Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:44:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forgotten Hit Singles You Love

Started by TJ, July 30, 2005, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Trucks

Building a Bridge to your Heart by Wax (thanks to Total Nightmare for reminding me in another thread)

Come Live with Me by Heaven 17

Neville Chamberlain

It's Immaterial - Driving Away from Home

The Mumbler

My favourite forgotten Heaven 17 single is Sunset Now from 1984.  They were great for a while - why do people only ever play Temptation or Fascist Groove Thang?

Neville Chamberlain

Ruff, Ruff and Ready - Tribal Mutation

OK, it wasn't a hit single by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely one of the great 'forgotten' punk tracks.

The Culture Bunker

I'm In Love With a German Film Star by the Passions

sam and janet evening

What's come over me? - Frente
Trouble - Lindsay Buckingham
In Liverpool - Suzanne Vega
(at least I think they were hits, could be wrong)

23 Daves

Freur - Doot
Landscape - Norman Bates
Bomb The Bass - Beat Dis

cilamc

"Turn The Music Up" The Players Association (1979)
"Living In The Plastic Age" The Buggles (1980)
"Mind Of A Toy" Visage (1981)
"Swords Of A Thousand Men" Tenpole Tudor (1981)
"Drowning In Berlin" The Mobiles (1982)
"Don't Miss The Partyline" Bizz Nizz (1990)
"Carry Me Home" Gloworm (1994)
"Crayzy Man" Blast featuring VDC (1994)
"The Promise You Made" Cock Robin (1986)
"No Memory" Scarlet Fantastic (1987)
"Roobarb and Custard" Shaft (1991)
"Hey Matthew" Karel Fialka (1987)
"Crazy" Icehouse (1988)
"Witness For The World" Cry Before Dawn (1989)
"Such a Feeling" Bizarre Inc (1991)
"Dirty Cash" Adventyures Of Stevie V (1990)

None of which are that forgotten of course, since they all just popped into my head.

dan dirty ape

Some I remember liking as a nipper, in those salad 'finger poised to press record button the second DJ stops talking' days. Can't vouch for the quality of some of thse now.

Colonel Abrams - Trapped
That 'amityville' one with the robot voice going 'amityville, house on the hill'
Sly Fox - Let's Go All The Way (I imagined it was being sung by the character Sly Fox from the cartoon and toy series MASK)
Full Force- Alice, I Want You Just For Me
Freez- Southern Freez

phantom_power

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"

That 'amityville' one with the robot voice going 'amityville, house on the hill'

by lovebug starsky i think

i recently heard boops by sly and robbie and it still sounds strange and fantastic now as it did then

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I wish there was a radio station that played tracks like these, instead of just House of Fun and Love Shack. Or a compilation CD called 'Forgotten 80s' or something.

Oh, another one: Louise by The Human League. A hit at the time, but you never hear it these days.

Labian Quest

Quote from: "Jim"It's Immaterial - Driving Away from Home

Yep, that was a classic, they also had a great single before that called 'Gigantic raft in the Philipines'

The Mumbler

...And a great one after that called Ed's Funky Diner.  Which I bought, but only about 20 other people did.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Rules and Regulations by We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Going to Use It - the video was never off The Chart Show in '86.

And Since Yesterday by Strawberry Switchblade, of course.

Labian Quest

Quote from: "The Mumbler"...And a great one after that called Ed's Funky Diner.  Which I bought, but only about 20 other people did.

Just found this site, it's got 'raft' and few other tracks on it but not that one:

http://www.theacf.com/immaterial/#sounds

23 Daves

Quote from: "The Mumbler"...And a great one after that called Ed's Funky Diner.  Which I bought, but only about 20 other people did.

I've got the twelve inch of this, so count me as being among the twenty!  The twelve inch also came with a nifty and eerie cover version of "When The Revolution Comes".

Has anyone heard or does anyone own the It's Immaterial album?  I genuinely like what I've got of theirs and actually thought quite strongly about buying it back in the eighties, but pocket money was a scarce commodity in those days.

One of their number ended up joining the Christians, I believe - who, uninterestingly enough, didn't go on to produce any superb singles as such, but did put on one of the most unexpectedly great live gigs I was ever sent to review.  So there you go... or maybe you don't.

RHX

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Police Officer by Smiley Culture

The Show by Doug E Fresh

(If anybody can find an mp3 of those two on the net somehere, please please post a link here...)

