Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:49:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Space (as in the band from Liverpool who did Female of the Species)

Started by Kankurette, July 02, 2021, 01:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

no he's doing a Sting-lite 'Jamaican' thing to fit with the reggae-lite 'music'

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" cunty", " twat" and " crisp". Buck up your banter, CaB folk.

Kankurette

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 03, 2021, 11:46:56 AM
I discovered them through the Neigbourhood single. They reminded me a bit of Pookiesnakenburger or Death Bang Party and their ilk. It's evocative of a quirky early 1980s pop record. Ah, the 'q' word. That's why the music press hated them, a big no-no. 

Listening to Neighbourhood now, it sounds like Tommy is affecting a funny foreign accent. Not sure how that would go down today.
I think he was pretending to be Speedy Gonzales.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Kankurette on July 03, 2021, 06:24:51 PM
I think he was pretending to be Speedy Gonzales.

The music does have a Latin feel, but I like to imagine that it's Peter Lorre on vox.

Kankurette

Something I was talking about a couple of days ago when I met up with friends for the first time in forever: Space did a recent gig in Liverpool, St George's Hall (no, I didn't go, I'd forgotten it was on), and Tommy got into trouble with security for hi-fiving the front row, and people kept getting told off by security for walking up to the stage. Apparently the gig was cut early as well. I'm surprised it was allowed to go ahead.

Johnboy

Saw them in Dublin in 1996 - good gig, liked them.

Wasn't mad though about Tommy inclination to communicate with the front row with his hands and eyes/eyebrows while singing the song, was that a thing with him or am I just remembering one incident I saw on telly?

Kankurette

Tommy always does that, he shakes hands with the front row or walks into the audience during Female.

willbo

I went on a church weekend away with my best friend when "Spiders" had just come out, he had the tape and he played it all week when we were in the house the retreat was in (we had the lounge/pool table/stereo to ourselves pretty much as there weren't many other young people there). I had just gotton into nu/US metal and was excited about Korn and Rob Zombie, so I didn't really get into it with him. I regret that now...I wish I'd shown more enthusiasm and rocked out to the songs a bit more with him, or paid more attention when he showed me the funny lyrics. I was just really excited about modern metal, I'd never heard anything so heavy before. I actually have good memories of how quirky and fun the Space album sounded.

Hat FM

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 02, 2021, 10:38:35 PM
Linoleum ( SP?)
Posh
Octopus
Shrimp Tractor
Delicate Vomit
Magoo
Bedhead
Swirlies

All the greats.

not sure if this is a joke list of bands but if not, i knew someone who was in bedhead.

Chriddof

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on July 03, 2021, 12:09:37 AM
Nah fuck that, [JAMC] is real try hard rubbish

I think that Upside Down is a brilliant single - but outside of that there's not much to them. I think I felt similar to you when I heard Psychocandy for the first time in around 1996, only I did at least like Never Understand on that one (which is basically a pointless retread of Upside Down, which I hadn't heard yet) and also Some Candy Talking. And Head On ended up being a great Pixies song.

Quote from: Jockice on July 03, 2021, 10:55:13 AM
Martin Fry and his backing band. I know for a fact that none of the other original members of ABC have a particularly high opinion of him, especially since when they changed from Vice Versa

Their song "Riot Squad" is absolutely incredible. I only discovered it a couple of years ago, due to being a baby in 1979:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLeBu2N6s6A

Johnboy

Quote from: Kankurette on July 02, 2021, 10:23:32 PM
I have a bit of a complex about my music taste because my brother gave me endless shit over it as a teen and constantly made me feel like an inferior being for not being into Fugazi or Groop Dogdrill or Pantera or whatever, although he also hated it when I DID like the same stuff as him, ie the Manics. Even on here I get self-conscious about admitting to liking certain things, except Sleater-Kinney because they have a decent amount of cred.

Yes I know, dark comedy forum, stop being such a fucking snowflake. I get thinking Space are shit, loads of people did and still do, but I'm not some kind of fucking retard for liking them. I don't know enough about the JAMC, who I know I SHOULD like, to have an informed opinion on them.

Other bands I like, if anyone's interested: Tori Amos, the Manics, Sleater-Kinney, Janelle Monae, the Beatles (sorry), Blur, Regina Spektor, Kate Bush, System of a Down, Catatonia, Emilie Autumn, Radiohead, Hole, Jack Off Jill, and I've been getting into beabadoobee a bit lately as well.

This is unacceptable.

Kankurette

I thought using ableist slurs on here was OK? I've seen other people use 'mong' and 's*****c'.

chveik

Kankurette

Spiteface

Quote from: Chriddof on July 05, 2021, 03:01:01 PM
I think that Upside Down is a brilliant single - but outside of that there's not much to them. I think I felt similar to you when I heard Psychocandy for the first time in around 1996, only I did at least like Never Understand on that one (which is basically a pointless retread of Upside Down, which I hadn't heard yet) and also Some Candy Talking. And Head On ended up being a great Pixies song.

I was gonna say it's shit but then I remembered David Hasselhoff's cover exists.

JAMC were/are awesome and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

jobotic

They were awesome then, then they got progressively worse.

chveik

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Hat FM on July 05, 2021, 02:38:10 PM
not sure if this is a joke list of bands but if not, i knew someone who was in bedhead.

Was it the girl who was on " Blockbusters" once?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Actually, that was Sofa Head, and the band name I meant to type in in the first place, not them types from Texas.As you were.

Goldentony

just keep typing more shit bands nobody likes, I was enjoying it

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

This has only just occured to me, but does anyone else think that Tommy from Space in his prime looked like a bewigged Simon Day? Think of him ( SD not TFS) doing the presenting bit in that " Indie Club" sketch from that " Fast Show" programme.

the science eel

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 06, 2021, 07:06:11 AM
This has only just occured to me, but does anyone else think that Tommy from Space in his prime looked like a bewigged Simon Day? Think of him ( SD not TFS) doing the presenting bit in that " Indie Club" sketch from that " Fast Show" programme.

Yes, definitely!

Were The Farm worse than Space? It's a tough one

Kankurette

Tommy looks like a midget Gary Oldman these days.

Speaking of Scouse indie bands, Cast. I'm still undecided. I like some of their stuff but it does get very samey.

sutin

Space were silly, likeable and good fun. They weren't great but they were a good band to have around in those days, when you consider the po-facedness they were surrounded with.

The Culture Bunker

Yeah, I said earlier they weren't my thing, but I did think 'Avenging Angels' was a nice bit of pop fluff (I say that as a compliment). The Tom Jones song came very close to wiping out any goodwill I had towards them, though.

Cast I always found incredibly boring - I blame them for paving the way for guitar-bothering dullards like Travis.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Kankurette on July 06, 2021, 02:35:46 PM
Tommy looks like a midget Gary Oldman these days.

Speaking of Scouse indie bands, Cast. I'm still undecided. I like some of their stuff but it does get very samey.

Do you think they're alright, do you think they're alright?

Goldentony

cast are without merit except for that very final album where he got rid of everyone and went mad, that i've not heard but the idea of it is fine with me