Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forgotten Hit Singles You Love

Started by TJ, July 30, 2005, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
It took me a little longer to appreciate 'Eight Arms To Hold You', but it's still a gem.  I've never been a great fan of the third album, 'Resolver' - Nina Gordon is sorely missed there.

dan dirty ape

I dug the title of 'Eight Arms To Hold You' and that was about it. I remember thinking at the time it was production heavy and song light compared to the first one but I might give it another go.

Ah, yeah...compared to the debut its very clean sounding, but there are a lot of great songs there - 'Awesome', 'Stoneface', 'Don't Make Me Prove It', 'The Morning Sad', 'Sound Of The Bell'... uh...actually, I love most of it.

Try listening to it with the volume cranked.

The third album I find to be it's polar opposite - the production values are similar to the debut, it's much rougher around the edges, but it's almost completely devoid of songs, with the single 'Born Entertainer' being the only thing worth of the name Veruca Salt.

Clinton Morgan

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Prefab Sprout- A Prisoner Of The Past

That was so good!

Neville Chamberlain

The Hooters - All You Zombies

I think everyone will agree that was well worth a bump.

Ray Le Otter

QuotePrefab Sprout- A Prisoner Of The Past

Blimey, forgot about that one. I'm sure that the CD single had Paddy's awful "Where The Heart Is" theme on it as an extra track.

Now "If You Don't Love Me" by ver Sprout - there's a forgotten classic. Top Steve Lipson production as well.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Ray Le Otter"Now "If You Don't Love Me" by ver Sprout - there's a forgotten classic. Top Steve Lipson production as well.

Have you heard Kylie's cover of that?

Ray Le Otter

Kylie's cover is OK, but you can't beat the original. "Life Of Surprises" & "The Sound Of Crying" were top as well, from round the same time.

Ray Le Otter

Don't Drop Bombs by Liza Minelli

Quotehalle-f**kin-lujah! For the last 16 years I have truly believed that I'm the only person on Planet Earth who loves that song!!

So that's three of us then. Her versh of "Twist In My Sobriety" was the dog's bollocks. In fact all the singles off "Results" are tremendous, even "Love Pains". PSB during their "imperial" phase.

Duffy

Quote from: "Ray Le Otter"
QuotePrefab Sprout- A Prisoner Of The Past

Blimey, forgot about that one. I'm sure that the CD single had Paddy's awful "Where The Heart Is" theme on it as an extra track.

Jesus, I never knew that was by McAloon! What a comedown; it's probably the most hideous, sickly, Hallmark-card theme music I've ever heard. Makes the Neighbours theme seem positively punk rock.

Utter Shit

Is it bad that on reading the title of this thread, the first thing that came into my head...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACEMAAAAAAAAAAN, I ALWAYS WANTED YOU TO KNOOOOOOOOOOOW...

deft exponent

I Feel Better Than James Brown - Was (Not Was)

"Nineteen tequilas later we had a deal / Havana goes back to the mob, and Fidel and I open a chain of Kentucky Fried Chicken shops..."

Tokyo Sexwhale

Forever and Ever - Slik
If - The Bluetones
Every Day Hurts - Sad Cafe
More Than a Feeling - Boston
Going Out - Supergrass
More, More, More - Andrea True Connection
Get Up and Boogie - Silver Convention (my favourite song as a 4 year old)
Love Rears It's Ugly Head - Living Colour
Screamager - Therapy?
After All - The Frank n Walters
Two Times - Ann Lee
Set You Free - N-Trance
I Know You Got Soul - Eric B & Rakim
Pump Up The Volume - M/A/R/R/S

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Love Rears It's Ugly Head - Living Colour

There were some absolutely top tunes on the first two Living Colour albums.
Their reunion album from a year or so ago ('Collideoscope') stands as one of my huge recent-ish musical disappointments.  

It's had some stiff competition from this year's Porcupine Tree offering - 'Deadwing' - an ugly slab of metal --- why did they stop being a psychedelic/ambient joy?

Tokyo Sexwhale

I don't think I've heard anything else by Living Colour, but that was on the radio all the time in (1990/91?) and I thought it was fantastic.  

When I finally get around to getting broadband, I'll look them up.

Living Colour were a band of two halves.  The vocalist Corey Glover loves soul music - Al Green's influence can be heard all over his solo album - while guitarist Vernon Reid is a self-confessed Hendrix nut.  Between soul and (sometimes rather noisy) hard rock, they were often pulling in opposing directions.