Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CABers favourite underrated albums or recent underrated albums?

Started by willbo, July 05, 2021, 08:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Picked up this the other day:

I guess the easiest way to describe it would be 'Motown's answer to Betty Davis'. Although I don't think Fair did much more than an LP's worth of tracks + singles if discogs is anything to go by.

I don't think it's that well known, certainly enough copies going cheapish on discogs and the border on the artwork makes it look like it was a cheap compilation or something.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 05, 2021, 10:10:54 PM
Sorry to derail the thread so soon, but what? Not aware of this...

UK/Irland

Belong Nowhere   4:51
The Loyaliser   3:14
Popemobile To Paraguay   4:38
Walk your. Way   4:56
Brunceling's Song   4:02
Lost In The Former West   2:47
Nite Flights   3:49
Your World Customer   3:30
Sunken Cities   3:52 Like Boooorrrring!
Brain Blister   3:57
A Walk In The Woods   5:11
Humiliate Me   3:41

USA! USA! USA!

1   Belong Nowhere
2   The Loyaliser
3   Something Bad
4   Popemobile To Paraguay
5   Walk In The Woods
6   Nite Flights
7   Go Home Bible Mike
8   Brain Blister
9   Walk your Way
10   Your World Customer
11   Brunceling's Song
12   Humiliate Me
13   Lost In The Former West

Maybe it's because I heard the American version first. Dunno.

But I wouldn't worry about derailing the thread, it'll soon go into a list of albums people like.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Jockice on July 06, 2021, 10:38:17 AM
If you're going to become a Fatimas fan (which I am. Very much so), it's best to start at the beginning with Against Nature, Viva Dead Ponies and Bertie's Brochures. The later stuff's good (superb in places) but it didn't have as much impact. On me anyway.

My two favourite underrated albums are from the same year. 1983. OMD's Dazzle Ships and The Undertones' The Sin Of Pride. You could probably add Elvis Costello's Punch The Clock to that as well. Just a 'pop album' apparently.

Viva was the first one I got, and I still love.

Punch The Clock is my favourite Costello album, just behind Armed Forces. I bought it to cheer myself up when Lucy Salter dumped me (28 I was etc) so it has an emotional resonance for me too.

Jockice

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 06, 2021, 12:30:32 PM

Punch The Clock is my favourite Costello album, just behind Armed Forces. I bought it to cheer myself up when Lucy Salter dumped me (28 I was etc) so it has an emotional resonance for me too.

I bought it on my 18th birthday. 28 I was. Etc.

Johnboy

The second Pale Saints album - In Ribbons

and while i'm at it the second Television album - Adventure

purlieu

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 06, 2021, 02:28:03 AM
This might be beloved, I admittedly don't know a ton about their best, but

Tangerine Dream - "Hyperborea"

Mostly due to "No Man's Land", which might be my favourite thing of theirs ever. It's in the middle of a lot of rubbish and I don't like anything they did after this, but "Hyperborea" is a belter.
My second favourite TD album, and yes, it's probably the most overlooked album from the 'classic' era ('72-'84-ish). 'No Man's Land' is possibly the best thing they ever did, but overall it's a glorious album, with only 'Cinnamon Road' falling short. Over the years, the more emotive strains of Tangram have thrust it to number 1 position for me, but Hyperborea was my favourite for a long time.

Catchers - Mute
Wonderful 1994 debut album from an unfairly forgotten jangly indie North Irish group. Male and female vocals, cracking melodies, some pretty bleak lyrics in there. I stumbled across it by accident on YouTube and have always been amazed to never come across a single person who's even heard of them. Have a listen to Cotton Dress if it sounds like your sort of thing.

non capisco

Quote from: purlieu on July 06, 2021, 12:48:56 PM
Catchers - Mute
Wonderful 1994 debut album from an unfairly forgotten jangly indie North Irish group. Male and female vocals, cracking melodies, some pretty bleak lyrics in there. I stumbled across it by accident on YouTube and have always been amazed to never come across a single person who's even heard of them. Have a listen to Cotton Dress if it sounds like your sort of thing.

