Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crap things that developers/studios inexplicably insist on putting into games

Started by Spiteface, July 01, 2021, 01:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 03, 2021, 02:18:39 PM
Skill trees. They just make a game seem like work.

especially when the choices and when you unlock them are in a fairly arbitrary order, or aren't distinct enough to form a playstyle

oh, maybe you can do a big jump OR pick up another 2 rockets.  What decisions.

beanheadmcginty

H-O-W-L

Quote from: thelittlemango on July 02, 2021, 04:38:25 PM
Are there any turret sections that nailed it? Trying to think and struggling but I'm certain there are a couple where after grinding through you get the sweet feeling of retribution as you tear apart scenery and mow down swarths of enemies who have been giving you gip for the whole game.

Several in Saints Row IV, IMO. There's one segment where you're firing out of the passenger seat of a car near the end of the game that is wholly satisfying because they take a very scenic route and empower you with several really good weapons with infinite ammo. Granted, you can't use the superpowers that have made the game really great up to that point, but it DOES feel like it's an earned turret segment.

H-O-W-L

Really fucking laughed my arse off when the GRR SUPER COOL helicopter gunner turret segment in Cyberpunk 2077 came up and I just sat still for (no joke) twenty minutes to make and drink a Scotch & coke, check me e-mail in my second monitor, and then take a piss only to find out the enemy AI had not killed me yet.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Shouty NPC'S telling you to do a thing. You know the sort, "Open this door", "Pick up this weapon" "Turn this valve" etc. Something that you have to do in order to progress the game, but to instill a sense of urgency in you they make your NPC squadmates bark at you every few seconds. "Look, if you don't open this door immediately we are going to fucking explode. Open it NOW!".
At its most annoying when you're wandering about looking for collectibles, or merely just admiring the scenery.

Thing is, there are certain games where the developers are clever enough to realise that some people want to take their time with things, so they'll reduce the frequency of the orders after a few minutes, just giving you a quick reminder every now and again in case you've forgotten. I seem to remember Half Life 2 was good with that.
Worst offender: Any single player campaign of any Call of Duty/Battlefield game.

mobias

Unnecessary level unlocks.

In some games in makes absolute sense to have to be at a certain level to unlock something but other games, certainly some simulators, seem to have them for the sake of it because its an expected game trope.

mobias

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 04, 2021, 10:11:11 AM
I think the idea is that it keeps people playing.

Yeah but in some games it just gets in the way of enjoying things. Snowrunner is a good example of this. Earn money by doing jobs and buy cool stuff to upgrade your truck and progress. Great! Gives things you're doing a sense of purpose. But Snowrunner also puts that cool thing you want, and have saved up for, behind a high level unlock that means you to play it for another 30 hours. Its not an uncommon trope in that sort of game. It just turns things into a total chore.

Its the content denial thing in games that Dara O Briain covers pretty well here. Go to the 12.15 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0RhXyznq7Q

Chedney Honks

I agree, it's total dogshit, but games are so mindless for the most part that enough people will engage with those systems.

Glebe

Quote from: Spiteface on July 01, 2021, 01:02:35 PMTo start, Underwater bits.

As someone who's completely OCD about exploring/collecting everything, swimming all over a big watery area can be a bit trying. See the Soul Reaver games and more recently Jedi: Fallen Order.

Quote from: Cuellar on July 01, 2021, 02:03:12 PMRace missions

Riddler challenges in Arkham Knight, fuck me.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 02, 2021, 12:58:37 AMSlippy slidey ice worlds

Yeah, bit frustrating, again see bits of Jedi: Fallen Order.

oustropique

Locking the next section of the story behind side mission completion, either based on a currency system (Saints Row 2) or actual specific missions (Ultimate Spider-Man and, leading me to this thread, Maneater).

Quote from: mobias on July 04, 2021, 09:48:56 AM
Unnecessary level unlocks.

Maneater also has this. Abilities locked behind levels, but also currency. And you have to be in a specific kind of hub area to manage any of that.

Quote from: Spiteface on July 01, 2021, 03:00:09 PM
As much as I was into the last few Mortal Kombats, fighting games really do not need "cinematic" story modes.

I can't stand the ultra-earnest, super "grown-up" MK story modes of the last few games. 

BWARRRRRRM

Episode 1
The ties that bind

BWAAAARRRRM