Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:34:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music in films, that isn't made for the film, but makes you think of the film.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, July 02, 2021, 09:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An tSaoi

When I hear Singing in the Rain, I think of A Clockwork Orange before I think of the actual Singing in the Rain film. I suppose it's because I've seen the former many more times than the latter.

mothman

Quote from: BRen on July 05, 2021, 03:11:49 PM
Kavinsky - Nightcall and College & Electric Youth - A Real Hero are inextricably linked to Drive and always will be for me.

HUG!!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Helvetica Scenario on July 03, 2021, 11:38:52 AM
The piano coda from Layla always makes my mind replay the everything's-gone-tits-up montage in Goodfellows.

I experienced a real hat-fucked moment when I first heard the full version of Layla in the late '90s. I knew the song, obviously, it's a Classic Rock staple, but I'd only ever heard the radio edit, which fades out before the piano coda.

I'd hitherto assumed that it was an elegiac piece of music specifically scored for that scene in Goodfellas. Which is a stupid assumption, as the entire Goodfellas soundtrack consists of music taken from Scorsese's record collection. I was aware of that, but still I thought "Oh, he's hired Hans Zimmer or whoever to score that bit." 

I'm an idiot.

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 03, 2021, 11:48:30 AM
Also, 'Atlantis' by Donovan when they are knocking the shit out of Billy Batts.

Donovan has form in this regard. Hurdy Gurdy Man always makes me think of the opening scene from Zodiac, and I can't disassociate Season of the Witch from the To Die For closing credits.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 03, 2021, 02:46:45 PM
Beastie Boys - Sabotage has "non specific war montage" all over it as well.

As does For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield.

The Times They Are a-Changin' by Bob Dylan sounds, in theory, like an incredibly hokey and obvious choice of song to play over the Watchmen opening montage, but it works perfectly. The only other Zack Snyder film I've seen, his remake of Dawn of the Dead, also gets off to a great start - scenes of escalating zombie carnage scored to This Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash.

That's all I can remember about either of those films, which leads me to assume that Zack Snyder is, if nothing else, really good at assembling opening credit sequences.

Quote from: phantom_power on July 05, 2021, 03:19:06 PM
Hurdy Gurdy Man is used to chilling effect in Zodiac

Oops, sorry, phantom_power, should've read through the thread before posting.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 06, 2021, 02:25:49 AM
As does For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield.

The Times They Are a-Changin' by Bob Dylan sounds, in theory, like an incredibly hokey and obvious choice of song to play over the Watchmen opening montage, but it works perfectly. The only other Zack Snyder film I've seen, his remake of Dawn of the Dead, also gets off to a great start - scenes of escalating zombie carnage scored to This Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash.

That's all I can remember about either of those films, which leads me to assume that Zack Snyder is, if nothing else, really good at assembling opening credit sequences.

Magic Carpet Ride is another one I think. Although I mostly think of that otherwise unmemorable film with Penelope Cruz where they find a plane in the desert, thanks to Channel 4 using that bit to heavily promote it when they premiered it.

beanheadmcginty

Long Tall Sally by Little Richard will forever make me immediately think of chewing tobacco and goddamn sexual tyrannosauruses.

famethrowa

Abba's I Do I Do, thinking of Muriel at her wedding as the song blasts through the church and she comes down the aisle grinning like a loon.

Also here's a strange one, You're The Voice by John Farnham, I've heard it constantly since the 80's, and have only seen Alpha Papa once, but now I think of Alan blasting through the streets of Norwich in a motorhome when I hear it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: famethrowa on July 15, 2021, 03:31:11 PM
Also here's a strange one, You're The Voice by John Farnham, I've heard it constantly since the 80's, and have only seen Alpha Papa once, but now I think of Alan blasting through the streets of Norwich in a motorhome when I hear it.
Clearly, you've never watched Hot Rod. www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVjgY427qW8

famethrowa

Petey Pate

greenman

Relax in Body Double by effectiveness coming a Frankie video inside the film.

Sebastian Cobb

Body Double is a great film. And The Chemosphere is a great building.

Dex Sawash

mothman

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 05, 2021, 03:20:38 AM
I've seen the last few minutes of Cruel Intentions a few times on TV, Bittersweet Symphony makes me think of that shitty movie.

A truly terrible film. It put me off watching teen movies for a very long time and missed out on actual good teen films like Mean Girls and Election as a result, until catching up with them years later.

dissolute ocelot

Speaking of teen movies, Cruel To Be Kind and 10 Things I Hate About You (they use an anonymous but fairly faithful Letters To Cleo cover rather than Nick Lowe).

Bowie's Heroes/Helden has been in a million films but whatever heroic thing the filmmakers are going for, I always remember the dinginess of Chris Petit's Radio On with it playing incredibly loud, thanks to watching it a very large number of times at a certain point in my life (and often stopping before the end).

Leonard Cohen's Everybody Hurts from Pump Up The Volume (as well as being used at length for a montage, it also featured prominently in the trailer). A lot of its other songs, like Wave of Mutilation, have featured in so many other films that any connection is diluted, but while you wouldn't expect to link Cohen's elegant voice with Christian Slater masturbating, it fits.

And I assume someone has already mentioned it, but Roy Orbison is linked to Blue Velvet even beyond In Dreams. Creepy at the best of times.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 19, 2021, 02:36:52 PM
Speaking of teen movies, Cruel To Be Kind and 10 Things I Hate About You (they use an anonymous but fairly faithful Letters To Cleo cover rather than Nick Lowe).

Yeah that's a good one. Not a patch on the original but a good nod and works well with the film.