Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2021

Started by CaledonianGonzo, July 01, 2021, 11:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

Is (apparently) a goer...

Summerhall have announced already, and Pleasance and Assembly have confirmed outdoor stages at the Courtyard and George Square gardens respectively.

Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2021: First tickets available, with over 170 Fringe shows revealed
01 July 2021

More shows to be announced weekly, as the world's greatest celebration of arts and culture returns in person and online this August
We are delighted to announce that the first set of shows for the 2021 Edinburgh Festival Fringe will be available to book from today at edfringe.com.

Tickets for over 170 shows will be released at noon BST today, with more programme details set to be announced weekly in the run up to the Fringe (06 – 30 August).

This year, for the first time ever, the programme features an exciting range of both online and in-person shows, with theatre, comedy, music, dance, musicals, variety, visual art, events and more represented.

In addition to ticketed shows, we're delighted to confirm that the Fringe's world-famous street events will be returning this August. More information on this, and our programme of participant and arts industry support, will be announced next week.

The Fringe is a remarkable feat, with a continually developing programme of activity. As we gear up to the start of this incredible festival, more shows will be announced on a weekly basis.

More detailed information on registered shows can be found below, along with previews of future announcements from the likes of Assembly, Gilded Balloon, Dance Base, Pleasance, Laughing Horse Free Fringe Festival, C venues and Zoo.

Commenting on today's announcement, Shona McCarthy, Chief Executive, Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society said:

"After the year we've all had, it brings me an indescribable amount of joy to see Fringe shows going on sale. Fringe operators and artists have been working tirelessly to make this Fringe not only possible, but as safe, accessible and engaging as it can be.

"Things will, of course, look a little different this year. But embracing the unknown and turning it into something magical is what the Fringe does best. I'm excited to see the ways that digital platforms are being used to create exciting, accessible work, and I'm inspired by the way producers and artists have adapted to the ongoing restrictions to bring live performance back to our lives.

"There's still work to do, and with the situation ever-changing, we'll be updating the programme and ticket site weekly. I'm proud of the resilience of our Fringe community, and we're excited to make this festival the very best it can be."

https://www.edfringe.com/learn/news-and-events/edinburgh-festival-fringe-2021-first-tickets-available-with-over-170-fringe-shows-revealed

DrGreggles

I've got the first week booked off work, and accommodation reserved.
Don't think I'll go though.

CaledonianGonzo

Probably a long way to come just to see Paul Merton's Impro Chums and Mervyn Stutter's 'Pick of the Fringe'

DrGreggles

True, but I'd really like to get out of Cambridge.

Gurke and Hare

Have you paid for the accommodation? May as well go if so - there's plenty to do in and around Edinburgh without being crowded into a small unventilated room. Go to North Berwick for the day!

CaledonianGonzo

sevendaughters

nominating machotrouts to go to every single show and review them so comprehensively that I feel I was there. I will reimburse him £3 for every day he has COVID after going.

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 16, 2021, 02:20:42 PM
Monkey Barrel arrive with the first decent selection of acts:

https://twitter.com/BarrelComedy/status/1416004810239791108?s=19

Not much for the week I'm there. Single tickets already gone for Brookes.

EDIT: Sorted for a different day.

CaledonianGonzo

Gone for Bohart / Brookes / Long / Koch / Kumar.  Not too shabby.

machotrouts

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 16, 2021, 03:26:53 PM
nominating machotrouts to go to every single show and review them so comprehensively that I feel I was there. I will reimburse him £3 for every day he has COVID after going.

I will be extremely not going to the Plague Fringe if that's alright with everybody

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 17, 2021, 02:44:17 PM
Gone for Bohart / Brookes / Long / Koch / Kumar.  Not too shabby.

Roberts/Koch/Brookes/Goldsmith/Brady here.

CaledonianGonzo

Fern Brady will definitely be worth a punt but I got a ticket for the tour show when it hits the Stand

Malcy

Will be heading up to see Jack Docherty at least once. I saw his last show at the Fringe and then the updated version at the King's in Glasgow and it was superb both times.

And it gives me a chance to nab him to sign my 7" Bodgers single. He's the only signature missing from it.

I can't see my self staying the whole day like I did last time. An in and out job this year I reckon.

DrGreggles

Jack is one of the few things I've got pencilled in (for the 12th, I think).
There's just not enough to justify doing my usual 50+ shows, so I'm going to take it easy and just chill out for the week.

