Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CAB's best albums of 2005 - 2010?

Started by willbo, July 06, 2021, 05:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Quote from: Greg Torso on July 07, 2021, 02:18:41 AM
Lot of good noise/weird stuff in 05-10

Coughs - Fright Makes Right
Can't - self-titled , Private Time
Noxagt - Noxagt

I liked the other Coughs record in this time - Secret Passage. Unreal voice on the singer.
I think Can't did a collab record under the name Vampire Can't which absolutely slays.
My fav Noxagt record just missed out here, but I think The Iron Point is the best record on Load.

Greg Torso

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 07, 2021, 09:57:17 AM
I liked the other Coughs record in this time - Secret Passage. Unreal voice on the singer.
I think Can't did a collab record under the name Vampire Can't which absolutely slays.
My fav Noxagt record just missed out here, but I think The Iron Point is the best record on Load.

Yeah, that collab between Can't and Vampire Belt is amazing. I think during this era I was pretty much only listening to stuff on Load, Ultra Eczema and Not Not Fun as far as *NEW* releases were concerned.

kalowski

2006 was a good year!
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
The Court and Spark - Hearts
Aberfeldy - Do Whatever Turns You On
The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics
Calexico - Garen Ruin
Chuck E Weis - 23rd and Stout
The Handsome Family - Last Days of Wonder
Bonnie Prince Billy - The Letting Go
Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
Graham Coxon - Love Travels at Illegal Speeds
The Black Keys - Magic Potion
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors - his last good album?
The Knife - Silent Shout
Howe Gelb - Sno Angel Like You
Loose Fur - Born Again in the USA
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale - I've still not listened to More Fish
Liars - Drum's Not Dead
Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Fur Coat - Discogs says 2005 but I'm sure it was 2006
Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan - Ballad of the Broken Seas
James Yorkston - Year of the Leopard
Pink Mountaintops - Axis of Evol
Willard Grant Conspiracy - Let It Roll
The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes - Was their second album any good?
Prince - 3121 - Probably just me with this one
Tom Waits - Orphans - Is this cheating? Yes.
Scott Walker - The Drift - This is such an amazing piece of work[nb]I once wrote the following about The Drift: It took a break of seven years for Walker to complete The Drift, and to me it is a masterpiece amongst his masterpieces. From the second the crime drama arpeggios of Cossacks Are plays out we are captives in Scott's world. When I first heard Trout Mask Replica I was amazed at how Beefheart managed to create melodies that seemed like they were from different songs to the accompanying music. Here, Walker goes one step further, shifting that connection: sometimes the melody stands outside the rest of the song, and then suddenly they intersect, often with a pause, a breath, and a chance for Walker to intone. Jolson and Jones is a horrorshow musical from the relentless synthetic violence, snapping drum and dark imagery of "As the grossness of spring lolls its blooded head". It's Walker as avant-garde comedian too. He knows what he's doing when yelling, "I'll punch a donkey in the streets of Galway!" but the whinny of the screaming donkey in the song is painful and difficult too. Famously, he had his percussionists punching a slab of pork during Clara and it strikes me that he's committing to authentic sound, to analogue noise, to get as close as possible to reality[/nb]

DrGreggles

Quote from: kalowski on July 08, 2021, 08:49:38 PM
The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes - Was their second album any good?

Never heard it, but it was essentially a different band by then.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Many of my top picks have been mentioned already (e.g. Illinoise, Analord, In Rainbows, Sound of Silver)

I'll throw in Fleet Foxes' debut, and Silent Alarm by Bloc Party.

EDIT: I'll also add Battles self-titled album and Spiritualized's Songs in A & E.

Famous Mortimer

Lots of interesting sounding recommendations in this thread, I thought I was quite widely listened but clearly I've heard fuck all.

Metric - "Live It Out" and "Grow Up And Blow Away"

I just started listening to them again, and while their best stuff is behind them, they're still pretty interesting. "Live It Out" is a gem, and their two big singles - "Monster Hospital" and "Poster Of A Girl" - could have been from completely different bands.

The Mollusk

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on July 08, 2021, 09:47:26 PMBattles self-titled album

I had a go on this album the other week for the first time in at least a decade. I was shocked, not just at how much of it came instantly flooding back to me, but also at how strongly (yet slightly) ahead of its time it was. I feel like they paved the way for so much of that brand of vibrant, colourful and experimental rock music - although I am a bit baked at the moment and can't seem to think of any!

DJ Bob Hoskins

It is indeed a terrific album. Saw them live when they toured it and it was one of the best gigs I've been to. They definitely lost something after Tyondai Braxton left, but the subsequent albums are quality and they remained a fantastic live act.

You'd think I'd have rememberd the actual title of the debut album in question which is of course Mirrored (not simply 'Battles' as I posted earlier).

jamiefairlie

2005 Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering
2006 The Radio Dept - Pet Grief
2007 The Innocence Mission - We Walked in Song
2008 Wye Oak - If Children
2009 Engineers - Three Fact Fader
2010 Midlake - The Courage of Others

Famous Mortimer

Burning Star Core - "Operator Dead...Post Abandoned" (2007)

I don't know enough about noise to make any definitive statements, but this always seemed like an absolute beast of a record. They were a four-piece for this record, and it's massive and extremely intense and I really like the sounds they conjure up.

Chedney Honks

One of my favourite eras of music. AnCo at their peak. Pitchfork at its peak. I listened to a lot of music over that period, almost all American, really creative and joyful.

I haven't read the lists very closely but a few I will always love from this era:

Grouper - Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill
(experimental ambient pop)
El Guincho - Alegranza! (Spanish Person Pitch)
Animal Collective - Water Curses EP (maybe the best thing they ever did)
Chuck Person - Ecco Jams Vol. 1 (0pn invents vaporwave)
The Field - From Here We Go Sublime (beautiful minimal loops)

Chedney Honks

Atlas Sound - Logos

I personally prefer this to any Deerhunter record, and another I absolutely loved during this time. The Panda Bear feature, Walkabout, was Bradford's attempt at writing a Person Pitch song and I think it's still marvellous, and very evocative of the production of that era. Meant a lot to me at the time living on the other side of the world, and resonates in a different way now.

https://youtu.be/ojMh_XZPpGU

Even better, though, was the Laetitia Sadler collab, Quick Canal. Very little to it, billowing organ, a nagging Kraut pulse and her cooing cyclical lyric. About halfway through, it brings in this shoegaze surge and reverb starts to gradually blow it out in all directions until it's falling apart and then suddenly she starts up again with that vocal, cuts straight through like fog lights and barely holds the song together before everything phases out of sync. Absolutely stunning, and gets me every time.

https://youtu.be/C79Q7MV4Fgo

I thought saints were born saints.
I looked in the dirt
And found wisdom is learnt
Through a costly process
Of success and failure.

buttgammon

^Completely forgot about that album, and Quick Canal is indeed a brilliant track. Parallax is another really good album, but I think that was a little bit later.