Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music in films, that isn't made for the film, but makes you think of the film.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, July 02, 2021, 09:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Had the radio on earlier and heard The First Edition - Just Dropped In (to see what Condition my Condition was in) and realised I can't really separate that song from the Big Lebowski any more. There must be others, where the song was well established and not designed for the film but it reminds you of it.

I think The Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter #23 and Jackie Brown might be another one - maybe The Delphonics is more obvious in that one, but it feels a little too prominent to make the bil.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Lungpuddle

Dry the Rain and High Fidelity is probably too obvious, but how about Blister in the Sun and Grosse Pointe Blank? The latter has a vastly superior soundtrack, now that I think about it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lungpuddle on July 02, 2021, 10:44:06 PM
Dry the Rain and High Fidelity is probably too obvious, but how about Blister in the Sun and Grosse Pointe Blank? The latter has a vastly superior soundtrack, now that I think about it.

High Fidelity put me on to The Beta Band, which I'll leave up to the reader to decide whether that was an ultimately positive thing.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 02, 2021, 10:47:07 PM
High Fidelity put me on to The Beta Band, which I'll leave up to the reader to decide whether that was an ultimately positive thing.

It also pretty much directly led to iCarly via School of Rock. Swings and roundabouts.

An tSaoi

Misirlou and Pulp Fiction is an obvious one. In fact, you could list almost any Tarantino film multiple times.

Cheating a bit, but O Fortuna and The Omen, even though it's not used in the film at all. Where does that confusion come from anyway? Only Fools and Horses?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lungpuddle on July 02, 2021, 10:50:54 PM
It also pretty much directly led to iCarly via School of Rock. Swings and roundabouts.

Thought I was going to see The Beta Band but because I misread the flyer it turned out it was just a dj set from one of them.

Place had a Morrocan booth type set-up, and at one point in the evening I turned to look at a pal and ended up stubbing the side of my grade 1 bonce on his cig. The more I think about it, the more I should be annoyed with them really.

Bad Ambassador

Deliciousbass

Heaven 17's Temptation always makes me think of the nightlcub scene in Trainspotting - for some reason moreso than other songs in that film. I can listen to Perfect Day and Lust for Life without the association, but Temptation always puts me in mind of a heroin-withdrawn induced horniness.

If Tv counts too - can't hear don't stop believing without a sense of churning dread thanks to Sopranos.

Fr.Bigley

Pixies. Fight club.
Simple minds. Breakfast club.
Huey Lewis. BTTF.
Black lace. Shindlers list.

Sebastian Cobb

On the Sopranos tip, in the unlikely event I happen to hear the Chi-Lites, I will definitely think of this moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMw7b4ltJtk

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 03, 2021, 12:19:21 AM
Simple minds. Breakfast club.
Huey Lewis. BTTF.
Those songs were written for the films. Huey Lewis and American Psycho on the other hand...

non capisco

You try telling me you don't hear someone putting 'The Lookout Is Out' by Cook Da Books on the jukebox without immediately thinking of the animated straight to VHS adaptation of 'Asterix In Britain'.

Fr.Bigley

phantom_power

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 02, 2021, 11:41:12 PM
Starálfur by Sigur Rós from The Life Aquatic.

With me it is The Way I Feel Inside for that film

And for Grosse Point Blank it is Blank Expression by The Specials (You cyant come in)

And Big Lebowski is The Man in Me by Bob Dylan

Needle in the Hay by Elliott Smith reminds me of that scene in The Royal Tenenbaums

kalowski

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 02, 2021, 11:01:30 PM
Thought I was going to see The Beta Band but because I misread the flyer it turned out it was just a dj set from one of them.

Place had a Morrocan booth type set-up, and at one point in the evening I turned to look at a pal and ended up stubbing the side of my grade 1 bonce on his cig. The more I think about it, the more I should be annoyed with them really.

In 1994, I once schlepped all the way to London from Sussex expecting to see Ultramarine live on stage (with me also naively presumptuously thinking Robert Wyatt would be guesting).  Got in the venue at 7:30. It was just a club night with one member of the duo doing a DJ set who came on at 10:30. I listened to him play some anonymous club tracks for fifteen minutes and then had to leave early to get the last train home. The whole evening cost me around £50. I was fuming.

Brundle-Fly

The whistling melody has now become synonymous with the Kill Bill movies but it was half-inched from Twisted Nerve (1969). Bernard Hermann had specifically written that as the theme tune for the psychotic 'Georgie' not these bozos. Get your own unnerving musical motif, Tarantino. It's one thing appropriating old pop records but using cues from other people's film scores? It should be illegal. I'm looking at you American Horror Story too.

Endicott

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 02, 2021, 09:41:22 PM
I think The Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter #23 and Jackie Brown might be another one - maybe The Delphonics is more obvious in that one, but it feels a little too prominent to make the bil.

Delphonics for me, Clive.

The Spinners Rubberband Man -> Infinity War.

Helvetica Scenario

The piano coda from Layla always makes my mind replay the everything's-gone-tits-up montage in Goodfellows.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Helvetica Scenario on July 03, 2021, 11:38:52 AM
The piano coda from Layla always makes my mind replay the everything's-gone-tits-up montage in Goodfellows.

Also, 'Atlantis' by Donovan when they are knocking the shit out of Billy Batts.

Fr.Bigley

Everything jefferson airplane, ccr, Jackson brown and Fleetwood mac...Forest Gump.

jobotic

Every time I hear Dancing Queen I want to shout "Goodbye Porpoise Spit!"

phantom_power

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 03, 2021, 11:48:30 AM
Also, 'Atlantis' by Donovan when they are knocking the shit out of Billy Batts.

And Monkey Man and Jump Into The Fire when he is all para looking for the police helicopters

That song they all dance to in Boogie Nights. Is it Machine Gun by The Commodores?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Endicott on July 03, 2021, 11:33:03 AMThe Spinners Rubberband Man -> Infinity War.

Similarly, 'Come and Get Your Love' for 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

Dusty Substance

Stuck In The Middle With You.

"Joe Egan and Gerry Rafferty were a duo known as Stealer's Wheel
When they recorded this Dylanesque, pop, bubble-gum favorite from April of 1974.
That reached up to number five, as K-Billy's Super Sounds of the Seventies continues."

Many years ago, I was at a party where most of the men were in attendance were wearing Reservoir Dogs chic (black suit, white shirt, black tie, sunglasses). It wasn't a film themed party or anything, just a dress smart party and almost all the blokes turned up looking identical. Anyway, Stuck In The Middle With You comes on and I, showing off of course, decided to recreate the iconic scene from the film. I made the host of the party sit down in a chair as I danced around before pretending to cut his ear off with an plastic knife. I then squeezed ketchup, as a blood substitute, all over his ear and dribbled some down onto his shirt and jacket. Everyone laughed.

Cut forward a few days later and I was hanging out with the party host and he asked what that thing with the ketchup was all about. He'd never seen Reservoir Dogs.

samadriel

The Village Green Preservation Society in Hot Fuzz. Perfect fit.

Born to Be Wild and Easy Rider

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 03, 2021, 01:27:52 PM
Similarly, 'Come and Get Your Love' for 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.
It seemed a bit odd for it to also be used on the opening titles of that Bill Burr cartoon after that.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 03, 2021, 01:38:33 PM
Many years ago, I was at a party where most of the men were in attendance were wearing Reservoir Dogs chic (black suit, white shirt, black tie, sunglasses)
Sweeeeeeeeeet Gene Vincent.

Blumf

Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son => Every Vietnam war film and TV program ever