Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:58:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CAB's best albums of 2005 - 2010?

Started by willbo, July 06, 2021, 05:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

I really lost interest in music in for a while the late 00s. I pretty much stopped seeing bands (unless dragged with friends) and buying many albums (other than a couple of my fave metal and hip-hop acts). I kind of lost interest in rock, the landfill indie and emo eras just put me off the radio and I had other stuff going on in my life too. I often wish I'd made more effort to keep up as it kind of took me an emotional effort to get back into it.

I made a thread on Reddit about the era not being great for me musically, and got these responses -

"Burial, Gojira, SunnO))), Arcade Fire, Mastodon, the xx, Venetian Snares, Crystal Castles, Dillinger Escape Plan released seminal records"

"Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise (which is in my opinion, one of the greatest albums ever penned) ...Arctic Monkeys completely took us all by surprise this year. Muse released one of their most creative albums before they disappeared up their own arses, Amy Winehouse made one of my favourite ever records, Brand New released TDAG (their best work IMO), Stadium Arcadium also came along which some regard as RHCP's best (not me) ... In Rainbows - goddamn incredible. Neon Bible - even more so...Vampire Weekend's debut and Elbow released the grammy award winning Seldom Seen Kid (cracking album that)"

"Say Anything - In Defense Of The Genre (2007) ,Dirty Projectors - Rise Above (2007), Dirty Projectors - The Getty Address (2005), The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride (2008)"

so that's some of Reddit's picks ...and actually, I started liking pop more at one point, like Goldfrapp, Mika, Scissor Sisters and Kate Nash, because I was always hearing it at work. And my 2 fave artists of the era were probably Kanye West and Opeth.

Thinking harder, I got into Boards of Canada, Gorillaz, MGMT, and Róisín Murphy's solo stuff around then too.

I just feel like in general, no matter how much good stuff was released, it was a tough time to be a music fan. Like the radio seemed blander and a lot of my fave artists seemed worn out. And there's all the internet stuff that was changing things. Dunno how you all feel though?

sevendaughters

feels like an era in need of some historicising. if you read that 2001-2011 on NYC rock book by Lizzie Goodman, it is much weaker through the last 6/7 years of this period as the sex has gone and all the bands have become lumpen careerists. the game was changing for critics, artists, and rockism got its final major arrows through the arteries.

these are off the top of my head, which means reverting to type in my bread and butter of guitar music. I am sure there are others that miss this brief, but this period of time is also one I'm happy to forget for a while.

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum
James Blackshaw - The Glass Bead Game
Burial - Untrue
Broadcast - Tender Buttons
Deerhunter - Cryptograms
Dungen - Ta Det Lungt
The Futureheads - The Futureheads
Liars - Drum's Not Dead
Jim O'Rourke & Friends - All Kinds of People Love Burt Bacharach
Portishead - Third
Sightings - Through the Panama
Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
Wilderness - Wilderness
Yellow Swans - At All Ends
Yellow Swans - Going Places

actually a couple of these are 2004 aren't they?

St Vincent - Actor
TVOTR - Dear Science,
Blonde Redhead - 23
Couple from Mogwai - Mr Beast, Hawk Is Howling

I feel like it's harder and harder to find new music from about 2005 onwards myself, but think that's more a sign of me not getting to as many gigs. Of those I've listed above, I got into many of them later, but they are among my very favourite albums.

willbo

Is Fishscale the hip hop album by a Wu Tang member? (one of the ones beginning with G?) I think I briefly heard that at one point though didn't give it it's due

chveik

not that great of a period for hip hop IMHO, apart from Clipse's Hell Hath No Fury, Ghostface Killah's Fishcale and Edan's Beauty & the Beat.

other than that still loads of great albums

Coil - The Ape of Naples
Susumu Hirasawa - Byakkyoa
Scott Walker - The Drift
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses - Perils
Boris/Merzbow - Rock Dream
Getatchew Mekurya/The Ex - Moa Anbessa
Magma - Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré
Secret Chiefs 3 - Xaphan
Sir Richard Bishop - While My Guitar Silently Bleeds
Natural Snow Buildings - Daughter of Darkness
Five Starcle Men - Gomba Reject Ward Japan
Shit and Shine - Ladybird
Drunkdriver/Mattin - List of Profound Insecurities
pretty much everything from Midori, Big Blood, The Legendary Pink Dots and i agree with the Yellow Swans mentions

some of my fav free jazz albums too

Braxton/Graves/Parker - Beyond Quantum
David S. Ware Quartet - Live in the World
Ornette Coleman - Sound Grammar
ONJO - Out to Lunch
Braxton/Frith - Duo Victoriaville
William Parker - Double Sunrise Over Neptune
Electric Masada - At the Mountains of Madness

edit: sorry for the huge list, when i start i can't help myself

Inspector Norse

There's certainly a lot of stuff I love from this period but it's the point where music stops being tied to its era, for me: the last 15-20 years have marked a change in music's role in culture and how we consume it, as well as a creative and stylistic plateau (or basecamp) for most 20th-century genres, so it becomes much harder to know a record is from 2003, 2006, 2012 or 2019 than it is to remember if something's from 1992 or 1995.

Long story short, can't name things off the top of my head the way I'd be able to for individual years from 63-99

peanutbutter

Quote from: willbo on July 06, 2021, 05:50:07 PM
" Stadium Arcadium also came along which some regard as RHCP's best (not me) "
The Dani California double album? No they dont.