Malcy

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 24, 2021, 07:05:44 PM
Jack is one of the few things I've got pencilled in (for the 12th, I think).
There's just not enough to justify doing my usual 50+ shows, so I'm going to take it easy and just chill out for the week.

50+?! 3 in one day was enough for me!

DrGreggles

I usually need a holiday afterwards.

DrGreggles

Arrived yesterday.
More of a much-needed break than my usual full-on schedule, but watched 3 shows at Monkey Barrel last night.
Spread out seating, table service drinks, all felt very safe.
Just good to see live comedy again.

And a Jordan Brookes WiP is still better than 90% of other shows.

typeforty

I'm not going to Edinburgh, but I did enjoy Tom Mayhew's show last night. It's a performance via Zoom, so YMMV, but it suits Tom's low-energy, confessional style, and there's plenty of laughs to be had in there.

DrGreggles

I see the first Police Cops show is available online, which I definitely recommend.

Blue Jam

I'd just put my hiking boots on and was about to head up Arthur's Seat to see Barry Fearns' return only to check it was definitely still on today and find that nope, the entire run is cancelled:

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/cancelled-barry-ferns-stands-up-for-2021-on-arthur-s-seat

Could be money troubles again but with the Fringe being smaller than usual I guess it would have been more difficult to find 3-4 guests per day. Yesterday's torrential rain probably didn't help either. Shame, I was really looking forward to the return of this gig and hoping Barry had sorted out his bankruptcy, it was sad to hear about another comedian struggling with costs at the Fringe.

Blue Jam

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 09, 2021, 12:32:25 PM
I see the first Police Cops show is available online, which I definitely recommend.

Nice one, cheers. I've only seen Badass Be Thy Name and I enjoyed it a lot.

greencalx

Went to Comedy Club 4 Kids after school on Friday and whilst enjoyable the acts were noticeably weaker than in previous years, again I think indicative of a smaller fringe. I'm wondering when I'll get away with taking the child into a proper stand-up show. If memory serves, you quite often find mid teens being embarrassed by their parents laughing at filthy jokes. So I look forward to that.

The flip side is that the benches at places like Bristo Sq and High School Yards are nice and far apart, and there's no queues at the bars. Even had a half decent IPA in a glass glass rather than one of those squashy plastic jobs.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 24, 2021, 09:37:41 PM
I usually need a holiday afterwards.

...and a bank loan? Must cost you a fortune. I heard The Stand was as dead as a doornail.

Blue Jam

Quote from: greencalx on August 22, 2021, 12:53:45 PM
Went to Comedy Club 4 Kids after school on Friday and whilst enjoyable the acts were noticeably weaker than in previous years, again I think indicative of a smaller fringe.

Simon Munnery is a regular guest at Barry Fearns' Arthur's Seat gigs, big supporter of the show but he's not here this year, that must have been another blow.

Quoteyou quite often find mid teens being embarrassed by their parents laughing at filthy jokes. So I look forward to that.

Mwahahaha

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 09, 2021, 10:03:04 AM
And a Jordan Brookes WiP is still better than 90% of other shows.

Seeing his WIP in London in September. Very excited.

Malcy

Left it too late to book my ticket for Jack Docherty as I wasn't sure which date I could go and noticed this morning it was all sold out apart from tonight. Went to book it and that was sold out too.

Pretty gutted as I was hoping to get Jack to sign my Bodger's 7" that Pete Baikie gave me a couple of years ago. Only missing Jack's signature. I've emailed the venue to see if there's a returns list. I'll still go next weekend in the hope of getting it signed but will probably miss the show.

DrGreggles

I saw Jack in the bar outside about 30 mins before his show wen I was there, so it might even work out free to bother him!

Malcy

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 23, 2021, 12:26:15 PM
I saw Jack in the bar outside about 30 mins before his show wen I was there, so it might even work out free to bother him!

I bumped into him going into the venue last time when he did his last show so will hope for the same this time. Would still have loved to have seen the show though. Venue said to check the site for tickets exactly 24 hrs before in case any tickets have been released.

JCR

Sam Campbell came up to me on the street and said "Remember the time I spilled sprite on you?" (That happened years ago)

Nice to see he's still crazy if nothing else.

zomgmouse

Didn't realise we Australians were allowed in the country this year