I've heard of them! 'Shifting' off that album is a brilliant song.

Key

Quote from: Jockice on July 06, 2021, 10:45:52 AM
Most underrated Fall ever is Are You Are Missing Winner. Followed directly by their most overrated one, The Real New Fall LP.

I concur, AYAMW is undoubtedly scrappy and half-arsed but has an insane malevolent mood throughout. That one track with gorrillas screeching over what sounds like a motorbike.

My favourite underrated record is 'Stand With the Stillness of This Day' by Elizabeth Anka Vajagic. Promoted at the time as perhaps a move towards singer-songwriter type material for Constellation Records (Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Do Make Say Think.) The record seemed to have flopped because aside from the accompanying E.P. and a few guest spots here and there Vajagic hasn't released a followup in 15 years. I mean, after hearing this record I kinda worry for her.

The record itself is relentlessly, beautifully bleak. Slow funereal drums shuffle around, screwdrivered guitars scratch away covered in icy reverb. Her voice moving from a Nico-ish sulk to a raw out-of-tune wail. Tunes like 'With Hopes Lost' and 'Sleep With Dried Up Tears' I mean I can see why it didn't appeal to a wide audience, but if your down for some harrowing wallowing in misery, and if I know this board. You are. And Desertshore or Closer just isn't scratching the itch any more, this record is for you.

sevendaughters

saw her on a CST Records package tour with Hangedup and Polmo Polpo. Was awesome.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on July 05, 2021, 11:48:05 PM
i think in the early 80s Fall canon, room to live is often left out and seen as a rushed follow-up to hex enduction hour, but it's mint

Absolutely. There's a little too much of Mark's edgy rightwing sputtering on it but it has some incredible lyrics, I don't know how anyone can consider a Fall record with "Hard Life In The Country" on it to be bad. Title track is their best pre-Brix pop song.

Quote from: Jockice on July 06, 2021, 10:45:52 AM
Most underrated Fall ever is Are You Are Missing Winner.

Love this one. I don't get Fall fans saying its easily the worst when its so fucking evil sounding. All the interchangeable garage rock Fall records and the one with "Crop-Dust" and "The Acute" is the worst one?

That said, the Real New Fall LP is quality too. No bad tracks. It's the next run of three that are the most overrated. They all got glowing reviews and they all have a big featureless grey swamp in the middle thats just MES yelling about kids drinking tango and yawning too loud on buses over the same two or three Nuggets riffs.

Video Game Fan 2000

Cookdandbombd underrated album thread: HAVE YOU TRIED LISTENING TO FALL SLIGHTLY MORE THAN YOU ALREADY DO

Egyptian Feast

Delicatessen - Skin Touching Water (1995). I remember the name from the 90s music press, but hadn't heard a note of their music until their song 'C.F. Kane' was mentioned in passing on the Chart Music podcast. They might possibly have made a slightly bigger splash if they'd emerged around the time of the Auteurs and Tindersticks debuts, but there were not many takers for such dark and moody fare while Britpop was in full swing. I was able to pick this (and their follow-up Hustle Into Bed) up for pennies online and the money would've been well spent if 'C.F. Kane' was the only decent track, but it's a really good album overall and definitely worth investigating if that track catches your interest.

Kankurette

chveik

sunn o)))/scott walker's soused is a fucking masterpiece

sevendaughters

here's one that used to very highly rated by critics (I seem to recall it in that Mojo book of records you should own) and nowadays I never hear anyone talk about it at all, I never hear anyone clamour for a reformation, and I've never read any reflective pieces talking up its influence because it doesn't seem to have overtly influenced anyone. But I reckon Camoufleur by Gastr del Sol is a soup-to-nuts masterpiece. Used to be filed under 'post-rock' but then post-rock calcified into 'endless atheist hallelujahs' and now it seems difficult to place.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 06, 2021, 04:43:25 PM. But I reckon Camoufleur by Gastr del Sol is a soup-to-nuts masterpiece.