I remember 2007 and 2010 being absolute knockout years for music. Although 2007 in particular was probably also boosted by it being the first year I was starting to get a bit bored or relentless exploring older obvious classic stuff from before my time

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2005-2010/

imitationleather

I'd have to say Best of Razorlight.

sevendaughters

Quote from: chveik on July 06, 2021, 06:43:57 PM

Drunkdriver/Mattin - List of Profound Insecurities

nice. did you pick up Drunkdriver's CANCELLED album?

rue the polywhirl

Best albums clearly by far and away Boards Of Canada - The Campfire Headphase. Underheralded at the time and later immortalised in a episode of IT Crowd. Well done BoC!

also-rans:
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Boris - Pink
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Kate Bush - Ariel
The Good, The Bad & The Queen - s/t

Animal Collective and Panda Bear made their most popular albums:

Feels (2005)
Strawberry Jam (2007)
Person Pitch (2007)
Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009)

The time of big animal names (Caribou, Grizzly Bear, Gorrilaz).

Egyptian Feast

of Montreal's albums of the period take some beating (especially if you cheat and move the start date back a year): Satanic Panic, Sunlandic Twins, Hissing Fauna, Icons EP, Skeletal Lamping and False Priest.

sevendaughters

I suppose I should have Person Pitch in. It meant a lot at the time, shared personal stuff.

I'd also throw Love Is Real by John Maus in, despite contemporary misgivings about him. Funnily enough his strange pal Ariel was largely absent during this time.

What are the sonic markers of this time? Chillwave?

chveik

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 06, 2021, 07:06:07 PM
nice. did you pick up Drunkdriver's CANCELLED album?

oh shit i wasn't even aware he was a wrong 'un! but yeah i like that album :)

but that collab is one of the heaviest thing i've ever heard

Pauline Walnuts

I can't remember, I think this was post the stage I was bored of the Post Rockers bringing out the same album for years and still getting called 'experimental', I think I was drifting more towards the pop end of things, Peaches, Princess Superstar, 18+, that sort of thing.

I'm up to 400 on that Rateyourmusic thing and the only one's I recognise are the older artists PJ Harvey, Portishead, Boards of Canada, Tom Waits.

It must be the children that are wrong.

imitationleather

Drunkdrivers are always wrong'uns in my book.

sevendaughters

Quote from: chveik on July 06, 2021, 07:12:10 PM
oh shit i wasn't even aware he was a wrong 'un! but yeah i like that album :)

but that collab is one of the heaviest thing i've ever heard

think the drummer was accused of some shit. was the first cancellation by internet i was aware of. never leaves me.

if you like unending horror and heaviness then I recommend Entrance by Sword Heaven, which probably should be on my list. It frightens me too much to play the vinyl in full.

Norton Canes

Details are a bit sketchy prior to The Great Hard Drive Crash of 2009 but...

British Sea Power - Open Season [2005]
Justice - Cross [2007]
Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling [2008]
Filthy Dukes - Nonsense In The Dark [2009]
Music Go Music - Expressions [2009]
New Young Pony Club - The Optimist [2010]
Twin Shadow - Forget [2010]

Dirty Boy

(having just scanned my shelves)
Broadcast and The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times
Foetus - Hide
Scott Walker - The Drift
Extra Life - Made Flesh
Deerhoof - Offend Maggie
Melvins - A Senile Animal
William D Drake -Briney Hooves
Quote from: chveikElectric Masada - At the Mountains of Madness
Yessssssss!
I like a bit of Zorn (esp Naked City), but that record is the bullseye for me. Some other good ones in that list and some i'll no doubt have to chase down.

willbo

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on July 06, 2021, 07:06:15 PM
Best albums clearly by far and away Boards Of Canada - The Campfire Headphase. Underheralded at the time

not to me - It was my re-introduction to ambient/electronic music after hearing "Hey Saturday Sun" on early morning Radio 2. Deerhoof, Santigold and Ladyhawke are artists from then I like now and wish I had known more about at the time.

BlodwynPig

chveik

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 06, 2021, 07:14:08 PM
think the drummer was accused of some shit. was the first cancellation by internet i was aware of. never leaves me.

if you like unending horror and heaviness then I recommend Entrance by Sword Heaven, which probably should be on my list. It frightens me too much to play the vinyl in full.

of rape apparently.

thanks, i'll check it out

the science eel

Agalloch- Ashes Against the Grain
Mastodon- Blood Mountain & Crack the Skye
Neurosis- Given to the Rising
YOB- The Unreal Never Lived
Amon Amarth- Twilight of the Thunder God
Gojira- From Mars to Sirius & The Way of All Flesh
Anaal Nathrakh- Hell Is Empty and All the Devils Are Here & In The Constellation of The Black Widow

I listen to non metal stuff too, but I'm struggling to name much from that era.

willbo

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on July 06, 2021, 07:46:35 PM
Amon Amarth- Twilight of the Thunder God

ha ha, I was just thinking the other day that's the only album I ever bought new by them and it's the one I listened to least. Not that it's bad, it just didn't grab me like the others by them I've heard. EDIT - no..I was thinking of Deceiver of the Gods not Twilight

the science eel

Glebe

Just one of the top of my head, Black Francis' Bluefinger.