The Show: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=40I0W8WE

Paul Dee

White Town - Your Woman
Scarlet - Independent Love Song

23 Daves

Quote from: "Paul Dee"White Town - Your Woman

Not too sure how much longer that's going to remain 'forgotten' for, since there's a cover version of it out at the moment that seems to be on quite solid rotation on various Music Cable channels.  I can't quite remember who has taken it on, though.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Cheers, RHX - I'll listen when I get home. Been wanting to hear it again for years.

Paul Dee

Urgh, a quick googling gives this from the White Town website:

QuoteTyler James Covers 'Your Woman'June 29, 2005 at 9:10 pm | News

That's Tyler James above - handsome bugger, eh?

Here's what he has to say about his cover version of 'Your Woman.'

Tell us about the single. It's a cover, isn't it?

T.J.: 'Your Woman' - originally by White Town. I just finished filming the video this week.

Why that song?

T.J.: I loved it when I was growing up. It was out when I was about eleven or twelve and it's a song that's always stayed with me. I've always loved the sample. I did try adapting the lyrics but decided in the end to stick with the original. It's just got something about it.
(Source: Glastonbury Festival )

Click here to have a look at Tyler James' website - I can't see it because I've sworn off the evil known as Flash and there isn't a non-Flash version  

I haven't heard the cover yet but I'm immensely flattered that he's chosen to cover one of my songs. I look forward to hearing him sing:

"so much for all your highbrow, Marxist ways..."

I guess this means I'll get another slew of puzzled emails asking whether I'm gay / a woman / a commie / a gay, commie woman...

Umm.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Is Propaganda's Duel a forgotten single? Or is it so famous as a forgotten single that it's not forgotten at all?

Ditto the Art of Noise singles.

How about I'm Not Scared by Eighth Wonder? A Pet Shop Boys single in all but name.

Joe le Taxi by Vanessa Paradis.

23 Daves

I quite enjoy the idea of those lyrics being sung by someone who looks as if they're fresh from drama school, actually.  I'd imagine it will puzzle the fuck out of the present generation of Smash Hits readers, though - I can't see my niece going for it for one thing.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "RHX"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"The Show by Doug E Fresh

(If anybody can find an mp3 of those two on the net somehere, please please post a link here...)
The Show: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=40I0W8WE
Oooh, thanks for that (even though it wasn't me who asked for it in the first place), nice to hear it again.  12" mix, I think.  It's aged surprisingly well too, doesn't sound nearly twenty years old, does it?

Sadly though it must be a recent CD reissue, as it's "Michelle"-less.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Is Propaganda's Duel a forgotten single? Or is it so famous as a forgotten single that it's not forgotten at all.

I suspect that a lot of people don't know its title or perhaps the artist, but the sheer number of people who I've played it to, who've said, "Good God, so that's what it's called".

At least Duel gets played on Radio 2 every now and again.  Dr. Mabuse *never* gets played on the radio.

morgs

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"'Thinking of You' by The Colourfield.

YEEEEESSSSS!!!

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

It was lovely hearing The Show again - a note-perfect Proustian rush, as they say.

'I saw a pretty girl so I sat beside her/Then she went roar, she was Tony the Tiger/I said 'Oh darn, there has been a mistake/Honey, my name's Slick Rick, not Frosty Flake...'

morgs

PHd - I won't let you down

Actually there are thousands of these!  Trouble is, some of the ones I loved were never hits which defeats the idea of 'forgotten hits'.  Maybe a thread for 'Songs that should have been big hits but weren't....'

A big hit which I never hear is Duran Duran 'New moon on Monday'.

Howard Jones 'New Song'

Nik Kershaw 'Wouldn't it be good'

Though I daresay that these are played top death somewhere yet I manage to miss them.  Definitely haven't heard "Star Trekkin'" recently mind you.

mothman

Bugger! Someone remembered Scarlet Fantastic's "No Memory" before I did.

Nu Shooz - "I Can't Wait" - love this song. Even better, a few years ago one of the video channels was doing an 80s marathon and I saw the video, followed by. . .
Alphaville - "Big in Japan" - they're actually still going, big on the continent, some of their stuff is quite good.
Hazel O'Connor - "Will You" - unnecessarily long sax solo!
Jan Hammer - "Crockett's Theme" - I used to have this on 7" - wonder if I still do, and if it's worth anything yet?
Plastic Bertrand - "Ca Plane Pour Moi" - probably the most played song on my iPod. I am the King of the Divan.

[Edit - NO Shooz? Bugger!]

Pretty.Polly

God I love 'Will You' but I agree with you on the Sax solo, a little on the over indulgent side.

I also have a soft spot for 'The Time is Now'' Moloko  Cracking tune.