Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:13:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oasis' "Stand By Me" in new Halifax ad - is Be Here Now finally getting its due?

Started by willbo, July 04, 2021, 06:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

I just the song in the new Halifax ad, does this mean those of us who enjoyed Oasis' epic third album at the time are finally rising up to give it its dues? I liked it a lot as a kid and thought it was just epic emotional rock.

purlieu

Nah, it's been a perennial for years. Only one from the album that gets remembered for most people, which is unfair as All Around the World, in all its nine-and-a-half minute ludicrous glory, is clearly the highlight.

ProvanFan

I never bothered with it because I disliked the first single so much. And never heard it in the house since my sister didn't fancy Liam anymore. I thought the rest of the singles were shite too. Never been curious to check it out either but I'll probably have to give it a skim now I'm dwelling on it.

Being 10ish at the time I suppose Oasis were my first "preferred their earlier stuff" band. Trying to think of an example from children's TV to counter this. Did the Orange Organics go to shit in later episodes? I suppose California Dreams if you count the intro song alone as their earlier stuff.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 04, 2021, 09:02:53 PM
I never bothered with it because I disliked the first single so much. And never heard it in the house since my sister didn't fancy Liam anymore. I thought the rest of the singles were shite too. Never been curious to check it out either but I'll probably have to give it a skim now I'm dwelling on it.

Being 10ish at the time I suppose Oasis were my first "preferred their earlier stuff" band. Trying to think of an example from children's TV to counter this. Did the Orange Organics go to shit in later episodes? I suppose California Dreams if you count the intro song alone as their earlier stuff.

10ish? In 1997? Fuck, I feel old now. 

Spiteface

Quote from: willbo on July 04, 2021, 06:49:41 PM
I just the song in the new Halifax ad, does this mean those of us who enjoyed Oasis' epic third album at the time are finally rising up to give it its dues? I liked it a lot as a kid and thought it was just epic emotional rock.

There's been a bit of a movement for a couple of years. Seen more people defending it lately at least.

They're also the kind of knobheads who call anything "biblical" because Liam Gallagher said it once, though.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The rest of it is dross, but there's two great Oasis songs on there, namely My Big Mouth and I Hope, I Think, I Know. Stay Young, which is one of the B sides from the D'Ya Know What I Mean single, is a bit of a banger too.

That Stand by Me bank ad has been on TV for months. I wonder if Liam actually likes Be Here Now, or if he just says he does to publicly disagree with Noel.

Tokyo van Ramming

Spiteface

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 04, 2021, 11:26:47 PM
That Stand by Me bank ad has been on TV for months. I wonder if Liam actually likes Be Here Now, or if he just says he does to publicly disagree with Noel.

Both, most likely. I think Liam's always been more favourable towards it that Noel, even while the band was still together, but the pattern with Liam is always doing shit to try and antagonise Noel, but in the next breath talk about wanting to get Oasis back together. Because the surefire way of getting back the guy you drove out of the band (which everyone seems to forget and think Noel is just being difficult) is calling him a cunt.

Noel knows that Be Here Now was where he lost it, and didn't really get it back for a good few years (I happen to think the last 2 Oasis albums - Dont Believe the Truth and Dig Out Your Soul - were pretty solid efforts and Noel's songs were still the best parts).

General opinion seems to be that Oasis shouldn't have made Be Here Now when they did. Knebworth should have been their last gigs for a while, and they should take a long break before evn thinking of a 3rd album.

It's been said the train couldn't be stopped because too many people were making too much money and not just the band members, who weren't exactly of sound mind.

Steven88

I've had the album since it came out when I was 9 years old and I still don't think i've ever listened to it all the way through.

sevendaughters

opinions I'm not alone on: Be Here Now is awful in dozens of ways and it precipitated two and a bit decades of Noel being a lazy emeritus artist
opinions I'm reasonably alone on: Songbird is their best post BHN single

greenman

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 04, 2021, 11:17:18 PM
The rest of it is dross, but there's two great Oasis songs on there, namely My Big Mouth and I Hope, I Think, I Know. Stay Young, which is one of the B sides from the D'Ya Know What I Mean single, is a bit of a banger too.

Even moreso than Whats The Story I think it suffers from relegating catchier tracks to B-sides in favour of blander "biblical" ones, Stay Young, I Got The Fever, Going Nowhere and The Fame on the album would have made it a lot more palatable.

purlieu

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 05, 2021, 12:02:41 PM
opinions I'm reasonably alone on: Songbird is their best post BHN single
Think I'm with you there. Actually, the only two songs I like on Heathen Chemistry are that and Born On a Different Cloud, which is a surprising hit rate for Liam. But yeah, Songbird is absolutely lovely.

I loved Don't Believe the Truth when it came out, partially just because it sounded so refreshingly crisp after the stodgy production and mix on the previous couple, partially because I was listening to a lot of jangly '60s psych-pop at the time so it ticked the necessary boxes. I still think it has some great moments - Turn Up the Sun, The Importance of Being Idle and Part of the Queue are up there with my favourite Oasis tracks - but as an album it really wore thin after a year or two.

checkoutgirl

Thank the lord above, finally after all these years Oasis get some recognition.

What the fuck kind of bullshit is this?

checkoutgirl

QuoteBe Here Now is a landmark album for Oasis. It was the peak of Liam and Noel Gallagher's fame, selling over half a million copies in the first week, making it the fastest selling album in UK chart history.

