Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Switch Oled (omg switch Pro released this changes everything!)

Started by DocDaneeka, July 06, 2021, 04:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocDaneeka

So a new Switch has finally been announced and I'm glad that it's a pretty Dull Upgrade of a better screen and twice the internal memory. So no need to replace my switch.

Chedney Honks

This looks and sounds like the revision literally nobody wanted. Congratulations.

Kelvin

Hilarious that it's barely an upgrade at all. After all the buzz and rumours, they'd have been better off setting expectations ages ago.

Chedney Honks

I've been really Pro-Nintendo this past gen, I have bought hundreds of games but it's been a long long time since I played any Nintendo game I really enjoyed and my Switch is basically a backup shmup machine these days.

This is a laughably shit and complacent release, but Nintendo were ever thus. Hubris to fuck paedophile cunts.

Kelvin

I mean, what was all that stuff about upscaling about? Was that just nonsense, was it scrapped, or do Nintendo still plan another version, with that upscaling tech, for, say 2022 or 2023, with Zelda? Have all the rumours really just been about this?

DocDaneeka

Guess it was all bollocks from "insiders" who wanted some attention, then Loads of game sites made stories about it for clicks and Nintendo did their usual we don't comment on rumours thing.

Genuinely glad though, I don't want to have to buy some upgraded version so I can enjoy the new Zelda "how it is meant to be played" or feel like I'm missing out.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shaky

Bought a Switch about 6 months ago so I too am thrilled with this news.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Kelvin on July 06, 2021, 05:33:18 PM
I mean, what was all that stuff about upscaling about? Was that just nonsense, was it scrapped, or do Nintendo still plan another version, with that upscaling tech, for, say 2022 or 2023, with Zelda? Have all the rumours really just been about this?

"according to people familiar with the matter." is what the sources seem to lead back to.

I know I've got the benefit of hindsight and all, but I really don't see why Nintendo would do a more graphically powerful switch. They haven't competed on graphics since the N64, and honestly who looks at Zelda and thinks, "cuh, this looks rubbish because it's 1080p".

Kelvin

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 07, 2021, 09:50:02 AM
"according to people familiar with the matter." is what the sources seem to lead back to.

I know I've got the benefit of hindsight and all, but I really don't see why Nintendo would do a more graphically powerful switch. They haven't competed on graphics since the N64, and honestly who looks at Zelda and thinks, "cuh, this looks rubbish because it's 1080p".

I'm not personally that bothered about the graphics. But more games, including first party ones, are definitely suffering from framerate issues now, and the list of games that can be ported from other consoles is rapidly shrinking, and growing older.

peanutbutter

I suppose they're a bit averse towards doing a New 3DS type update when the long term plan potentially could be incremental updates to the Switch format, but it surely wouldn't have hurt to have done something like the memory bump of the PSP slim

Chedney Honks

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 07, 2021, 09:50:02 AMThey haven't competed on graphics since the N64, and honestly who looks at Zelda and thinks, "cuh, this looks rubbish because it's 1080p".

Nowt to do with mega resolution, it's a question of performance at this point. A number of their own first/second-party games over the last couple of years are clearly hampered by the hardware, not even hitting a stable 30fps or even 720p, in some cases.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Kelvin on July 07, 2021, 10:37:41 AM
I'm not personally that bothered about the graphics. But more games, including first party ones, are definitely suffering from framerate issues now, and the list of games that can be ported from other consoles is rapidly shrinking, and growing older.

I was thinking about the rumours of fancy upscaling tech. Fair point on the frame rate issues, but it's difficult to see how to do an improvement that fixes that without splitting the market, and Nintendo need to be extra careful about that due to their young audience. The PS4pro/XBox X were specifically for 4k output, and in theory at least, the older versions can play everything as well as the upgraded versions, just not in 4K. That doesn't work with framerate problems.

Beagle 2

Staggered they haven't even added Bluetooth! Still, nice to see it brought right up to the standard of what my Vita was packing nine years ago. 

Thursday

I didn't want some new version of the Switch, who wanted some bollocks like "Breath of the Wild 2 is 60 FPS on Switch Pro. £300 You peasant." Fuck off with that. Obviously everyone who spread nonsense about it being more is a cunt.

popcorn

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 07, 2021, 09:50:02 AM
They haven't competed on graphics since the N64

I don't think that's quite true - Star Wars and Luigi's Mansion on GameCube were fucking dazzling at the time! (but yeah I take your point)

oustropique

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/nintendo-s-oled-switch-to-bridge-gap-before-more-powerful-console-8211-analysts-65373428

Hardly surprising in terms of why the refresh hasn't happened just yet, but the portable / home hybrid console is a perfect formula that Nintendo would be idiots not to keep iterating on, so it's a safe bet, surely, that an upgrade along the lines of the PS4/PS5 (where it's functionally the same console) will come when the part shortage dies down.