Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

In this thread we post Garage bangers

Started by Sebastian Cobb, July 02, 2021, 11:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

I'm not sure which sub genre of garage this would be  - one friend would often segue his hip-hop sets into a kind of garage that had really pleasing, rolling bass. Deeper and more fluid than speed garage and two-step that I have heard. Any thoughts?

phes

Harry Badger

Apologies if these have already been posted:

And in tribute to the late Annie Nightingale. This really is fucking tremendous fun, still loving this 20+ years after hearing it:

And here's The Dude administering a 4/4 and two-step fuckdown

Proactive

stranger

I always liked this one, Hi Grade (aka Brockie & Ed Solo) - The Jug

A couple more that may already have been posted

24 Hour Experience - Together

The Beloved - 1000 Years From Today (Todd Edwards remix)

stranger

Also, if anyone can ID the tune playing at 8 minutes in this DJ EZ set, I'd be eternally grateful (the one with the "Keep Coming" sample). Absolute banger, no idea what it is though!

monkfromhavana

stranger

stranger

Quote from: waste of chops on January 16, 2024, 11:42:05 AMIt's this I think?

https://www.discogs.com/release/489851-EST-Pure-Sex

Yes, that's definitely it! Thanks so much, that's been bugging me for years!

Definitely worthy of a place in this thread.

stranger

Scott Garcia - Music Takes You

Operator & Baffled - Things are Never (Dub)

gilbertharding

I remember old people in the 90s being confused about how Rhythm and Blues music wasn't The Animals or the Graham Bond Organisation, and thinking 'Cuh - wake up Grandad!' and then UK Garage happened, and I wondered what the connection with The Count Five and the Standells was.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 15, 2024, 12:03:32 AMAnd here's The Dude administering a 4/4 and two-step fuckdown

One of the things I love about UKG is just how choppy the mixing is. EZ is probably the best going and it's all perfect but it's all as subtle as a brick, fuck yer blends, might as well be flicking the line switches.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 17, 2024, 11:26:00 PMOne of the things I love about UKG is just how choppy the mixing is. EZ is probably the best going and it's all perfect but it's all as subtle as a brick, fuck yer blends, might as well be flicking the line switches.

My favourite type of mixing, in and out with the tracks quick as fuck - keeps the energy right up there. Same for old school hardcore too which is almost (unintentionally) designed for quick chops.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 17, 2024, 11:33:41 PMMy favourite type of mixing, in and out with the tracks quick as fuck - keeps the energy right up there. Same for old school hardcore too which is almost (unintentionally) designed for quick chops.

I think the style of the music was based on a lot of the DJs being ex-hip-hop DJs. they brought that type of DJing into rave, and then made tracks that mimicked their DJ style as did others. Hence why you get hardcore tracks that chop between stabs and riffs like a Dj cutting the sounds from another tune in. Blends were for the disco to house music DJs.

monkfromhavana

phes

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 17, 2024, 11:33:41 PMMy favourite type of mixing, in and out with the tracks quick as fuck - keeps the energy right up there. Same for old school hardcore too which is almost (unintentionally) designed for quick chops.

I only really got into hardcore a few years back so came to it alone and with little cultural understanding of the djing. Baffling watching how many competent DJs clunk their way through 16 gnarly bars of matching just to get to a phrase. So much easier and more impactful to concentrate on picking the right tracks and finding the best cuts

Vaguely on topic though. I mess about on tik tok for a creative outlet and it's been fun because the strict copyrighting has forced me to get creative to be able to publish 10 minute mixes (white labels, unknowns, unsigned, obscurities, computer game music etc). If anyone can recommend any decent garage/dnb YouTube channels with obscurities I'd love to have a mess about with that. Basically if nobody is making any money from it, you can probably get it past their copywriting 

stranger

Jocelyn Enriquez - A Little Bit Of Ecstasy (Booker T Vox Dub)

monkfromhavana

Quote from: phes on January 18, 2024, 12:44:05 PMI only really got into hardcore a few years back so came to it alone and with little cultural understanding of the djing. Baffling watching how many competent DJs clunk their way through 16 gnarly bars of matching just to get to a phrase.

Still prefer this than having DJs who just choose tracks with DJ friendly intros and outros and avoiding anything made in 1991 due to a lot of it being a bit wonky.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 18, 2024, 12:31:50 PM

I don't think there's anyone in house music who created their own distinct style as well as Todd Edwards did, his tracks are instantly recognizable and almost impossible to copy. As well as the amazing sampling the basslines are *chef's kiss*.

Mad the way he made them up from so many small samples that I find hard to pick out on listening without checking whosampled- kudos to the folks that did.

From the mix you posted.

The dub is pretty much a tribute to SITKOL

His mix of TJR is made up of 13 samples and that's just the ones identified so far

He did a brilliant alternate mix on that too.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 18, 2024, 01:29:07 PMStill prefer this than having DJs who just choose tracks with DJ friendly intros and outros and avoiding anything made in 1991 due to a lot of it being a bit wonky.

Or warp the 91 tracks in Ableton to take the wonk out

phes

What's this 91 thing!? Why was 91 in particular a nightmare year for shit DJs?

monkfromhavana

Quote from: phes on January 18, 2024, 04:57:27 PMWhat's this 91 thing!? Why was 91 in particular a nightmare year for shit DJs?

A lot of tracks made in 1991 weren't so well produced and often drift out of time making them harder to mix. IIRC (I'm not a DJ), the synthy intro to "Lock Up" is all over the place, which is why a lot of DJs just slam it in when the bassline drops.

Sebastian Cobb

Anyone who learned to mix around 1991 probably didn't start on 1210's so should have a bit of experience of mixing on shithouse beltdrives that naturally did what those tunes did at the best of times.

WhoMe

Ron Obvious. Pops up occasionally to release another batch of pure, distilled vibe into the universe and then is off again.

phes

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 18, 2024, 09:33:26 PMA lot of tracks made in 1991 weren't so well produced and often drift out of time making them harder to mix. IIRC (I'm not a DJ), the synthy intro to "Lock Up" is all over the place, which is why a lot of DJs just slam it in when the bassline drops.

Most of these old tracks go out during beatless phrases. Often not just the intro but during the body of the track too. Was 1991 particularly bad for this for a reason? Does it mark the last explosion in production before available tech reduced it? It certainly carried on well into the mid 1990s