Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,377
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you keep track of the films you watch?

Started by privatefriend, July 05, 2021, 01:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

privatefriend

Is there an app/site you would recommend for that?

No interest in leaving reviews but perhaps a film recommendation feature would be nice.

Johnboy

Yes, I've been doing it the last few years

IMDB is your best bet, you can make your own lists

I use the Watchlist function to bookmark both things i want to see and things I've just seen and then throw them into your list of choice

Chedney Honks

Letterboxd is probably what you're looking for.

privatefriend

What is letterboxd like in terms of ads, does it try and push you towards a certain streaming service?

Finding that my mind goes a bit blank trying to think of what I've watched recently if the subject ever comes up, which has nothing to do with also drinking beers and wine every night.

Dusty Substance

I keep a track of everything on a fucking MAMMOTH Excel spreadsheet. Don't want to use IMDB as it's owned by Am*zon. I did have a Letterboxd account for a while but I'm not bothered about sharing and found that they pushed the social aspect a bit too much, but it's a well designed and easy to use site without too much fiddling about.

Not what you asked but I also use JustWatch as a Too Watch tool. It's the best site I've found which shows where you can watch something online and provides a direct link to the streaming platform.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: privatefriend on July 05, 2021, 01:17:51 PM
What is letterboxd like in terms of ads, does it try and push you towards a certain streaming service?
I have Adblock, so...no idea. It's very handy though, I recommend giving it a go.

Fr.Bigley

sevendaughters

Letterboxd is great, no sense of being overtly advertised to at all.

privatefriend

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 05, 2021, 02:37:00 PM
You should ask Michael Owen.

I'm looking to keep track of the films that I have been forced to watch.

#HateFilms

Greg Torso

Another rec here for Letterboxd. Good for keeping track of what I've watched (like OP, I am terrible for remembering what I've watched or what it was called), making lists of stuff I want to watch, and also looking at other users' lists for finding out about obscure stuff. No ads that I'm aware of, and also under each film entry it gives a list of streaming services/channels where you can currently find the film. You don't need to engage with it beyond that, although if you are inclined, you can write reviews and interract with other film-watching cunts.

Shit Good Nose

Yep another vote for Letterboxd.  You can lock it down as much as you want.

One good thing you can do is mark up a film every time you watch it, so you can also keep track of not only what you've watched but how many times you've seen it.

phantom_power

Another Letterboxd fan. There is no read advertising and I ignore the social media aspect. I simply use it to track what films I have seen and maintain a watchlist of films I like the look of. It is good to go through other users lists to get inspiration for watchlists or remind me of films I have seen but overlooked.

shagatha crustie

RateYourMusic for me - obviously started out as a music database but it's great for films too, you can rate, catalogue and review, similar to Letterboxd but more arguments, hipsters and failed writers.

Did think about switching to Letterboxd but it was taking too long to copy my watched-list over.

SteveDave

I write down on the films I watch in a year on a note on my phone. I mark them all out of 5 and then at the end of the year, the films with 5 all go into a big ring in my head and battle it out to be my best film. In 2019 the best film was "One Cut Of The Dead" and last year the best film was "Little Murders". The front runners so far this year are "The Long Good Friday", "Kid Detective", "The Day The Earth Caught Fire" or "Never Let Go".

itsfredtitmus

Piece of paper and screenshots from scenes I like

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 05, 2021, 01:55:19 PM
I keep a track of everything on a fucking MAMMOTH Excel spreadsheet.

Same here. But then also Letterboxd is the main one at the moment. Before that the main one was icheckmovies but that never properly took off - I still use it though; there's a bunch of lists it's got inbuilt into the site and for every entry it shows you which ones it's on. I also use IMDb even though I would prefer not to because of the aforementioned Bezoose issue however it's very handy, especially because it's got "you might also like" which is what you seem to be after. Then finally there's Criticker, which you input your ratings into and then it uses an algorithm to predict how you'd rate other films based on an aggregate of people who've rated similar to you.

EDIT to say: a while back we had a Letterboxd thread where some of us shared our Letterboxd accounts - if anyone would like to follow me there I'm zomgmouse.

Dex Sawash

Dusty Substance

Quote from: shagatha crustie on July 05, 2021, 03:42:35 PM
RateYourMusic for me - obviously started out as a music database but it's great for films too, you can rate, catalogue and review, similar to Letterboxd but more arguments, hipsters and failed writers.

RateYourMusic is a good choice due to the fact that it's relatively limited to compared to IMDB. As mentioned in a recent thread IMDB has far too much going on, such as YouTube videos. My relatively mild OCD wouldn't be able to handle the sheer amount of choices available to keep a track of. I actually use RateYourMusic as a definitive guide as to what I log on my Excel spread sheet - If it's on RYM and I've seen it, it gets logged - Films, documentaries, TV movies, short films, animations etc.

Replies From View

If you can't remember the films you've seen then maybe they weren't good enough to be entered into Lotus 1-2-3

bomb_dog

...then you see something coming up late night on Horror channel that looks like it's worth a punt and you find you've already seen it but it takes you 30 mins before any of it is recognisable.

Been there done that a few times

Johnboy

I've converted to letterboxd, seems more versatile than imdb so far

https://letterboxd.com/johnboy71/

Small Man Big Horse

I use imdb and am a recent convert to letterbox (https://letterboxd.com/alexwfinch/ if anyone fancies adding me I shall of course reciprocate).

Quote from: Replies From View on July 07, 2021, 02:08:49 PM
If you can't remember the films you've seen then maybe they weren't good enough to be entered into Lotus 1-2-3

Quote from: bomb_dog on July 07, 2021, 02:12:58 PM
...then you see something coming up late night on Horror channel that looks like it's worth a punt and you find you've already seen it but it takes you 30 mins before any of it is recognisable.

Been there done that a few times

That's happened to me a couple of times, plus sometimes I know I've watched something years back and can't remember if I liked it or not, so both sites come in handy surprisingly / worryingly often.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on July 07, 2021, 02:08:49 PM

I definitely want to keep track of the ones that weren't good enough to remember, so I don't find myself accidentally watching them again.

purlieu

I just put them on my IMDB watchlist. Not what it's for, I know, but does the job pretty easily.

chveik

letterboxd is a better database but i prefer to list them on MUBI for aesthetic reasons

Famous Mortimer

Thomas

Quote from: Dusty Substance on July 05, 2021, 01:55:19 PM
I keep a track of everything on a fucking MAMMOTH Excel spreadsheet.

My effort is slightly more retro than your Letterboxds and online databases - I have a yearly Word doc on the go, comprising separate lists of films, documentaries, and TV series/serials.

As mentioned somewhere in a recent thread, this can lead to profound agonising over whether a production qualifies as a fully fledged film, a TV film, or a TV serial.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on July 07, 2021, 05:20:38 PM
I definitely want to keep track of the ones that weren't good enough to remember, so I don't find myself accidentally watching them again.

This sounds fair

Goldentony

the one problem with Letterboxd is the lists you have to fucking crawl through to get to anything good. Every time I watch something i've really enjoyed I go to look if it's on a list with anything similar only to get EVERY FILM EVER RELEASED and ALL 90000 FILMS MENTIONED ON THE BOLLOCK RUDDER PODCAST

lists with more than about 70 films on - fucking ban them, fucking delete their accounts

Famous Mortimer

You should definitely be able to hide lists - there's a couple of them which are little more than "here's every single thing on Letterboxd". I like making extremely specific lists:

https://letterboxd.com/famous_mortimer/list/movies-about-bikini-carwashes-with-bikini/