Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:13:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Space (as in the band from Liverpool who did Female of the Species)

Started by Kankurette, July 02, 2021, 01:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Yes they were, I just used a K instead of a C because I'm an idiot.

(do really quite like their song Criminals though!)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Kankurette on July 02, 2021, 10:33:31 PM
OK, Lisa, so what bands would you prefer I liked then?

Linoleum ( SP?)
Posh
Octopus
Shrimp Tractor
Delicate Vomit
Magoo
Bedhead
Swirlies

All the greats.

Kankurette

I only really know Linoleum out of all of them. On A Tuesday. Posh, Magoo and Octopus, I know OF. I couldn't name any of their songs. I'll listen to them when I feel up to it I'm not in the mood right now.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Kankurette on July 02, 2021, 10:40:13 PM
I'm so fucking sick of feeling I have to change myself to fit in. Be something I'm not. And that I still CARE about this stupid shit.

Well, don't :)

Mr Gruts

Did the disc artwork printing for the Spiders CD, it became the most returned CD ever due to people with spider phobias not being able to take it out of it's case.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 02, 2021, 10:04:20 PM
ABC's 'The Lexicon Of Love' is a load of insipid old shite an'all. Fucking Hell, is someone going to stick up for Kid Creole and the Coconuts next?

I will. Mainly because I won an autographed copy of their Tropical Gangsters LP, which I received on returning home with very dark thoughts in my head after taking my maths o-level. So they probably saved my life.

And playing the connection game, I went to see them a few weeks later and accidentally kicked Martin Fry while swinging my legs off a ledge I was sitting on.

Incidentally, Groop Dogdrill were fantastic.

chveik

Quote from: Kankurette on July 02, 2021, 10:15:09 PM
Nobody's saying you have to like them, JFC. So what if someone does like Kid Creole and the Coconuts? Or ABC? Do people on CaB have to pass some kind of test before we're allowed to talk about what music we like?

it's not personal, there's just a childish pleasure in saying that X band sucks. as long as you don't start new threads about the beatles, you'll' be fine. (i mean you've had already more replies than most of my music threads combined)

DrGreggles

I saw ABC doing 'The Lexicon Of Love' live with a full orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall about 10 years ago.
It was fantastic, and I don't care how uncool this makes me.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Kankurette on July 02, 2021, 10:23:32 PM
my brother gave me endless shit over it as a teen and constantly made me feel like an inferior being for not being into Fugazi or Groop Dogdrill or Pantera

On this basis I expect we'd all be inferior for not enjoying such a weird combo. 

QuoteI don't know enough about the JAMC, who I know I SHOULD like, to have an informed opinion on them.

Nah fuck that, the music is real try hard rubbish. All they had going for them is the mention of a riot, lately referred to as a 'riot'.

I was severely disappointed when hearing them after the 20+ years hype. May have been important to the area they came from but the hype should have been local too

Kankurette

Quote from: Mr Gruts on July 02, 2021, 10:47:07 PM
Did the disc artwork printing for the Spiders CD, it became the most returned CD ever due to people with spider phobias not being able to take it out of it's case.
Apparently that was the point, they wanted to test their arachnophobic fans. I know a few myself.

Sorry everyone. Not been a good day.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 02, 2021, 09:59:10 PM
I quite like those Melody Maker criticisms of Space, especially the Alan Partridge one. We don't have to pretend to like " Loaded" magazine, Chris Evans or Mark E. Smith Lookalike even in those days type Zoe Ball anymore, so why should we give even a seconds thought towards critical re -evaluationof  those lucky enough to be Two- And-A-Half As Opposed To One  Hit  Wonders Scouse Gits? Bad luck on not getting your ridiculously titled third album officially released at the time, like, las. Well done on just about managing to scrape a living from your rinky- dink novelty tunes nowadays, fair play to yers. Ever considered covering " Lily The Pink" ?

Couldn't you just, for once, try to keep a fucking lid on it? Do you really think everyone is that desperate to hear your boorish pub wanker opinions on Space, or anything else for that matter?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

No, I don't. I * do* think Space are crap, though. If I'd have said Space are ace, got a lovely jaunty indie version of " The Innes Book Of Records"  vibe about 'em, would that be a boorish pub wanker opinion? Please be more tolerant of people who don't have the same opinions as yerself.

Small Man Big Horse

I only ever heard the first album but I've a lot of time for Space, possibly as they were the first band I went to see when I went to university and my housemates and I had a fantastic time at the gig, and just putting on "Me and You Vs The World" takes me back to those days and makes me nostalgic. Sure they weren't the best band in the world but they were really fun (what I've heard of them, at least) and for that reason alone I'll always be really fond of them.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 02, 2021, 11:10:33 PM
I saw ABC doing 'The Lexicon Of Love' live with a full orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall about 10 years ago.
It was fantastic, and I don't care how uncool this makes me.

