Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:46:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roaring riffs that rattle your soul

Started by wasp_f15ting, July 04, 2021, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

Whilst browsing Youtube I had 100% by Sonic Youth come up, I remember seeing Death Valley 69 on MTV 2.0 back in the day, but never fully got into them.

On 100% there is this build up and release / crescendo at 1.59 one of the most satisfying guitar riffs I have ever heard (I assume its called a Riff)

https://youtu.be/N3gN9Up6hmc?t=114

I can't seem to find any song that replicates the feeling of this song, but am hoping you learned people can point me to other instances of such euphoria.

Video Game Fan 2000

He's a nice guy, I like him just fine...

who cares

isn't that A and E played on a distorted bass?

I dunno, try this- pixies -head on

If you want an example of a riff that I never tire of, in a similar vein- brian jonestown massacre- ashtray. Really basic but hypnotic.

chveik

Disc_4

In terms of riffs that rattle your soul and releases, the riff in Secret Chiefs 3's The Owl In Daylight does it for me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLcCaatUNZI

The release is in its heaviness, but it's not in an aggressive metal kind of way.  It's got that same life-affirming quality whilst also sounding apocalyptic. Hits the spot after a few beers.

Skip to 00:46 seconds in if the beginning bit isn't your thing, but the "heavy" riff comes in at 02:14, after the super wet trumpets.

The Mollusk

I've been listening to "Meanderthal" by Torche a lot recently, I don't think many bands I like have ever matched the sheer pound-for-pound barrage of sky scraping fucking awesome riffs on that album. Massive crushing stoner distortion mixed with majestic pop sensibilities, every tune sticks in your head and every one is a total head banger.

Does anyone know any stuff that's similar to this? Torche I've been told can be kinda hit and miss and so I've never fully invested myself in their other records. There's some belting stuff on the first album by their guitarist/vocalist's old band Floor which I also love but it's not a fully consistent piece of work, some of the tunes in the middle flounder about too much.