Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,311
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oasis' "Stand By Me" in new Halifax ad - is Be Here Now finally getting its due?

Started by willbo, July 04, 2021, 06:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 15, 2021, 06:48:19 PM
Be Here Now, at least on the longer songs, seems to be Noel's attempt at being Macca, as opposed to being Lennon. All Around The World, for example. Just listen to it, it's ridiculous. That was his Hey Jude, and he honestly thought that it would become some sort of singalong anthem. He tries to do something similar with Stand By Me, but that's shit too. His backing vocals are just annoying.

Except Don't Go Away.

Unrelated, Don't Go Away has the shittest video ever. You can't fault the other three for having the cash and good will up on show, but this one? Phew! Why does it look like something from a 1992 college rock album? Your albums called Be Here Now, lads! You're not selling 486s for Packard Bell

I've always really hated Noel's bellowing vocals.

This cover of Bowie's Heroes is a good example of why he should never sing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N202Kk1ifhI&ab_channel=OasisILove

purlieu

Quote from: daf on July 15, 2021, 07:02:52 PM
Three albums - plus 3 EP's :
And still no sign of the Amorphous Androgynous material on the bonus disc. Sigh.

JamesTC

Quote from: willbo on July 15, 2021, 05:40:34 PM
I saw yesterday that Noel's high flying birds have a new best of out. I thought they only did 2 albums!

Outside of the first album there isn't much to put on a best of. After his not so good third album, I have hardly listened to anything he has done. Black Star Dancing is pretentious bollocks IIRC. We're on Our Way Now is awful. We're Gonna Get There in the End is the best song he has done since his second album and that was just a demo so will inevitably be ruined by being overproduced like Revolution Song and In the Heat of the Moment.

The bonus CD is abject. Three fucking version of Black Star Dancing make up a quarter of the tracks.

I'm saving my money for the Knebworth gig released in a few months.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The cover art of Noel's Best Of perfectly encapsulates his lack of original ideas. In a recent interview, Noel said he was a big fan of the first Bee Gees greatest hits compilation, so he just asked the art director to emulate that.

I don't mind blatant homages when there's a bit of wit and irony behind them, but this is just "that'll do" lazy.

Plus it also arrogantly assumes that Noel's dreary solo output is as worthy of documentation as the Gibbs' early work.

Kankurette

Who's that on the right of that BeeGees best of? One for the Hidden Heroes of Music thread? Did some joker paste in a young Clive Anderson?

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 15, 2021, 09:37:25 PM
Who's that on the right of that BeeGees best of? One for the Hidden Heroes of Music thread? Did some joker paste in a young Clive Anderson?

That's Colin Petersen, who was an offical member of the Bee Gees during their nascent hit-making phase. He played drums. They also had a lead guitarist, Vince Melouney, but he'd left by the time that album was released.

There is absolutely no proof of this, but Barry presumably gored them to death with his massive lion jaws.

daf

QuoteBefore recording the first album, the group expanded to include Colin Petersen and Vince Melouney.

Colin Petersen moved to England from Australia in 1966, little knowing that the Bee Gees would soon be doing the same and they recruited him as their permanent drummer shortly afterwards – the first non-Gibb brother to become an official member of the Bee Gees. He played on the albums Bee Gees' 1st, Horizontal, Idea, Odessa and Cucumber Castle. He was an equal partner in the group from early in their period in the UK and the Gibb brothers regarded his playing as essential to their sound.

He and fellow band member Vince Melouney, who played lead guitar and had also moved to the UK from Australia, had some trouble when, in the late summer of 1967, they were threatened with deportation because of an error in the way they had secured their visas. That problem was solved only by the intervention of the group's manager, Robert Stigwood, who mounted a publicity campaign that embarrassed the government into permitting them to remain in the UK.

Here's a few cuttings featuring the elusive fourth and fifth Bee-Gees :

druss

Quote from: daf on July 05, 2021, 01:43:15 PM
There's a tantalising glimpse of a better sounding album included on that set -

D'You Know What I Mean? (Noel Gallagher's 2016 Rethink)

Without a million buzzing guitars, you can actually hear the instruments properly - drums, strings and that massive bass!
D'you Know What I Mean only works for me by embracing the absurd pomposity of it all, much like the rest of the album. Not feeling the stripped back remix, if anything I want a remix with even more cocaine.

Quote from: druss on July 15, 2021, 10:05:21 PM
D'you Know What I Mean only works for me by embracing the absurd pomposity of it all, much like the rest of the album. Not feeling the stripped back remix, if anything I want a remix with even more cocaine.

Yep. It's barely a song at all without the ludicrous gak-fuelled production. As someone mentioned earlier - apologies, this thread is flowing surprisingly thick and fast - Be Here Now would be a fantastic kitsch artefact if it was all as overblown as that. Hilarious. A sort of Class A idiot masterpiece.

But it's not, it's terribly dull.

willbo

I miss that 60s/early 70s decor on those album covers (despite me not being around then). It reminds me off stuff my Dad likes - 60s nostalgia stuff from the 90s.

phantom_power

It is like the designer has taken that Bee-Gees cover and taken out anything that might be interesting from it

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on July 15, 2021, 08:18:30 PM
I've always really hated Noel's bellowing vocals.

This cover of Bowie's Heroes is a good example of why he should never sing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N202Kk1ifhI&ab_channel=OasisILove

Bellowing. Cheers, that's the word I was looking for. He tries so hard too. Sometimes it comes off, like on Acquiesce or something.