently, fittingly on the massive slag heap next to the A483:

That's getting a lot of attention because of Ryan Reynolds and the other bloke's ownership of Wrexham AFC, but it's actually not the first time this happened - someone did it about 20 years ago.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 24, 2021, 11:15:45 AM
Yeah, I went veggie in India when I discovered that that's how they feed the pigs reared for bacon.

Wait til you discover what they feed the plants!