Martin Fry and his backing band. I know for a fact that none of the other original members of ABC have a particularly high opinion of him, especially since when they changed from Vice Versa and put him forward to the media as the creative genius it was a deliberate move that backfired because of course people then thought he was the creative genius.

Talented bloke obviously but while the lyrics of the LOL are his work the music certainly isn't. Still, the others can sleep tight on the continuing royalties.

Incidentally, I can't remember ABC being thought of as uncool, apart from with Weller fanatics who strangely enough, despite being 'individuals' just happened to agree with all his tastes. Maybe this is just a Sheffield thing though. The very mention of them may have been met with sneery laughter in the rest of the country

DrGreggles

I think Fry is still officially in ABC these days (possibly just him), so it's not as if he was giving it some David van Day.

madhair60

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 02, 2021, 10:38:35 PM
Linoleum ( SP?)
Posh
Octopus
Shrimp Tractor
Delicate Vomit
Magoo
Bedhead
Swirlies

All the greats.

Coati Mundi has just faxed me to tell you you're a 'Bull & Gate indie bedwetter '

jobotic

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 03, 2021, 10:35:23 AM
No, I don't. I * do* think Space are crap, though. If I'd have said Space are ace, got a lovely jaunty indie version of " The Innes Book Of Records"  vibe about 'em, would that be a boorish pub wanker opinion? Please be more tolerant of people who don't have the same opinions as yerself.

I made a snide comment on the thread they were first mentioned in but its a bit cunty to come into a thread for enthusiasts to tell them how shit they are.

Still I was wondering how you rate Zoe Ball's looks so thanks for that.

Brundle-Fly

I discovered them through the Neigbourhood single. They reminded me a bit of Pookiesnakenburger or Death Bang Party and their ilk. It's evocative of a quirky early 1980s pop record. Ah, the 'q' word. That's why the music press hated them, a big no-no. 

Listening to Neighbourhood now, it sounds like Tommy is affecting a funny foreign accent. Not sure how that would go down today.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 03, 2021, 11:46:56 AM
Listening to Neighbourhood now, it sounds like Tommy is affecting a funny foreign accent. Not sure how that would go down today.

Anti-Scouse racism!

#cancelled

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Right, I didn't want to have to do this, but....

....I will confess that I have a soft spot for " You And Me Against The World", genuinely good little toe- tapper that, but, if I may extend mine completely brilliant and apt comparison to Neil Innes, those lyrics ( in common with the lyrics to most Space songs I've heard) are grating in much the same way as the lyrics to top Innes composition " The Knicker Elastic King " are. " Neigbourhood" 's another decent song come to think of it, and it doesn't even bother me when yer man lapses into that Speedy Gonzales voice. To be fair, when it comes to not very good groups from the 90s, Space are nowhere near the league of , say, Kula Shaker. I also gave Kankurette a couple of pms to tell her not to take my comments too seriously, as I could see she was getting a bit worked up.

Zoe Ball deserves her place amongst Richard Madeley ( Spruced Up Late 80s version) ( of MES, not Richard Madeley),  John Bird having let himself go and that actress who played Karen Grant on " Brookside" as a top Mark E. Smith Lookalike, I stand by that.

Brundle-Fly

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Heavy Salad, of course, are another of those quirky 90s  indie bands what reformed a couple of years ago, and amended their name slightly, in refreshingly honest acknowledgement of middle age spread and accompanying widening girth. None of them look like Mark E. Smith, although the main bloke used to look like Karl " Brush Strokes" Howman, and the lady singer still retains her indie glamour while slightly resembling the now dead actress Katherine Helmond.

madhair60

imagine actually thinking this is bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfph3043yZU

FUCK OFF YOU SACK OF SHIT. YOU ARE NOTHING. Sorry, this is a bit harsh. Each to their own I know. Sorry. Sorry. I'm sorry. FUCK OFF THOUGH. PRICK. Again; sorry

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Remember that Kenny Everett sketch that parodied that iconic line from this song? Well, do you? Eh?

Custard

You do come across as a bit of a twat in this thread, Mr Marychain

dr beat

Quote from: Kankurette on July 02, 2021, 07:56:21 PM
Aww! First time I met them was at a special gig for fans in 2002, just after Jamie had left. A few of the songs from that gig ended up on Suburban Rock 'n' Roll and others were B-sides.I remember that. Didn't they get into trouble because one of the band was smoking weed?

That would be something, given the Vikings performances that season.

dr beat

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 03, 2021, 12:55:25 PM
You do come across as a bit of a twat in this thread, Mr Marychain

LJAMC you're St Helens aren't you? ;)

I do like a Clock Face crisp

anxiousmofo

I hate them because someone once said I looked like the "Space man", which I took to mean Jas Mann - this was at the time the puff pastry hangman was in the number one spot with Babylon Zoo. Gotta say it felt good to be likened to the pretty boy biff-boff, kinda  sultry. But nah, they meant rat boy.

Gutted.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 03, 2021, 11:46:56 AM

I think he's trying to do a Loyd Grossman accent