Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Adam And Joe's Comedy Chat Thread

Started by TJ, July 29, 2005, 07:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Adam Buxton now has a (rather content-free) solo website - http://adam-buxton.com/ad/

Is that bit in the interview about C4 cancelling The Adam And Joe Show after series four true? If so, that's just gobsmacking... series four was the best comedy show they have put out so far this decade.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Agreed, I don't think I caught all of series one or two but I did see all of three and four and series four was one of the best comedy shows I've ever seen. The best of series four on the DVD is good, I pretty much laughed all the way through it - Quizzlestick, People Place, the Newsnight Rview parody (what's that one called again), all of them absolutely brilliant ideas done incredibly well. Thanks for the link, I'll check that out later. I shamefully didn't catch much of the XFM shows but the links people put up seemed really great and I really regret not listening to it. That clip of them reading out 'A Day in the Life of Yan Martel' was hilarious. Have they got any new shows coming up, what are they both up to when they aren't doing XFM?

Little Hoover

I'm sad they omitted 200% from series 4 and anecodote was great too, but I guess they only wanted 1 quiz show.
And the Guy Richtoy interview features one of the greatest lines ever
"for this scene I used a method I got of tarantino known as copying"

But yeah season 1 and 2 were actually quite dissapointing.
by the way when's their xfm show.

butnut

Quote from: "Little Hoover"
by the way when's their xfm show.

It was on earlier this year. They hinted it might come back in the Autumn - let's keep our fingers crossed.

DuncanC

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"the Newsnight Rview parody (what's that one called again),
"Touch me!". (No it isn't.)

I love A&J, it was great listening to Adam chat away to Stewart Lee on Resonance a while ago, I remember him doing that "scary European animator" character on a great Channel 4 animation special years ago.

Incidentally, does anyone know why they never made any reference to the fact that in the last episode of series 3 they said it was the last ever (and I seem to remember them saying it in some interviews at the time too, so it wasn't just a joke in the show) or did I just miss it?

benthalo

QuoteIs that bit in the interview about C4 cancelling The Adam And Joe Show after series four true? If so, that's just gobsmacking... series four was the best comedy show they have put out so far this decade.

Stewart Lee conducted a remarkably honest interview with Buxton on Resonance earlier this month, where Adam set out various problems he and Cornish had in failing to reinvent themselves. Buxton appears to be voicing the Gillette ad right now, as far as I can tell, but they're both stuffed if they don't dabble with that sort of thing... as he explained.

A shame, really, as I quite liked the Tokyo series but it obviously wasn't a patch on 2001's series of The A&J Show. Mind you, in response to TJ, AI Shows that Summer had the edge on it.

Little Hoover

I remember one year they were hosting glastobury (on BBC Choice) and I basically kept recording their links but not the songs, and would eagerly await a song ending.
Sorry I'm indulging in pointless nostalgia there but I wonder if anyone else did that.

The Mumbler

Wasn't S4 of The Adam & Joe Show made for E4, and then rebroadcast on C4?  I wonder if someone talked them into it.  Then again, that Animation night they hosted a few months earlier was a glaring error.

There's no question that The A&J Show improved with each series, but that's not to say the first two series weren't huge fun all the same.  I mention on a different thread the thrill of seeing the very first episode, completely unaware of what awaited me, and gasping through their version of Toytrainspotting.  I think Buxton and Cornish are the ultimate example of people who are now far too good to be on television, which is a great pity, as they understand the medium so naturally.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Didn't they make a pilot for another show after series 3 (which, according to the DVD, was more sketch-based) which didn;t work out? I thought that was why they returned to the A&J Show. It's all explained in the A&J Story.

Phil_A

It seems that initially they hadn't planned to any more A&J shows after Series 3, as they said at the time they felt they were getting too old for such silliness. They even had Baaaaadaaaaaaaad kill them off in the last episode.

But then E4 started, and they were persuaded to do a fourth series which was supposed to have a radically reworked format - although the details of what this actually was are a little hazy. Instead of the "bedroom", they were in a set built to resemble the inside of a television(the idea being that they were actually doing the show from "inside your TV"). However, as was mentioned on the DVD, initial reaction to the pilot was so poor that they decided to go back to the original bedroom set and start over.

Tom Tortoise

Quote'At the age of 36, he's nobody but a desperate commissioning editor's idea of over-the-hill'

Pretty stark words about Adam Buxton, and very surprising that they come from the homepage of his website.

I miss Adam & Joe. But I do wonder where, as a duo, they can go now. I did enjoy Go Tokyo a couple of years ago, but aside from their XFM show, they seem to have been relegated to solo cameo appearances in various little projects here and there.

A new series of the Adam & Joe show? Possibly. They're probably nearer 40 than 30 now, but that doesn't mean they're still not very, very funny. Aside from that, I would be more than happy if they were to do another 'Go...' series. A series about American culture would be an obvious example. However, this is treading old ground.

Put it this way, I would be looking forward more to a new A&J project than a new Morris penned sitcom.

Harfyyn Teuport

Isn't that quote implying that he is still young and vibrant though and that the commissioning editors are wrong about it?

I would love another shot at Go Tokyo. It wasn't as funny as their other stuf but it was really interesting. And it did have some inspired moments aided by the BBC's hefty budget, Joe's low cut bottom-revealing tuxedo at the Matrix premier and their performance as Gaijinn Invasion were both great.

RedboX

Quote from: "TJ"Adam Buxton now has a (rather content-free) solo website - http://adam-buxton.com/ad/

hmm I'm still getting the uk123 holding page, uk123 do sometimes drag thier heels but....

Tom Tortoise

Quote from: "Harfyyn Teuport"Isn't that quote implying that he is still young and vibrant though and that the commissioning editors are wrong about it?

Perhaps. Might be the way I'm reading it. But even so, A&J are hardly the young upstarts in their mid-twenties making homemade comedy shows any more. In fact, I was quite surprised to learn how old they were, a pretty similar age to our ol' pal Chis Morris (who I thought was now a very, very old man).

I dunno, it's difficult to know what direction would be best for them right now. I do think another crack at a 'Go Tokyo' style show would be excellent though, or a documentary-style series of their travels to wherever. It really is a shame not having them on the TV at the moment.

Edit/additional - what are the chances of seeing Go Tokyo on DVD? Pretty slim?

Harfyyn Teuport

I'd say it wouldn't happen. Unless as an extra grafted on to something else they may do for the BBC in the foreseeable future.

Did the Tokyo shows ever pop up on UKNova does anyone know?

TJ

Quote from: "Harfyyn Teuport"I'd say it wouldn't happen. Unless as an extra grafted on to something else they may do for the BBC in the foreseeable future.

Did the Tokyo shows ever pop up on UKNova does anyone know?

Yes - it's been bumped several times in fact.

Pepotamo1985

The Adam & Joe Show is my favourite comedy show of all time. Each series has something different to offer, and each is unique - and the sheer effort and enthusiasm present in each show is quite breathtaking.

The Adam & Joe DVD may well be the greatest DVD ever. Fact.