JamesTC

It is my favourite Oasis album. I love it. While it doesn't have as many standouts as Definitely Maybe, WTSMG or The Masterplan it is a matter of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

I think the album has always been reasonably well liked but it just also has a large backlash from being hyped up and given universal praise by the music press. The Return of the Jedi of the Oasis original trilogy of albums. Hilarious how the music press praised it just because they expected people would like it instead of actually giving their own opinion simply because they looked fools after giving WTSMG middling reviews.

I don't see why people say they shouldn't have made it or should have delayed it. The album flopped in America but did really well everywhere else. The tour was arguably the most successful they ever did too.

Noel has often seemed to blame the cocaine fuelled studio recording for how it turned out. Stories of him saying stuff like "it needs to be louder and longer" in the studio but actually when you listen to the Mustique demos that were recorded shortly after Knebworth, they are basically what they went onto record aside from Magic Pie and Be Here Now which had yet to be written. The album turned out pretty much how it was originally envisioned.

The big mistake with the album was missing off Stay Young. It could easily have been a single. I don't think Noel even wanted it on The Masterplan.

Quote from: Spiteface on July 04, 2021, 10:01:53 PM
There's been a bit of a movement for a couple of years. Seen more people defending it lately at least.

Likely due to it being rereleased in a three disc set a few years back.

Captain Z

Somewhere amongst the B-Sides and album tracks is a great tracklist for Be Here Now, but I've briefly given it some thought in the past and can't work out what it should have been. Stay Young, The Fame, and maybe I Got The Fever and My Sister Lover should be in there, and I've always had a soft spot for Flashbax. Stand By Me is a relegation candidate.

The biggest gripe for me is that they didn't hold back Acquiesce for the opening track. It literally starts with the sound of Morning Glory being dubbed over, it would have been perfect. Then fade out from that straight into the distortion of DKWIM.

daf

Quote from: JamesTC on July 05, 2021, 12:46:31 PM
Likely due to it being rereleased in a three disc set a few years back.

There's a tantalising glimpse of a better sounding album included on that set -

D'You Know What I Mean? (Noel Gallagher's 2016 Rethink)

QuoteNoel : "As the years went by I'd started to accept that the songs on Be Here Now were in fact insanely long... too long! Someone (I can't remember who) had the idea that we re-visit, re-edit the entire album for posterity's sake. We got as far as the first track before we couldn't be arsed anymore and gave up... it does sound f**king mega though!"

Without a million buzzing guitars, you can actually hear the instruments properly - drums, strings and that massive bass!

willbo

my local market record shop once had a pile of the CD for £1 in the late 90s. I was shocked because it was the first time I'd ever seen a CD on sale for that cheap, anywhere (maybe the second after Mark Owen's Green Man made it's poundland debut). I had a similar shock when poundland had the VHS of the Bond film "die another day" soon after it came out, and the blu rays of "American Hustle" soon after it's release.

Anyway I always feel guilty and alone in Oasis discussions because I like their overdriven, over-distorted noisier sound - cool people always prefer the melody stripped of the heavy guitars.

chveik

JamesTC

Quote from: daf on July 05, 2021, 01:43:15 PM
There's a tantalising glimpse of a better sounding album included on that set -

D'You Know What I Mean? (Noel Gallagher's 2016 Rethink)

Without a million buzzing guitars, you can actually hear the instruments properly - drums, strings and that massive bass!

I'm not really a big fan of this remix. The layers and layers of instruments were there for Morning Glory too. I think the murky nature of the sound is part of the appeal. It was an era when the band were loud, brash and arrogant with the music reflecting this.

There was an interesting Morning Glory remix recently using the SACD version. Some of the stuff that gets lost in the original mix of Cast No Shadow is amazing. Here is the new remix of Cast No Shadow.

Quote from: Captain Z on July 05, 2021, 01:32:47 PM
Somewhere amongst the B-Sides and album tracks is a great tracklist for Be Here Now, but I've briefly given it some thought in the past and can't work out what it should have been. Stay Young, The Fame, and maybe I Got The Fever and My Sister Lover should be in there, and I've always had a soft spot for Flashbax. Stand By Me is a relegation candidate.

The biggest gripe for me is that they didn't hold back Acquiesce for the opening track. It literally starts with the sound of Morning Glory being dubbed over, it would have been perfect. Then fade out from that straight into the distortion of DKWIM.

I'd swap out Magic Pie and Fade In-Out for The Fame and Stay Young. My Sister Lover was better when it had the original chorus (Lock all the Doors). Going Nowhere is great but doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album.

I feel like looking back, part of the success was having lots of lesser known classics in their set list. In an era when getting hold of the singles might have been more difficult and online downloads hadn't taken off, I can see songs like Acquiesce really adding to the band's appeal.

When people say they should've saved all those great B-sides for album three, they overlook that they would''ve been completely ruined by the kitchen-sink production of Be Here Now and stretched out to 6-8 minutes each.

Replies From View

STAND BY MEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAARRGGHH
DOING A POOOOOOOUUOOOOOOOOO
AND ALSO A WEEEEEEEEEYAAARRGH

repeat x 10000

that's how Oasis sing and that is an accurate transcription of that song