Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Casualty in the 1980s

Started by Virgo76, July 05, 2021, 07:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Quote from: Glebe on July 07, 2021, 04:35:57 AM
Yeah, the Masters weak spot is ridiculous, all they have to do is get punched in the gob and they're fucked. Hmmm, a Tripods/Casualty crossover would be great!

Yes! It would be!
They were the weird alien things who operated the Tripods weren't they? I remember finding that bit in the books a bit odd. The Master used to cuddle the boy in a slightly sinister way he didn't like? All quite strange. I didn't blame him at all for whacking him in the 'Death Star' hole.
(Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't read the second Tripods book from the 1960s yet)

Glebe

"Please phone Holby as I have taken a whack in the gob."

"Righto, Nightmare Fuel."

pigamus

Quote from: Virgo76 on July 07, 2021, 07:02:03 AM
I think that has happened quite a bit already actually. Clive Mantle was in both series (as the same character) for one.
I once saw Clive Mantle in an Indian restaurant in Bristol in the early 2000s. I've never seen anyone receive so much unsolicited female attention in my life. That's what being in Robin of Sherwood gets you, I suppose.

I always thought he was quite dull in Casualty - he was nowhere near as good as Julian.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jenna appleseed on July 08, 2021, 11:58:27 PM
Did every fucking 90s sports teacher claim that that as a real thing that had happened?

Yes. And our fuckwit P.E. teacher that looked like, and was more chaotic than Barry Chuckle made his tall tales even more unbelievable by always making the protagonist 'the boy before lunch'.

petril

we just had one PE teacher who'd teach us basketball by doing a dribble but also role play this little action where he'd point and mouth to an imaginary teammate

and an older one with a moustache that might have been a football ref and just talked about golf

greencalx

I know this isn't a current Casualty thread but last nights episode was a classic case of entirely predictable storylines. My wife guessed almost straight away that Charlie was being catfished and as soon as the curtain went back on the abuse victim I had a feeling she would turn out to be the abuser, a scenario we've seen several times before.

Somewhere we have a bingo card with "ectopic pregnancy", "Lyme disease" and "Munchausen by proxy" on it. These all seem to happen in Holby way more than anywhere else. Maybe something in the water?

Quote from: greencalx on July 11, 2021, 08:48:11 AM
I know this isn't a current Casualty thread but last nights episode was a classic case of entirely predictable storylines. My wife guessed almost straight away that Charlie was being catfished and as soon as the curtain went back on the abuse victim I had a feeling she would turn out to be the abuser, a scenario we've seen several times before.

Somewhere we have a bingo card with "ectopic pregnancy", "Lyme disease" and "Munchausen by proxy" on it. These all seem to happen in Holby way more than anywhere else. Maybe something in the water?

Back in the early 2000's when I watched Holby religiously, they had a spate of storylines where a pregnant woman came in, about to go into labour, and it turned out that the baby would have been fathered by someone other than the 'official' father, and that person would always be visiting (how many people visit women in labour?).  Often the official father's brother, or also a teenage girl and the father being mum's boyfriend.  Family gatherings in Holby must be 'interesting' occasions.

Also, two staff members in Holby have died following accidents with a defibrillator; I don't think (and I did read some papers for work-related purposes, and found nothing) that any real life medical worker, anywhere in the world, has ever died like this. 

Attila

Lev's storyline has been driving me bonkers (mostly because of the glacial pace at which it moves), but the guest-casting of his dad made me sit up and take notice with a 'wait, what?' this week. 
Spoiler alert
Alexei Sayle
[close]
for those of you playing along at home.

greencalx

Yes I wish they'd get on with the Lev storyline. I presume it got slowed down because of covid filming schedules, bubbles etc. Also seems to have been some weird beard continuity. At first I thought it was flashbacks but I think his beard does just come and go from one week to the next.

There's also not been nearly enough Dylan recently.

BlodwynPig

pigamus

JesusAndYourBush

Really mad episode of Casualty yesterday where one of the main characters has developed the ability to go back in time and replay events to try and get a better outcome whenever he argues with his toxic girlfriend.

greencalx

If there's one thing I hate more than patients who hang around for longer than a single episode, it's when they go all arty with the format.

I presume the idea is that the "Speak up" bits were Jacob imagining the consequences of that particular action, rather than actual time-travel. But who knows? Maybe there is a worm-hole in Holby - perhaps even the same one that cures long-forgotten characters of their life-changing conditions to give them a second run at the scripts. Either that or because they seem to be limited to one socially-distanced accident per episode just now, they need something else to fill the run-time, even after having knocked 10 minutes off that.

