Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Missing notes (musical Mandela effect)

Started by Norton Canes, July 02, 2021, 10:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

On hearing Ashes To Ashes for the first time in a while on the radio the other day - the main 'plinky' melody, there are a couple of pairs of notes, then the rising trill of three notes... No! There are four notes! I know there are! Da-da-da-da! There have always been four notes! What have they done with the last note?

Then, watching Happy Mondays perform Loose Fit on TOTP last week - the nine-note guitar melody... No! There are ten notes! It ends with one more lower note! It's always ended with one more lower note! Why have they suddenly taken out the last note?

Or... why am I imagining these extra notes?

Re Ashes to Ashes: Maybe because there's quite a big jump between the first and second note of the rising figure, shown here in bar 3 on the top line as a jump between E and A,  then only a small step from A to B between the second and third note, which makes it sound like a scale, so your brain was filling in an extra note in the scale between the first and second note.

shagatha crustie

In 'Ashes to Ashes,' on the recording there *is* a note in that spot, but the bass that plays it rather than the plinky plonks - maybe that's why? Rhythmically, all four notes are represented.

willbo

The riff to Metallica's Enter Sandman always sounds more complex than I remember. I always just think it's just 2 E powerchords then the octave/tritone bit, but the first notes always sound more widdly than I can get a grip on. I guess I could study the tab

famethrowa

I haven't heard Hocus Pocus by Focus for about 25 years, but the main part of it I remembered was that the yodelling thing happened, then the guitar and band came back in, playing exactly the same melody and chords as the vocal yodel part. But hearing the song now, that never happens. The guitar sort of plays the yodel line once, but the opening riff is underneath and not the organ chords. Top tune though

Cuellar

I was listening to that loads just yesterday as well! Watching Raducanu playing tennis reminded of Machadaynu from Look Around You, and watching that sketch again the bit where Kevin Eldon does a high pitched scream reminded me of Hocus Pocus.

idunnosomename

Quote from: willbo on July 05, 2021, 02:38:50 PM
The riff to Metallica's Enter Sandman always sounds more complex than I remember. I always just think it's just 2 E powerchords then the octave/tritone bit, but the first notes always sound more widdly than I can get a grip on. I guess I could study the tab
it's one of those simple riffs that's difficult to play right. There's a bit of a slide before the octaved E.