Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:54:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oasis' "Stand By Me" in new Halifax ad - is Be Here Now finally getting its due?

Started by willbo, July 04, 2021, 06:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on July 05, 2021, 12:46:31 PM
Likely due to it being rereleased in a three disc set a few years back.

Allowing them to fit a few more syllables into the word 'sunshine'

Kankurette

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 05, 2021, 12:02:41 PM
opinions I'm not alone on: Be Here Now is awful in dozens of ways and it precipitated two and a bit decades of Noel being a lazy emeritus artist
opinions I'm reasonably alone on: Songbird is their best post BHN single
I wonder if it would have been better if they hadn't all been coked off their tits. Admittedly I do like D'You Know What I Mean? and Stand By Me but you can tell Be Here Now was made by cokeheads.

I fucking hate Magic Pie as a song title, almost as much as I hate Flaming Pie as an album title.

Kankurette

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 04, 2021, 07:52:41 PM
That sleeve though? Pee-yew! This is an eye-opener.

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/oasis/this-is-how-much-oasis-be-here-now-cover-cost/

TBH, I thought it was going to be LOT more than that.

Todd In The Shadows did a great episode of Trainwreckords on Be Here Now (aka Cocaine: The Album) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0FumbR4AU

Replies From View

Which is better:  Oasis' Be Here Now or Menswear's Nuisance?

Tricky isn't it.  Both shite but in different ways.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 05, 2021, 08:09:27 PM
At least Menswear knew when to fuck off and call it a day.

I remember thinking they were splitting in 96, Liam had stormed offstage in New York and Noel had taken over to finish off with his underwhelming bellow. Little did I know that they had another 13 underwhelming years to go.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: daf on July 05, 2021, 01:43:15 PM
There's a tantalising glimpse of a better sounding album included on that set -

D'You Know What I Mean? (Noel Gallagher's 2016 Rethink)

Without a million buzzing guitars, you can actually hear the instruments properly - drums, strings and that massive bass!

The problem with actually hearing the guitars is that they're dogshit. Which is probably the reason why they never finished the "rethink" - you can really hear how uncreative and dull Noel is as a musician which is fine when he's bashing out Fade Away but not with the pomp of Be Here Now. The repurposing of the I Am The Walrus strings in a kind of hiphop/gfunk swagger almost works but sounds ridiculous with how leaden the beat is.

Be Here Now is a fascinating cultural artifact, but fuck me its dull. The demos kind of make a case for their being a decent power pop style record in there somewhere but there's just no humour or sweetness in any of it at all.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Kankurette on July 05, 2021, 07:34:22 PM
Was that about Tony Blair or am I imagining things?

One of the lines is very clumsily paraphrased from one of ole' Tony's speechs.

QuoteThere are but a thousand days preparing for a thousand years
Many minds to educate the people who have disappeared

QuotePointing out that at the time of the next election, there would be around 1000 days until the end of the 20th century, Blair said that Britain would have "One thousand days to prepare for one thousand years"

Apart from that, I don't think that song's about anything, in the world ever.

JamesTC

Magic Pie is named that because Noel misread Magpie while flicking through a rhyming dictionary.

purlieu

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 05, 2021, 10:04:46 PM
The problem with actually hearing the guitars is that they're dogshit. Which is probably the reason why they never finished the "rethink" - you can really hear how uncreative and dull Noel is as a musician which is fine when he's bashing out Fade Away but not with the pomp of Be Here Now.
The first time I heard the rethink was the first time I noticed the song has the same chords as Wonderwall.
Quotethere's just no humour
I dunno, I find the umpteenth key change somewhere about eight minutes into All Around the World hilarious.

SteveDave

After Noel did his "re-think" of "DYKWIM" (saves time), I did something similar for the whole of "Be Here Now" I chopped songs so they didn't go on as long as I put the hilarious scream from "Fade In/Out" in every song. The tracklist went thusly-

D'You Know What I Mean? (6:13 / 7:42)
My Big Mouth (4:56 / 5:02)
Stand By Me (5:55 / 5:55)
The Girl In The Dirty Shirt (4:51 / 5:49)
Don't Go Away (4:00 / 4:48)

Stay Young (5:04 / 5:04)
Be Here Now (4:48 / 5:13)
It's Gettin' Better (Man!!) (4:24 / 7:00)
All Around The World (8:32 / 11:30)

For a while it was on Mixcloud but it got taken down when they realised what it was.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: purlieu on July 06, 2021, 12:36:15 PM
I dunno, I find the umpteenth key change somewhere about eight minutes into All Around the World hilarious.

There was probably a time they could have turned this into a combo of "All You Need Is Love" and "Everybody's Happy Nowadays" but the self-awareness ship had sailed by 1996.