JesusAndYourBush

Yeah I was only joking, I didn't think Jacob possessed Groundhog-Day-style time repeating abilities.  Presumably it's to show that he can't say what he wants to say because he knows what sort of a reaction he'll get, so he's having to carefully craft his words so as not to antagonise her, and going by that last scene he's not always successful.

greencalx

Yeah, but it was a load of old shite though wasn't it.

JesusAndYourBush

Yeah.  There's far too many nutters on that show (& Holby).  You can see that relationship isn't going to end well.  I know it must be a stressful job being a doctor/nurse, but it gets a bit boring when there's just a succession of nutters.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Glebe on July 06, 2021, 08:06:14 PM
Just finished watching The Tripods online recently, Casualty theme composer Ken Freeman also did the theme for that

Ha, yes, 0bvious when you hear them together now, they're practically the same tune played on the same synth setting

Attila

Misread that initially as Triffids, and for a moment hoped it was the Casualty cross-over I've been waiting for all my life (I think they've done everything except alien invasion, including an episode where the main cast was menaced by sharks).

Sebastian Cobb

Had a quick look on Youtube to see if there was a compilation of opening accidents but there isn't yet people make compilations of title credits. Makes no sense.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 27, 2021, 12:47:03 AM
Yeah.  There's far too many nutters on that show (& Holby).  You can see that relationship isn't going to end well.  I know it must be a stressful job being a doctor/nurse, but it gets a bit boring when there's just a succession of nutters.

I stopped watching it every week round about the time that one of the nurses in Holby turned out to be a serial killer.  A bit of tension, fine.  Complex personalities beneath the caring facades, fine.  Actual serial killer, in addition to all of the catastrophes that periodically happened in Holby, was just a stretch too far.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on July 27, 2021, 02:10:20 PM
I stopped watching it every week round about the time that one of the nurses in Holby turned out to be a serial killer.  A bit of tension, fine.  Complex personalities beneath the caring facades, fine.  Actual serial killer, in addition to all of the catastrophes that periodically happened in Holby, was just a stretch too far.

I knew I'd been watching Hollyoaks way too long when I got to my second serial killer plot.

JesusAndYourBush

Jacula is back! (Holby City)

And I enjoyed the 'up the jacksy' gag.

EDIT:
(Spoiilered because it's a line of dialogue from near the end of this evenings episode. Not that it'll spoil anything as it's meaningless in isolation.)
Spoiler alert
"So we just bend over and take it up the..."
(interrupting) "Jac sees all human interaction as warfare."
[close]

Attila

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 27, 2021, 12:47:03 AM

I will admit, I loved the year of Mad Scientist Paul McGann -- mainly because I just assumed it was actually his character from Paper Mask.

Fun to see Jac back, as there are some genuinely great lines and that with her, but I would like to go back and rewatch/fill in the gaps when her character originally appeared. Top anguish fun with her and Joseph.

greencalx

Tonight's was a banger, one of the funniest episodes for a while. Partly due to the contortions involved in having a wedding in a universe where social distancing isn't really a thing, whilst during filming it really seemed to be. But mostly because of the way the
Spoiler alert
second train did for Lev after he came back from the dead of the first.
[close]
My wife and I were in stitches at that.

JesusAndYourBush

It definitely was a banger, and that spoilered bit is something I've seen mentioned in the film cliche's thread.

greencalx

Well you don't go to Casualty if you're looking for originality!

Attila

Crikey! (re: this week's Casualty, which I look at on Sunday mornings). My exclamations when
Spoiler alert
Lev popped up from behind one train only to be flattened by the other -- and was not expecting to see him laid out on the tracks afterwards
[close]
brought Mr Attila up the stairs and sent the cats into a run-around-like-maniacs frenzy.

Wasn't expecting that outcome for the wedding, although I should have been, having watched this show for decades. It's probably wrong that I end up laughing so much over these episodes, but then again I was originally told that the show was a comedy.

Cerys

Quote from: Glebe on July 06, 2021, 08:06:14 PM
Just finished watching The Tripods online recently, Casualty theme composer Ken Freeman also did the theme for that.

Thankyou!  At the time, I spotted the similarity and wondered if they were both written by the same composer, but never managed to find out.

Glebe

Quote from: Cerys on August 09, 2021, 01:10:37 AMThankyou!  At the time, I spotted the similarity and wondered if they were both written by the same composer, but never managed to find out.

*thumbs up!*

greencalx

Quote from: Attila on August 08, 2021, 05:40:32 PM
Wasn't expecting that outcome for the wedding, although I should have been, having watched this show for decades. It's probably wrong that I end up laughing so much over these episodes, but then again I was originally told that the show was a comedy.

It sounds like we have a similar sense of humour...