Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:51:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2021

Started by CaledonianGonzo, July 01, 2021, 11:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCR

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 26, 2021, 06:01:20 AM
Didn't realise we Australians were allowed in the country this year

He said in his show he lives in London, but who knows.

zomgmouse

Quote from: JCR on August 26, 2021, 01:06:48 PM
He said in his show he lives in London, but who knows.

INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT

CaledonianGonzo

If anyone's still in Edinburgh, then Sam Campbell's show is fucking glorious. Most I've laughed all month.

And Key's WIP wasn't far behind.

Blue Jam

I'm still in Embra, just booked for Sam Campbell, cheers. "The Australian James Acaster" sounds right uo my street.

What else? Anything good going on near Monkey Barrel tomorrow evening?

Malcy

Heading over this afternoon and have nothing to go see. I'll probably just take a wander and pick something at random. Looked through the listings but nothing interested me or was on too late for me to get home or was sold out.

JCR

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 28, 2021, 09:55:02 AM
If anyone's still in Edinburgh, then Sam Campbell's show is fucking glorious. Most I've laughed all month.

And Key's WIP wasn't far behind.

I agree about Campbell, though I only saw two shows this year his made it feel like old times.

The other show I saw- Police Cops Badass Be Thy Name- was fine but wasn't really carrying to the back of the big room it's in, had it been in a Queen Dome type room it would have worked better methinks

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: JCR on August 28, 2021, 12:27:19 PM
I agree about Campbell, though I only saw two shows this year his made it feel like old times.

Him and Paul Currie were the only shows I saw that weren't billed as WIP and in his case it definitely felt like he'd been breaking it in for a while.

That said he's got naturally funny bones so he could also have been winging it.

Either way, big laughs a go go.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 28, 2021, 11:09:41 AM
I'm still in Embra, just booked for Sam Campbell, cheers. "The Australian James Acaster" sounds right uo my street.

What else? Anything good going on near Monkey Barrel tomorrow evening?

Key

Blue Jam

Never been a fan of Tim Key's own stuff I'm afraid, I prefer him in stuff written by other people. Does he still do poetry? I also see he's "ruminating on lockdown", and I really want to avoid Covidy stuff.

JCR- I saw  Badass Be Thy Name in a big lecture theatre off George Square and everyone was loving it and the atmosphere was great, but it probably helped that it was the last day of the Fringe and there were no Covid restrictions so the place was packed.

Blue Jam

Are the comedy awards still being given out this year?

DrGreggles

I've seen all 3 Police Cops and loved all of them.
Badass Be Thy Name is definitely the oddest.

Blue Jam

Just back from Sam Campbell. Was in a Covid bubble of one in the front row. Got picked on massively and I probably reek of Lynx Africa now but I REGRET NOTHING. Fucking brilliant. My one 2021 Fringe show but it was a good one.

Gonna get me some life insurance from Real Insurance now. No medical or blood test required.

DrGreggles

Gutted he wasn't on when I was there, but I've seen him 5 times and he was brilliant every time.

Malcy

Enjoyed my few hours in Edinburgh on Saturday but didn't see a single show unfortunately. It was very busy as Uni graduations were on as well. Just sat outside the Teviot and had a few pints then home. Hopefully next year I can go over for a few days.

edwardfog

I went up at the beginning of the month and saw pretty much everything that was on during the five days I was there. Gutted to miss Sam Campbell but I've got tickets to his Soho Theatre run

Anyway here's what I saw. Mostly WIPs so your mileage may vary

Loved it:
Julia Masli and the Duncan Brothers - Logs
Catherine Bohart - WIP

Really liked it:
John Luke Roberts - It is Better
Fern Brady - Autistic Bikini Queen (WIP)
Jordan Brookes - Some Stuff (WIP)
Christopher MacArthur-Boyd - Oh No (WIP)

Liked it:
Josie Long - WIP
Trevor Lock - Trevor Lock's Show
Olga Koch - Homecoming (WIP)
Mark Watson - WIP
Rosco McClelland - WIP

Basically fine:
Terrible Wonderful Adaptations
Tom Little - Tom Little Makes a Triumphant Return to Stand-Up

Didn't like it:
Double Drop
Garrett Millerick - Sports
The New Scummy Mummies
Glenn Wool - The Tiny Kings of Winter

edwardfog

Mark Watson may have lost a point because the man simply cannot get off the stage at the end of a show. He came on late and must have spent ten minutes at the end telling us to support live comedy, just making the same points over and over again while our next show started in the next room. He was still going when we left.

Love u Mark but please respect the scheduling

edwardfog

Millerick was a pity because he's so good on his podcast but his standup doesn't hit at all when he doesn't have anyone to bounce off.

Glenn Wool's show was a weird one because I think it's technically an alright show but the whole experience made me feel deeply depressed and ill at ease. I think there may be a dark presence in that room

CaledonianGonzo

Would agree that Catherine Bohart's WIP was very good.  She's got naturally funny bones.

Blue Jam

Wasn't sure where to post this, but for anyone who had read about Fringe regular Scott Agnew having a heart attack and was worried, he's popped up on Facebook to say he's fine:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-comedian-scott-agnew-being-24941791

Seems he was being prepped for surgery but didn't need it in the end, just got stented up and is stable now. 39 years old though, fuck. My age. Brrrrr. Hope he makes a good recovery and lays off the square sausage.