Good one. Similar picks: When in Vanitas by Brise-Glace and Talker by US Maple

The Crumb

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 06, 2021, 02:13:31 PM
Cookdandbombd underrated album thread: HAVE YOU TRIED LISTENING TO FALL SLIGHTLY MORE THAN YOU ALREADY DO

I swear to god Fall fans are just inventing new albums every time stuff like this happens.

pigamus

Quote from: The Crumb on July 06, 2021, 05:08:49 PM
I swear to god Fall fans are just inventing new albums every time stuff like this happens.

Gro-Bag Patriarchy is easily the most under-rated.

Jockice

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on July 07, 2021, 07:18:23 AM
Gro-Bag Patriarchy is easily the most under-rated.

Crap. I'm a big fan of Marsupial Dogbrush Deception. Ah.

Pauline Walnuts

This was my favourite new album of last year, lots o' good (early) Actress style intricate weavings of deliberately limited tones

My Cruelty - The Secret Weapon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WBw6O7JzEA&list=OLAK5uy_mCX8c_X_UrwdWwlj3j2ju7eLohM54W28A

Not rock though.

This is probably my fav from this year, Diane's Tapes - II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqspbW4dnSE&list=PLAFB20OoL0eZAk7bbhvpCt3l1yXKe4igA

Not a million miles away from the last one to be honest.

Also not rock.

phantom_power

Quote from: Jockice on July 07, 2021, 08:40:07 AM
Crap. I'm a big fan of Marsupial Dogbrush Deception. Ah.

One for the "never not funny" thread. Made up Fall titles

willbo

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 06, 2021, 02:13:31 PM

I must admit when I started this thread I was thinking more of "the next level of fame down from the generic Beatles/Dylan/Bowie/Smiths best albums ever" ...not "the deepest darkest forgotten corners of the scariest obsessive bald men's record collections"... but then I'm way too mainstream to know about a lot of this stuff

holyzombiejesus

Getting a bit tired of these types of threads but...

Jack - Pioneer Soundtracks. Imagine Tindersticks' scrappy little Welsh cousins. It's achingly and brilliantly embarrassing in parts but there's just something about it that I love so much.

Would also mention Fanfarlo's debut as it probably has the greatest discrepancy between my opinion of it and mentions ever (not by me) on here.

phantom_power

I imagine I am on my own with this but I really like the Inspiral Carpets little-loved second album The Beast Inside. A much more sombre, Doors-influenced album than their debut but for me it works. Songs like Niagra, Sleep Well Tonight and Please Be Cruel show a side to them that the didn't really explore afterwards

Deliciousbass

Meadowlands by The Wrens is one that always springs to mind when I think of underrated albums. I think it's really great though, and one of the few albums I can happily listen to beginning to end.

https://youtu.be/knCze3ObduM

Also Alice Donut are severely underrated.

https://youtu.be/kUyRh-OL5OM

Natnar

The Bride by Bat For Lashes. Everyone seems to gush praise for her earlier albums but for me The Bride is where she started to get really good. The second half of the album is wonderfully downbeat.

Video Game Fan 2000

Black Vinyl Shoes by the Shoes

Usually classed with either the Cars or power pop, but its closer to Big Star's 3rd than anything. Lo-fi, echoy and fuzzy. Proto Mary Chain/Pavement in places, a mumbly androgynous early REM elsewhere.

Deliciousbass

Oh! Sidi Bou Said - Bodies is a great jangly pop album! Produced by Tim Smith of Cardiacs. Catchy as a great big glove!

Here are two tracks ayyaeyee!

https://youtu.be/t1sVJ1SqD40

https://youtu.be/lePvMfK92Vw