Goldentony

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 04, 2021, 09:02:53 PMBeing 10ish at the time I suppose Oasis were my first "preferred their earlier stuff" band. Trying to think of an example from children's TV to counter this. Did the Orange Organics go to shit in later episodes? I suppose California Dreams if you count the intro song alone as their earlier stuff.

yeah Orange Organics if you remember spent an entire episode trying to get everyone to vote for them in a radio contest and they lost to a novelty single where a guy sings to a bird

sevendaughters

the Marmaloid song was better and the whole episode was a great skewering of rockism vs poptimism

good times

Quote from: SteveDave on July 06, 2021, 01:18:12 PM
After Noel did his "re-think" of "DYKWIM" (saves time), I did something similar for the whole of "Be Here Now" I chopped songs so they didn't go on as long as I put the hilarious scream from "Fade In/Out" in every song. The tracklist went thusly-

D'You Know What I Mean? (6:13 / 7:42)
My Big Mouth (4:56 / 5:02)
Stand By Me (5:55 / 5:55)
The Girl In The Dirty Shirt (4:51 / 5:49)
Don't Go Away (4:00 / 4:48)

Stay Young (5:04 / 5:04)
Be Here Now (4:48 / 5:13)
It's Gettin' Better (Man!!) (4:24 / 7:00)
All Around The World (8:32 / 11:30)

For a while it was on Mixcloud but it got taken down when they realised what it was.

I've also done a version of the Be Here Now tracklist which I think we can all agree is superior to the original:

willbo

someone on another thread said they like the sound of 80s Faith no More more than the songs. That's pretty much how I feel about BHN I think.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Even the cover is shit. It's trying so hard to be rock n roll it's hilarious.

I'm surprised Noel isn't hoying that telly out of an upstairs window.

Replies From View

I'm surprised there isn't a Sgt Pepper grave in the foreground and a zebra crossing running from left to right.  It comes from a generation that fixated on "clues" in 1960s LP covers that weren't there, and it repeats them in such a dunderheaded and self-conscious manner that you're given no room for your own wonderings, interpretation or enjoyment.  Plus there's an added layer of obnoxiousness in the whole "too cool for school" vibe of its wanker band members.

Sorry:  beeeeeyaaaaayuuuunnnd members, I meant.  a-twang a-twang-twang

It's the album cover equivalent of the question mark collars in 1980s Doctor Who.  CHECK OUT THE MYSTERY

Egyptian Feast

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Replies From View on July 09, 2021, 12:18:48 PM
I'm surprised there isn't a Sgt Pepper grave in the foreground and a zebra crossing running from left to right.  It comes from a generation that fixated on "clues" in 1960s LP covers that weren't there, and it repeats them in such a dunderheaded and self-conscious manner that you're given no room for your own wonderings, interpretation or enjoyment.  Plus there's an added layer of obnoxiousness in the whole "too cool for school" vibe of its wanker band members.

Sorry:  beeeeeyaaaaayuuuunnnd members, I meant.  a-twang a-twang-twang

It's the album cover equivalent of the question mark collars in 1980s Doctor Who.  CHECK OUT THE MYSTERY

I suspect Noel to be responsible. It seems like his sort of thing. The Definitely Maybe cover is in a similar style, albeit with less props.

sevendaughters

I think it's a Brian Cannon, who Oasis had seen doing the similarly 'cluesy' covers for The Verve. He certainly did the cover for the D'you Know What I Mean? single as I was at the shoot in Wigan (where he's from).

shagatha crustie

If there was any tiny shred of respect I had for Oasis, it evaporated completely a couple of weeks ago when I watched that George Michael BBC Hardtalk interview about Iraq that was posted in another thread. The interviewer quotes Noel at him - something to the tune of 'who wants to be lectured on politics by a man who hid his true identity from the public for years?'

Defending the neoliberal establishment and being a homophobe in one headline-grabbing soundbite. Can hardly THINK of anything more rockandfoookinroooowwwlll mate. Absolute odious hypocritical cunt with his derivative lumpen music.

willbo

Quote from: shagatha crustie on July 09, 2021, 03:17:32 PM
If there was any tiny shred of respect I had for Oasis, it evaporated completely a couple of weeks ago when I watched that George Michael BBC Hardtalk interview about Iraq that was posted in another thread. The interviewer quotes Noel at him - something to the tune of 'who wants to be lectured on politics by a man who hid his true identity from the public for years?'

Defending the neoliberal establishment and being a homophobe in one headline-grabbing soundbite. Can hardly THINK of anything more rockandfoookinroooowwwlll mate. Absolute odious hypocritical cunt with his derivative lumpen music.

so you're more of a Liam fan?

badaids

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 06, 2021, 06:11:30 PM
Even the cover is shit. It's trying so hard to be rock n roll it's hilarious.

I'm surprised Noel isn't hoying that telly out of an upstairs window.

It's dreadful isn't it? Tried to cram in so many references and mysterious codified things, that mean absolutely fuck all. Because it's what they think the Beatles did.  'Oooh what does it mean?' It's one Ron or dog painting away from a Wimbledon's entry.

Replies From View

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 09, 2021, 03:10:10 PM
I think it's a Brian Cannon, who Oasis had seen doing the similarly 'cluesy' covers for The Verve. He certainly did the cover for the D'you Know What I Mean? single as I was at the shoot in Wigan (where he's from).

Why would anybody endure a photo shoot?  Were you involved in creating it somehow?

Replies From View