Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:54:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

As of right now, Arkham Asylum style combat in games it banned.

Started by Fry, July 04, 2021, 07:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

Flashing symbol over your head, DODGE! Counter! Unlock some skills, now you can blind three enemies at a time! Woohoo!

Oops careful, here comes a big boy who doesn't stumble after a basic combo, better stun him and then do your finisher.

Ah wait, you've unlocked a new move! Well, combat is so rote you never actually need to use a 3rd skill, so you better remember to use it just to use it.

Sometimes, before a battle you can do stealth to whittle down the enemy numbers. That's the tactical strategic move. The tactical strategy being - hide in a bush, use whatever "whistle" skill you unlocked for 2 tokens after an hour to draw people closer. Then press triangle to stealth kill.

Banned. No more of any of this. Cheers.

What direction should 3rd person action games move in now, then.

Chedney Honks

I would love to play a side-scrolling brawler that had fast movement and silky chain attacks, rather than the standard crawl movement and tap * tap * tap * tap * finisher rhythm to combat.

Oohoo! I got such a telling off when I criticised the batman combat on a gaming forum ten years ago.
It's just glorified quick time events. Mind numbing.
"Oh my god, it's so slick and fluid, makes me feel like a superhero" yeah, you really feel like you've earned it, don't you? :S
Doesn't surprise me that they're still doing it.

I'll tell you what else isn't allowed any more. "souls-like" slow, clunky combat in indie games. Get it fucked off out the window. Let's keep it fast and arcadey, people! I don't want every fight lasting half a bastard hour.

The Crumb

Bring back Ninja Gaiden 2's system of deep and varied weapons combined with horrible endless projectile spam from enemies that restricts you to using a few attacks with i-frames.

Spiteface

Quote from: The Crumb on July 04, 2021, 11:11:09 AM
Bring back Ninja Gaiden 2's system of deep and varied weapons combined with horrible endless projectile spam from enemies that restricts you to using a few attacks with i-frames.

Been playing NG2 Sigma recently. I know it's far from the best NG2, but there is something insanely satisfying about the combat... when it actually lets you do cool shit without some knobhead firing a rocket launcher at you from miles away.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I like the the Arkham style fighting. If it weren't for all the violence, it would be very Zen.

The Crumb

Quote from: Spiteface on July 04, 2021, 03:17:22 PM
Been playing NG2 Sigma recently. I know it's far from the best NG2, but there is something insanely satisfying about the combat... when it actually lets you do cool shit without some knobhead firing a rocket launcher at you from miles away.

It's all the more annnoying for how good it nearly is. Tearing into a group of ninjas with the talons was such glorious carnage. Wish it could have been on PC and got modded to remove the fun ruining rocket gimps.

evilcommiedictator

I like it how the enemies line up one-by-one so you can kill them.

C_Larence

I'm sure I remember reading that at one stage in development the fighting in Arkham Asylum was more akin to a rhythm game, with the player pressing buttons in time with on screen prompts.

madhair60

do any of you utter cunts actually like a single fucking game

Kelvin

Arkham's combat is great, and massively satisfying at higher levels, once you can chain all the moves and parry's together for crazy combos. Picking the right moves for the right enemies, identifying the windows to keep a chain going.

At the start its just button bashing, but it doesn't remain that way - at least it doesn't have to.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Kelvin on July 05, 2021, 11:14:19 AM
Arkham's combat is great, and massively satisfying at higher levels, once you can chain all the moves and parry's together for crazy combos. Picking the right moves for the right enemies, identifying the windows to keep a chain going.

At the start its just button bashing, but it doesn't remain that way - at least it doesn't have to.

Agreed, there's a lot of skill involved on higher levels, especially New Game+ which chucks loads of varied enemy types together to make you really have to plan your attacks.

MojoJojo

Asylum suffered because of limited baddy types, later games mixed it up a bit. I really liked the way the gun mechanics worked, although it was a bit daft that batman couldn't just check guns out the window or something.

One thing in Batman, and in Spiderman, is you can basically just dodge forever without breaking your combo, and when you realise you're doing that it takes some of the tension out of it.

bgmnts

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 05, 2021, 11:55:38 AM
Agreed, there's a lot of skill involved on higher levels, especially New Game+ which chucks loads of varied enemy types together to make you really have to plan your attacks.

Only if you turn the indicators above their head off, otherwise it's piss easy.

I think the Shadows of games expanded on that and made it better. Even the early Assassins Creed games did a good job of it.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: bgmnts on July 05, 2021, 12:09:25 PMOnly if you turn the indicators above their head off, otherwise it's piss easy.

I believe New Game+ disables them by default

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 04, 2021, 10:18:56 AM
I would love to play a side-scrolling brawler that had fast movement and silky chain attacks, rather than the standard crawl movement and tap * tap * tap * tap * finisher rhythm to combat.

Streets of Rage 4 delivers exactly this in spades

madhair60

when the fuck did you last see a game with this combat system anyway? middle earth shadow of war in 2017?

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Swoz_MK on July 07, 2021, 04:49:46 PM
Streets of Rage 4 delivers exactly this in spades

That was actually what I had in mind. Great game, but chronically slow. Sengoku 3 has it, in fact, but it's a bit generic for a lot of the game.

Thursday

Quote from: madhair60 on July 07, 2021, 11:41:10 PM
when the fuck did you last see a game with this combat system anyway? middle earth shadow of war in 2017?

Yeah I'm really confused by this thread.

"RARGH I'm VERY ANGRY about this fun combat system that was in two game franchises years ago and then stopped"

???

Maybe Ghost of Tsushima but that's a bit of a stretch.

bgmnts

Quote from: Thursday on July 08, 2021, 12:04:45 AM

"RARGH I'm VERY ANGRY about this fun combat system that was in two game franchises years ago and then stopped"

???

I think some people play games from a few years ago for the first time now.

evilcommiedictator

Go buy either of the Hyrule Warriors games or any of the Dynasty Warriors games?

Cold Meat Platter

Assassin's creed was like this for the first few games.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Thursday on July 08, 2021, 12:04:45 AM

???

Doesn't the recent Spiderman game count?

(fake edit: 2018 is recent, fuck you time)

madhair60

This problem here is cunt not playing in hard mode which would instantly resolve all the stated complaints. User error, waste of a thread

The Crumb

The next AAA superhero game should exactly copy Morrowind's combat, down to the enemies shouting swit and n'wah repeatedly.

Fry

Quote from: madhair60 on July 08, 2021, 10:20:56 AM
This problem here is cunt not playing in hard mode which would instantly resolve all the stated complaints. User error, waste of a thread

What about hard mode isn't very hard or interesting in these games unless your skills are dog. Are your skills dog madhair?

Also loads of games still do this probably but granted I am skint so about 2 years behind.

AngryGazelle

I think that by Arkham Knight the combat system was refined to perfection for what it was trying to achieve -- make you feel powerful as Batman and have him effortlessly stomp baddies whilst still presenting challenge through a mix of enemy types.

With the counter icons off, and on higher difficulties the combat is brilliant in my opinion -- knowing how to chain moves together to keep your flow requires some skill and goes far beyond 'button mashing'. The challenge isn't in scraping through a fight with a slither of health (though that can happen too) It's in chaining your combo together to achieve the perfect free-flow score.

The combat get's far too much criticism in my opinion, it's obviously not the deepest, or the best out there but it is definitely far above average and better than most I'd argue.